coffee talk!!

Topics and issues of interest to cavers which are not related to caving. No political or religious discussions, please.

Moderator: Moderators

coffee talk!!

Postby graveleye » Aug 29, 2006 3:56 pm

OK... I am a coffee drinker. I had my first cup at age four and have been drinking it for 36 years now. (I begged for it and Mom made me half cups with lots of cream and sugar, yummy!!) I used to drink it all day long, but now I only have one, and maaaaybe two cups period. But I cant function without the one.. not that I am worried about being addicted to it.

My last camping trip was woefully without real coffee and I had to drink instant instead. Sorry but the taste and the buzz was different, and I didnt like it. I used to have a camp perculator, but i lost it the last time I moved.

Whats your poison? Coffee? Tea? How do you like yours? How do you make it at camp? Starbucks? Folgers(my personal favorite)? Instant? Decaf? Tea? No-Doz? Chew the beans? Abstain completely?
ad astra per aspera

http://www.myspace.com/jamthecontrols

The views expressed in this post are not necessarily those of any organization I am affiliated with.

Become a sustaining member of the SCCI
graveleye
Global Moderator

Name: Kevin Glenn
NSS #: 57238RL

Postby wendy » Aug 29, 2006 5:07 pm

ok plese don't think badly of me for this, but I hate coffee, and never drink it. I don't like the smell of it, the taste of it, and its just not coffee, its anything coffee flavored as well.

I can drink hot tea, but I don't on a regular basis
wendy
Global Moderator

Name: Wendy
NSS #: 53923
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Flint River Grotto

Postby Wayne Harrison » Aug 29, 2006 5:19 pm

For home, we use Starbucks Sumatra (we have them grind it since they have a burr grinder and we only have a blade grinder).

For camp, I use instant but I put it in the percolator cup and percolate it. Doesn't see so "instant" that way.
Last edited by Wayne Harrison on Aug 29, 2006 5:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Wayne Harrison
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

NSS #: 18689 FE
Primary Grotto Affiliation: unaffiliated

Postby NZcaver » Aug 29, 2006 5:27 pm

wendy wrote:ok plese don't think badly of me for this, but I hate coffee, and never drink it. I don't like the smell of it, the taste of it, and its just not coffee, its anything coffee flavored as well.

I can drink hot tea, but I don't on a regular basis

:agree: You and me both, Wendy! :kewl:
NZcaver
Global Moderator

Name: Jansen
NSS #: 50665RL

Postby Teresa » Aug 29, 2006 8:44 pm

I dyed some typing paper brown as a kid with an instant coffee slurry, and the smell of strong coffee has made me nauseous ever since. My family made coffee so strong they need thick diner style mugs for it...maybe if there were coffee with no smell, I could go far it, but haven't been tempted ever since I was 8--didn't like it then, either.

As a rule, I make a quart of English breakfast or teatime (Lipton, if nothing else is available) with two teabags in the morning, and let it steep for 20 minutes to a half hour, add sugar, and drink it hot, lukewarm, cold--until it is gone, usually in the afternoon. I like green tea cold with honey, or hot with Chinese food.

I'm not sure what herbal tea is, but it isn't tea. If push comes to shove, I can drink Darjeeling, but that's black tea, isn't it?

Wasn't a darn thing I could drink in most of Washington, so we took to hauling our own teabags to restaurants. My husband drinks Earl Gray or Constant Comment.

We keep individual packs of coffee and creamer in the house for my brother, who is a coffee-holic.
Teresa
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Re: coffee talk!!

Postby mgmills » Aug 29, 2006 9:12 pm

graveleye wrote:
My last camping trip was woefully without real coffee and I had to drink instant instead. Sorry but the taste and the buzz was different, and I didnt like it. I used to have a camp perculator, but i lost it the last time I moved.

I started drinking coffee as soon as I was old enough to be allowed to hold a cup I think. I drink it black like my parents did. Glenn and I like it different strenghts. I like it moderately strong and he likes it quite a bit weaker. Whoever gets up first gets it their way :-)

Camping we usually perk the coffee on the campstove. . . for backpacking or canoe camping we sometimes use a mug/frenchpress that I found at an outdoor store in the camping section. If I have to go instant I use the bags. They are a bit better (IMHO) than the regular instant.

I like hot tea also but only in the evening. . . never in the morning.
Martha Mills
NSS 39864
mgmills
Global Moderator

Name: Martha Mills
NSS #: 39864
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Dogwood City Grotto

Postby Scott McCrea » Aug 29, 2006 9:32 pm

I don't drink coffee. Just not my cup of tea. :tonguecheek:

I drink a glass of OJ in the morning and tap water the rest of the day. I'm too cheap for anything else.
Scott McCrea
SWAYGO
Scott McCrea
Global Moderator

NSS #: 40839RL
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Flittermouse Grotto

Postby speloman » Aug 29, 2006 10:41 pm

Coffee is the drink of life for me. Working for a mine working funny hrs :cofee: it is the only thing that keeps me going and going and going (:panic: me on coffee). I like it Black and strong. At work we tend to have some old coffee (about 8 hrs old) burnt. Though it is fine like that for me I add a package off hot coco to it and man that is some good stuff. Little grounds at the bottom of the cup no prob it is better that way. Well now that I probably turned every ones tummy I need to go get a cup :wink:
Justin Gleason 48217RE
:looking: If you can't grow it, I mine it.
speloman
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Justin Gleason
NSS #: 48217RE
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Northern Nevada Grotto

Postby JohnL » Aug 30, 2006 12:55 am

Tea for me, My favorite is Earl Grey but for really fast pick me-ups when running late I go with Irish Breakfast Tea :shock: Green Tea is a close second (you can keep all the ones that add lemon or honey or essence of wildebeest) I like it pure and I will add my own wildebeest thank you :tonguecheek:

My wife and I try to go traditional so if we eat russian then we drink russian tea, makes the Chicken Kiev more enjoyable drinking a tea that will strip the paint off a BTR-70

There is a Thai Tea that we have been trying to find. it was jasmine with brown rice in it and it was unbelievable, we asked the waitress what is was so she brought us another hot tea when we tried to explain she said more hot tea?? by this time we had three tea pots on the table.
Former member of the flashlight community
JohnL
Occasional Poster

Postby NZcaver » Aug 30, 2006 2:19 am

Teresa wrote:...Wasn't a darn thing I could drink in most of Washington, so we took to hauling our own teabags to restaurants...

Don't fret, Teresa - I know how you feel. I drag a bunch of tea bags from NZ around the world with me. :cofee:

Won't ever drink the stuff cold, though. Cold tea is just WRONG! :crazy:
NZcaver
Global Moderator

Postby graveleye » Aug 30, 2006 1:56 pm

NZcaver wrote: Cold tea is just WRONG! :crazy:

Blasphemer!!! :boxing: Ice tea is a perfect gentlemans drink. Add a tad of lemon or a sprig of mint, and it exudes culture!! My wife makes an iced tea drink where she infuses it with a dash of almond extract and some lemonade and buddy, that is mmm mmm GOOD!

That being said, I drink hot tea a lot in the winter. Green, Earl Grey is all fine to me.

But still, every day, one cup of coffee and two if the first one didnt take. Got to have it. Oh boy I am cranky if I am denied my cup.
ad astra per aspera

http://www.myspace.com/jamthecontrols

The views expressed in this post are not necessarily those of any organization I am affiliated with.

Become a sustaining member of the SCCI
graveleye
Global Moderator

Name: Kevin Glenn
NSS #: 57238RL

Postby Sean Ryan » Aug 30, 2006 2:07 pm

I never drank coffee until after college. Then it just became unavoidable at work. You can get free coffee at every office in the country, or you can go thirsty. You want to not die of dehydration, you learn how to drink the brown burnt water.
Sean Ryan
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby JoeyS » Aug 30, 2006 2:09 pm

Some people carry their purse everywhere they go, but I have my trusty green Stanley thermos..
I like folgers on workdays, and Starbucks french roast on occasion. I usually finish the whole thermos by the end of the day.
I used to drink the Earl Grey in college, I might pick some up now that everyone's talking about it.
JoeyS
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

NSS #: 57719
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Nashville Grotto

Postby NZcaver » Aug 30, 2006 3:38 pm

graveleye wrote:Blasphemer!!! :boxing: Ice tea is a perfect gentlemans drink. Add a tad of lemon or a sprig of mint, and it exudes culture!! My wife makes an iced tea drink where she infuses it with a dash of almond extract and some lemonade and buddy, that is mmm mmm GOOD!

:excuseme: Perfect gentleman's drink, my :bleep: --- Yuck!!! :yikes:
NZcaver
Global Moderator

Postby Evan G » Aug 30, 2006 3:44 pm

NZ- I'd be careful because southerners are rather sweet on the ice tea and I wouldn't touch that topic with a ten foot pole. Besides they own TAG!
Evan G
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: EEG
NSS #: 28685
Primary Grotto Affiliation: NRMG

Next

Return to Open Talk Forum