After all this time: my new car!

Topics and issues of interest to cavers which are not related to caving. No political or religious discussions, please.

Moderator: Moderators

Postby Evan G » Aug 1, 2006 6:06 pm

The older models (pre-90's) go a total of 55mph and get about 10-15mpg HWY, but they pull 30 tons.

The newer models 90's up have a high/low overdrive and can go 65-70 mph @ (Depending on load) 13-15 mpg. I've heard that they can get better HWY but have not seen it. They are all time 4X4, but when you get into mountain terrain the gas mileage can drop to as low as 4 mpg.

I had a uni 404 for a year that I picked up for 12,000.00 in Alma, CO. It was an older model and was a beast. I do not recommend the older model unless you are a tinker and like life in the slow lane. I had four VW Buses and 6 land rovers so I like to work on my own trucks. It took constant maintance to keep it at tip-top shape. I sold it because I felt the camper was too small and the vech too slow for my tastes. The newer ones are much more hwy friendly.

Remember if your serious about a vech like this Volvo, MAN, Tarta, and many others, make a large backcountry vech. The Volvo's can drive as high 90 mph, they make 4X4 & 6X6's with whatever cab you want on it, but they are very pricey. I'll put it this way; they can make a hummer H1 Alpha look very cheap.

Bob, A friend of mine in Cody (WY), has his for sale for $36,000.00 [Oops, actually selling for $47,000]. (I don't Know if he has sold it yet[not sold yet]) and it is a 416 DOKA Expedition Unimog (pic below). I don’t know what kind of gas mileage that one gets or hwy speeds, because I never drove it. If you are above six feet tall, I'll warn you that the older mog's are not very accommodating. I’m five ten and fit into the driver seat perfectly, but I would not want be taller.

[/img]
Last edited by Evan G on Aug 2, 2006 9:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Evan G
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: EEG
NSS #: 28685
Primary Grotto Affiliation: NRMG

Postby NZcaver » Aug 2, 2006 8:44 pm

Check out this Unimog camper on a U1700L chassis. :kewl:

The 1700L series, and the slightly smaller 1300L series, are what I'm most familiar with. I'm not sure of the diesel mileage (I never paid for fuel myself), but both these models ARE fully selectable between 2WD, 4WD, and diff lock while on-the-move. They are easily capable of at least 90km/h on the highway, and gravel roads or open terrain doesn't slow them down too much more. The fording depth is officially 1.1 meters, but from personal experience they do fine even with water half way up the windshield. (I wish I could post that photo, but it was taken with a film camera.) Other specs are listed here - http://www.unimog.com.au/tech_specs/u1700.pdf

I regularly drove the 1700L in the "normal" troop configuration (like the photo below), and also with aluminum "Conex" containers on the back. These are removeable, and one would make a good (although rather heavy) camper unit. To hold them in place, Unimogs have the same ISO locks as used on standard shipping containers.

The ambulance package made for the 1300L is lighter than the standard containers, being all fiberglass. I drove these a few times too.

However, there was a major flaw with this design. It was found that too much off-road punishment would torque the structure, causing the fiberglass to crack. Rather defeats the purpose of mounting it on a Unimog chassis! Just be aware of that if you plan to build or buy a camper-style back for one of these. Here's a better design for a 1300L.

The guy who built it gives details here - http://www.xor.org.uk/unimog/mymog.htm

[PS - this is all a bit :off topic: from your new car. Sorry, Big A!]
NZcaver
Global Moderator

Name: Jansen
NSS #: 50665RL

Postby Evan G » Aug 2, 2006 9:14 pm

NZ sweet pics and story, thanks!!!:-)

Sorry Big A, :off topic:

SSSsssoooo..... when are you putting the lift kit and mudders on the soobby with the custom paint job of a caver rappel into the hood? :-)
Evan G
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: EEG
NSS #: 28685
Primary Grotto Affiliation: NRMG

Postby bigalpha » Aug 2, 2006 10:51 pm

no way, i dont mind this off-topicness...... these trucks are fascinating!! I love the last camper truck.
bigalpha
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby fuzzy-hair-man » Aug 8, 2006 10:58 pm

Gotta love the Mogs :kewl: The Australian Army used to use them (I don't know if they still do)

But being from Australia I am going to chime in with Australia's alternative the OKA:

http://www.oka.com.au/

Although on a more practical level (considering fuel prices here) I'd settle for a 90's Landcruiser troop carrier with the back set up for camping etc. The 'Cruiser would chew through the fuel too much anyway. :cry:
fuzzy-hair-man
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Primary Grotto Affiliation: NUCC

Postby bigalpha » Aug 8, 2006 11:02 pm

fuzzy -- that is an awesome camper/truck .. perfect for going where nobody else could. looks pretty roomy considering what it is.
bigalpha
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby Nico » Aug 9, 2006 1:13 am

I want one for my birthday on the 19 of this month
Saludos
Nico
Nico
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby bigalpha » Aug 9, 2006 2:19 pm

lol Nico -- mine is the 24th of this month!
bigalpha
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby Scott McCrea » Aug 9, 2006 3:22 pm

Don't forget about the Sportsmobile. Perhaps a little more practical than a MOG? Maybe Tim White can chime in and tell us how practical they are?
Scott McCrea
SWAYGO
Scott McCrea
Global Moderator

NSS #: 40839RL
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Flittermouse Grotto

Postby Nico » Aug 10, 2006 12:55 pm

a caver from Texas that atended the Palmito restoration trip in Bustamante had a very similar rig scott.

lol Nico -- mine is the 24th of this month!

sweet,
an oka would be too much to ask, I guess a caving trip to cure my SUDS would be enough.

*SUDS= Severe Underground Deficiency Syndrome
Saludos
Nico
Nico
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Previous

Return to Open Talk Forum