Quick wifi question

Topics and issues of interest to cavers which are not related to caving. No political or religious discussions, please.

Moderator: Moderators

Postby NZcaver » May 29, 2006 2:04 am

Tubo Longo wrote:...Still, at least in Italy (but as far as I know in most of Europe) is plainly illegally to listen to police and other emergency agencies communications. More, to use a radio transmitter/receiver you have to have a permit and stay within assigned frequencies...

Good to know. I have a ham radio friend in Switzerland who regularly uses his AR 3000 scanner, which picks up police, cellphones, etc. I never imagined other western European countries would be so restrictive with the use of radio receivers. Of course using a transmitter usually requires holding an appropriate license or otherwise being authorized by the nature of your work/duties - but that's the same in most countries.

So if I ever visit Italy with my ham radio handheld, perhaps I won't mention that it also functions as a wideband scanner... :wink:
NZcaver
Global Moderator

Name: Jansen
NSS #: 50665RL

Postby Tubo Longo » May 29, 2006 3:24 am

NZcaver wrote: So if I ever visit Italy with my ham radio handheld, perhaps I won't mention that it also functions as a wideband scanner... :wink:

I would better suggest to held it not in your hand, but deeply buried within your luggage. :shhh: :whistle:
Apart any jokes, I don't know what's the situation is in any European country, but my guess is that, also because of the way more stringent privacy laws, even the "picking up" could be quite illegal in many places.

Don't know however how this might exactly apply to Wi-Fi unencrypted signals :question: There are similarities with the radio signal, but may be there isn't a specific law....
Tubo Longo
Prolific Poster

Name: Renato
NSS #: ex 29271
Primary Grotto Affiliation: CGEB SAG CAI of Trieste [Italy]

Postby RescueMan » May 29, 2006 9:34 am

Teresa wrote:Have only had minor 2 viruses in 30 years of PC computing.

You must have started hammering away on an Apple I or a Radio Shack TRS80, since those were the only "personal computers" available in 1976. And you wouldn't have picked up any viruses on the ARPANET at that time, assuming you were even connected to the academic network.

The first IBM PC didn't hit the market until 1981. My mother bought one (at a University discount for about $3000) to do her doctoral dissertation.

In 1977, I was using the newfangled remote video computer terminals which allowed keyboard data entry and video screen output from mainframes. That sure beat the punchcard programming required on the IBM 360 when I did my first programming (Fortran IId) in 1968.

- Robert
RescueMan
Prolific Poster

Postby Teresa » May 29, 2006 1:30 pm

My brother had a Rockwell AIM-65 (big green numbers, little rubber feet, just like the calculators) in 1976, followed by one of the very first Apple II+ machines, on which I taught myself BASIC. During this same era (late 70s-early 80s) I dated a fellow with 7 (count 'em, 7) Trash-80s in his van-- One of the TRS-Is, and later a TRS-III ended up at my house on loan, after he got a TRS-100, one of the first 'laptop' computers.

No, I wasn't on ARPANET, but was quite active with the early computer BBS scene in my town. (BBS=Bulletin Board System: a neolithic Internet run locally by sysops, and usually hooked in somehow to worldwide FidoNet.)
Last edited by Teresa on May 29, 2006 5:17 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Teresa
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby Wayne Harrison » May 29, 2006 2:54 pm

Actually, the Altair 8800 predated the Trash 80 by a year in the home computer market. It was offered in 1975. The first IBM PC came out in 1975. It was an IBM 5100 and predated the 5150 by six years.

My first computer was an Apple II + (the plus being 64K of memory instead of the standard 48K). I was on BBS's, too. The modem for my Apple II+ was a 150/300 baud, but then programs weren't that large back then.
Wayne Harrison
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

NSS #: 18689 FE
Primary Grotto Affiliation: unaffiliated

Postby RescueMan » May 29, 2006 5:17 pm

Wayne Harrison wrote:Actually, the Altair 8800 predated the Trash 80 by a year in the home computer market. It was offered in 1975.

Though it was sold as a kit through Popular Electronics and it left the market pretty quickly.

The first IBM PC came out in 1975. It was an IBM 5100 and predated the 5150 by six years.

Actually, the 5100 was marketed as a "portable computer" for business use (at $10,000 it wasn't going to cut into the home market). The first official PC was the 1981 4.77 Mhz 8088 with 16 kB of RAM, a CGA monitor and keyboard. It was one HOT machine.

My first (used) PC was the IBM PS/2 model 25, built in one piece like the Apples.

- Robert
RescueMan
Prolific Poster

Postby hewhocaves » May 29, 2006 10:24 pm

since we've strted *topic drift*...

my first computer was a Tandy 1000. We splurged and got it with 128K. A few years later I was tasked with expanding that memory up to (gasp!) 256K.

The first computer game I bought was Midway! by Avalon Hill. The game took up 48Kb and was written in BASIC. You could print out the code if you wanted to - it ran about 5 pages.

The computer store sold it to me for $49.99. Some things never change.
hewhocaves
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: John Tudek
NSS #: 36021
Primary Grotto Affiliation: MonGrotto

Postby bigalpha » May 30, 2006 9:56 am

Tubo Longo wrote:
bigalpha wrote:well, it's not really illegal. But, it's not really legal either. So, I guess it's a split. It's not like I hacked a satellite feed or anything. Their Internet is broadcast throughout the neighborhood. My computer just happens to pick it up.

Sorry, but read the other day in the news about a guy who was found guilty to illegally picking up Wi-Fi signals 'cause he was sitting in his car in a neighborhood and surfing the web from his laptop. Might miss some details, but looks like to me Wayne is correct and you miss some rather important details of the story. Or not..??

Well, I am not wardriving. I am sitting in my apartment picking up these stray signals flying my way from some people who don't know crap about wifi. Unless you are looking, you'll never find someone connected to your wifi.

Teresa -
Yes, I think that they disconnect it during the summer because there is nobody hanging out there. Really, that's the only thing I can think. There is no internet IP address, so their router cannot assign one to me. The IP addy I get is a 169. which is rarely used.
bigalpha
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby graveleye » May 30, 2006 11:28 am

interesting that the host usually has nothing to fear from the wi-fi mooch, lest he is downloading something illegal.. in that case, guess who is goign to get their door kicked in by the cops.. the host.

But the wi-fi "pirate" is actually opening his computer up to the host. I've been able to look right into peoples computers from mine once before I encrypted my network. I have an apartment complex nearby and apparently some troll for free hookup. I could have hacked them beyond belief. They would have had a harder time to get into my system.
Best bet is to encrypt and avoid the problem altogether.
ad astra per aspera

http://www.myspace.com/jamthecontrols

The views expressed in this post are not necessarily those of any organization I am affiliated with.

Become a sustaining member of the SCCI
graveleye
Global Moderator

Name: Kevin Glenn
NSS #: 57238RL

Postby Tubo Longo » May 30, 2006 12:15 pm

bigalpha wrote:
Tubo Longo wrote:
bigalpha wrote:well, it's not really illegal. But, it's not really legal either. So, I guess it's a split. It's not like I hacked a satellite feed or anything. Their Internet is broadcast throughout the neighborhood. My computer just happens to pick it up.

Sorry, but read the other day in the news about a guy who was found guilty to illegally picking up Wi-Fi signals 'cause he was sitting in his car in a neighborhood and surfing the web from his laptop. Might miss some details, but looks like to me Wayne is correct and you miss some rather important details of the story. Or not..??

Well, I am not wardriving. I am sitting in my apartment picking up these stray signals flying my way from some people who don't know crap about wifi. Unless you are looking, you'll never find someone connected to your wifi.

Yes bigalpa, you're at your desk. But, and if, is illegal (like in FL), my guess is that sitting in your car or in your couch won't make any difference. Also, I do trust you ain't doing nothing illegal, but read what graveleye wrote: even if you are a PC geek, does it worth? :question: No business with Starbucks from my side, but have a coffee there and pick your sign at their shop for free without trouble. Just my cent :waving:
Tubo Longo
Prolific Poster

Name: Renato
NSS #: ex 29271
Primary Grotto Affiliation: CGEB SAG CAI of Trieste [Italy]

Postby Lava » Jun 1, 2006 11:45 am

I'm of the opinion that if any unencrypted signal is infiltrating the walls of my home, I have a right to use it regardless of what the law says. I get about 7 or 8 wireless networks in my apartment, and for about two years used them as my only internet connection. But one by one they started encrypting so I bought my own connection a few months back.
Lava
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Bruce White
NSS #: 39223
Primary Grotto Affiliation: San Francisco Bay Chapter

Postby bigalpha » Jun 2, 2006 12:44 pm

Lava, I'm with you. If everyone was so worried about me using it, they'd do something about it.

The host dhcp server won't renew my IP addy. Any ideas?
bigalpha
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby Dwight Livingston » Jun 2, 2006 1:36 pm

Lava wrote:I'm of the opinion that if any unencrypted signal is infiltrating the walls of my home, I have a right to use it regardless of what the law says. I get about 7 or 8 wireless networks in my apartment, and for about two years used them as my only internet connection. But one by one they started encrypting so I bought my own connection a few months back.

I don't know the law on this, but it seems to me that, though you might have a right to use any incoming signals, you are broadcasting signals to your neighbor's router. Hard to use the connection without it being two way.
Dwight Livingston
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

NSS #: 27411
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Baltimore Grotto

Postby NZcaver » Jun 23, 2006 2:35 am

UPDATE -
I've just moved again, and (surprise surprise) I've found unencrypted signals from nearby WiFi routers are INVADING my apartment!!! :yikes: :omg:

So I'm now engaged in electronic warfare - and I'm fighting back with everything I have! :duel:
(Like the little card in my laptop that's blasting out RF radiation, and allowing me to be on line right now...) :wink:

--> Translation - I am now happily "mooching" off the WiFi of others. If the connection goes away - and I can't find another - then I will pay for my own AND make it public this time (but still run a firewall on my own machine, of course). Sharing seems like the neighborly thing to do... :-)
NZcaver
Global Moderator

Name: Jansen
NSS #: 50665RL

Postby cob » Jun 23, 2006 9:04 am

not a lawyer, so take all of this with a ton of salt:

The airwaves are public domain (nobody owns them) and regulated by the Federal Communications Commission. To broadcast you need a license, to listen you don't. That is why nobody will ever get arrested for listening to a police scanner (in this country anyway)... the cops don't own the air waves, we do and we let them use them in the public interest (they have to get a license from the FCC just like a ham operator)

There was (I think) a time when talking on a cell phone was considered to be in the public domain, and the cops didn't need a warrant to listen in on your calls. As I understand it, this changed rather quickly. (cell companies are licensed to use the airwaves and "lease" them to you, wifi companies have the same arrangement) Wifi is still new. Emerging technologies always push the boundaries of the law back and forth. Hence, the current confusion. Is using someone else's wifi connection to surf the internet (receiving information only) "broadcasting"? Is using their wifi to send e-mail "broadcasting"? This FL (and all other state laws attempting to regulate wifi) is a joke, simple political pandering, and will probably be thrown out as soon as someone appeals to Federal Court. The states do have the right to add using wifi in the commission of a state crime as a crime of it's own, but that is it. Of course, appeals take money and this guy will probably just stike a deal and pay the fine to make it go away.

The FCC is, as I understand it, the only govt. entity that can regulate the airwaves, and congress thru the interstate commerce clause of the constitution (Article I, sec 8) has the authority to right laws pertaining to it. The FCC, lacking guidance from congress, will just make up the rules as they go along. Of course, the civil law side of all this is entirely different, and I suppose a wifi company could sue somebody for "stealing" (or sharing) their signals. I would know nothing at all about that.

again, this is only a layman's veiw of the law, so take with a TON of salt.

tom
If fate doesn't make you laugh, then you just don't get the joke.
cob
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

PreviousNext

Return to Open Talk Forum