Libre Map Project

Topics and issues of interest to cavers which are not related to caving. No political or religious discussions, please.

Moderator: Moderators

Libre Map Project

Postby tncaver » Jul 27, 2016 9:58 am

I've been using Libre Map project to view toopographic maps online for years. Just recently the link has stopped
working. When I attempt to view the website, I get the 404 or 403 errors saying I don't have permission or the
website is no longer available. Has anyone else experienced this or does anyone know what has happened to
Libremaps?
tncaver
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Re: Libre Map Project

Postby ddseng » Jul 29, 2016 6:48 am

According to Wikipedia, the Libre Map Project hosts it's maps on archive.org. A quick search finds https://archive.org/details/maps_usgs as the location.
ddseng
Infrequent Poster

NSS #: 24371
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Northern Indiana Grotto

Postby tncaver » Jul 29, 2016 7:18 am

ddseng wrote:According to Wikipedia, the Libre Map Project hosts it's maps on archive.org. A quick search finds https://archive.org/details/maps_usgs as the location.

I have already checked that website. It does not list topo maps by name and by state like the old lists used to.
The site you mention is just about useless.
tncaver
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby ddseng » Jul 30, 2016 9:24 am

It does list them by State and then within each state by Lat & Long. Granted, its not the easiest way to find them, but what do you want for nothing :laughing:
ddseng
Infrequent Poster

NSS #: 24371
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Northern Indiana Grotto

Postby tncaver » Jul 30, 2016 9:59 am

ddseng wrote:It does list them by State and then within each state by Lat & Long. Granted, its not the easiest way to find them, but what do you want for nothing :laughing:

I want the old Libre Map Project back. It was awesome. It listed almost every state and each state listed ALL the maps
in alphabetical order. They were downloadable in TIFF format or could be opened online.
tncaver
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby Bob Thrun » Aug 6, 2016 12:37 pm

tncaver wrote:I want the old Libre Map Project back. It was awesome. It listed almost every state and each state listed ALL the maps
in alphabetical order. They were downloadable in TIFF format or could be opened online.

I do not see the point of the Libre Map project. The USGS has ALL the US topo maps as downloadable PDFs. I do mean ALL! I have downloaded 30-minute quads from 1890 and the latest remapping from 2015, all for the same area.There might be three versions of the 1968 map: the original and two revisions with purple overprinting to show changes. The USGS user interface can be confusing because there are multiple ways to get to a particular map. A good place to start is http://nationalmap.gov/ustopo/index.html .

The 1960's and earlier maps are simply scans of paper maps. The current maps have features that can be turned on and off in the PDF viewer. They are based on orthophotos with overlaid features. You can turn off the contours to make the photo clearer or you can turn off the photo to make the contours clearer. You can turn off features until you have a blank sheet of paper.

The current maps are missing features that were in the earlier maps. Buildings are not represented by symbols because they are in the photo. The maps are missing railroads, county lines, and spot elevations.
Bob Thrun
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby tncaver » Aug 6, 2016 12:58 pm

Here's the point. I could down load those topo maps one at a time in as little as 7 seconds and use Windows Picture Viewer
to open them in even less time. I could use the enlarge function to bring up very small detail with good sharpness and
scroll around anywhere on the map. I did not download them to print, only to examine on the computer. It was the quickest,
and easiest way to look at topo maps from almost every state very quickly. I've tried lots of other free topo map websites and
none were as easy or quick to use as Libre Map Project. The only one I liked as much was Topozone when it was free.
The only thing Libre could not do is scroll across topo maps. There are other free programs that will do that though. BTW,
the fast download time was not due to super high speed internet.
I have DSL which is definitely not the fastest or even close. Libre was so quick and easy to use, it was faster than dragging
out my paper maps plus I could zoom in for much better detail. My eyesight isn't as good as it used to be.
tncaver
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby caver.adam » Aug 9, 2016 10:59 am

Newly released free topo maps: http://www.natgeomaps.com/trail-maps/pdf-quads
caver.adam
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Primary Grotto Affiliation: Louisville Grotto

Postby tncaver » Aug 9, 2016 1:58 pm

caver.adam wrote:Newly released free topo maps: http://www.natgeomaps.com/trail-maps/pdf-quads

I have checked that one out. It's pretty good. Maybe that is why Libre quit. But the Libre project was super nice.
tncaver
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby tncaver » Sep 12, 2016 3:32 pm

Yaaa! Libre Map Project is back online!
tncaver
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Return to Open Talk Forum