Alternate Uses For Caving Gear

Topics and issues of interest to cavers which are not related to caving. No political or religious discussions, please.

Moderator: Moderators

Alternate Uses For Caving Gear

Postby tncaver » May 21, 2015 8:16 am

Using vertical gear and ropes to climb and top out a tree that has to be removed. This tree died last year.
tncaver
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Re: Alternate Uses For Caving Gear

Postby Grandpa Caver » May 21, 2015 4:17 pm

discovered long ago my carbide lamp made the best ever night fishing light.
Brian Leavell
NSS 21862FE
Grandpa Caver
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Brian Leavell
NSS #: 21862FE
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Eastern Indiana Grotto

Postby ohiocaver » May 22, 2015 5:15 pm

Caving gear makes a great Halloween costume at parties for non-cavers.
ohiocaver
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: curt harler
NSS #: 22735RCLFe
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Cleveland Grotto MAKC

Postby tncaver » May 22, 2015 5:29 pm

ohiocaver wrote:Caving gear makes a great Halloween costume at parties for non-cavers.

I've done that one before. :laughing:
tncaver
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby chaz » May 23, 2015 5:49 pm

perhaps knee pads for gardening in comfort and a QAS and carabiner when you cant find the dogs leash.
Respect the past and learn, Be active in the present and enjoy, Contribute to the future in a constructive manner. Chaz NSS 55321
chaz
Frequent Poster

Postby spider » May 23, 2015 8:00 pm

I had to take our kitten to the vet and as I drove into the parking lot I saw a sign that said: "All Pets Must Be On Leash -- NO Exceptions." Well, the kitten was wearing a flea collar, but all I had in the car was a 50 ft. length of 7/16 PMI. I tied a bowline (and backed it up with a half-hitch out of habit) around the kitten's collar and with the cat now properly on a leash, marched on into the vet's waiting room. People looked at me kinda funny.
Cave softly,
Galen "Spider" Hekhuis
NSS 9294 RL GWA
spider
Frequent Poster

NSS #: 9294
Primary Grotto Affiliation: FSS

Postby NZcaver » May 24, 2015 3:21 pm

Caving helmet, harness, and lanyard with carabiners for fall prevention in the ceiling on a job site. Don't tell OSHA!

Semi-retired caving ropes re-purposed for tow-ropes, garage hoists, and a low-angle backyard zip line.

Ditto the lazy-option party costume at non-caver events.
NZcaver
Global Moderator

Name: Jansen
NSS #: 50665RL

Postby EmmEeeElliiessessa » Aug 11, 2016 2:39 pm

Keep the good stuff! With the way technology changes nowadays our current gear will be considered vintage before too long too! My husband and I were given his father's old carbide lanterns and gear and we now proudly display them in our home near our fossil and crystal collections. If you're feeling crafty, some items could also be converted into or art. Many tourist attractions and museums collect old gear as well.
EmmEeeElliiessessa
Infrequent Poster

NSS #: 64664

Postby tncaver » Aug 11, 2016 3:55 pm

You are so right. Some of the vertical gear I currently use is no longer used by a vast majority of cavers.
A few years ago, one fellow told me he had never seen a rope walker system like mine. l use a single bungie
Gibbs system which is great for doing deep pits but not so great for doing change overs, or multi drops. I
used it on White Side Mountain and did a change over there (600 foot drop). Not too bad for an antique system.
tncaver
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby CaverScott » Aug 12, 2016 8:34 am

Cleaning the house gutters over the very HIGH and exposed side.

(Rig to a tree or bumper and toss the rope over the apex of the roof. They you can hang on the steeply pitched edge without a fear of falling off.)

:big grin:
CaverScott
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

NSS #: 19797L
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Birmingham CIG SCCi IKC

Postby CaverScott » Aug 12, 2016 8:38 am

Retrieving an extreme geocache from under a bridge in North Carolina (after you attended a business seminar).
https://www.flickr.com/photos/caverscot ... 2870025743

This is the finale:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/caverscot ... 870025743/

SIgning the log book
https://www.flickr.com/photos/caverscot ... 870025743/
CaverScott
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

NSS #: 19797L
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Birmingham CIG SCCi IKC

Postby William Bagwell » Aug 12, 2016 7:30 pm

spider wrote:I had to take our kitten to the vet and as I drove into the parking lot I saw a sign that said: "All Pets Must Be On Leash -- NO Exceptions." Well, the kitten was wearing a flea collar, but all I had in the car was a 50 ft. length of 7/16 PMI. I tied a bowline (and backed it up with a half-hitch out of habit) around the kitten's collar and with the cat now properly on a leash, marched on into the vet's waiting room. People looked at me kinda funny.

LOL thanks to whoever bumped this old thread!

Have gained too much weight since my caving days to fit in any of my old harnesses but my daughter worked in construction for several years before becoming a truck driver. Her modern 'safety harness' is amongst the two pickup trucks worth of tools and stuff that is now in her old bed room :hairpull: Yes, I have used it several times working on the roof of our house. Still have two thirty plus year old ropes which are quite handy taking down trees. Would never dream of hanging on something that old but will tie it to the trailer hitch of a truck in a heart beat. Odd how that works...
William Bagwell
Occasional Poster

NSS #: 24064
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Inactive. DCG mid 1980s

Postby EmmEeeElliiessessa » Sep 29, 2016 9:14 pm

There is an incredibly talented gal named Kassia Thormählen who has been re-purposing old ropes and using them to make rugs, baskets, wall hangings, etc. Her work is absolutely stunning! Her Facebook page can be found here: https://www.facebook.com/ColoROCKdo/about/?entry_point=page_nav_about_item&tab=page_info.
EmmEeeElliiessessa
Infrequent Poster

NSS #: 64664

Return to Open Talk Forum