Cave type stuff in non-caving movies

Topics and issues of interest to cavers which are not related to caving. No political or religious discussions, please.

Moderator: Moderators

Cave type stuff in non-caving movies

Postby JR-Orion » Aug 1, 2013 1:43 pm

Yes, we have cave movies like The Descent, The Cave (2005), and Sanctum. But I was watching The Shawshank Redemption the other day, and there's that scene where Andy is squirming through a tight tunnel while dragging his pack behind him, something I've done underground a time or two. In a cave though, not as part of a prison break!

Speaking of prisons, The Count of Monte Cristo (2002) has some tunnelling, digging, and worming around underground.

The first Rambo movie (First Blood) has a sequence where he's finding his way through an abandoned mine.

First Knight (1995) has Prince Malagant and company in abandoned castle built on top of a cave or mine, with lots of interesting rocks and running water. In fact, when they are trying to find their way out of the underground complex Lancelot says, "if the water can get out, so can we" when selecting a passage. Which is something I've heard off an on over the years if you're ever lost in a cave. Anyway, if that's a real location I'd like to know more about it.

Hmm, just found this on First Knight- A slate mine became the fortress lair of Arthur's enemy, Malagant. Box said: "No more corny castles." He knew there were slate pits in Wales, so he decided to take Malagant underground into his own strange, cavernous world.

Batman Begins has the discovery of the bat cave.

I'm sure there are others.
:grin:
Letting the days go by / water flowing underground
Into the blue again / in the silent water
Under the rocks and stones / there is water underground.
JR-Orion
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Jasen Rogers
NSS #: 61613
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Iowa Grotto

Re: Cave type stuff in non-caving movies

Postby Phil Winkler » Aug 1, 2013 3:23 pm

Adventures of Huck Finn or Tom Sawyer has the cave sequence with Indian Joe that is pretty realistic.
Phil Winkler
13627 FE
Phil Winkler
Global Moderator

NSS #: 13627FE

Postby trogman » Aug 1, 2013 4:18 pm

Phil Winkler wrote:Adventures of Huck Finn or Tom Sawyer has the cave sequence with Indian Joe that is pretty realistic.

That was the first one that popped in my mind, Phil. Of course I remember reading the book long before I ever saw it in a movie. In fact, it was probably part of what helped get me interested in caving in the first place.

If I am not mistaken, isn't the cave in the story actually based on a real cave that Mark Twain knew about?

Trogman :helmet:
trogman
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Stephen Brewer
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Gadsden Grotto

Postby Chads93GT » Aug 1, 2013 8:09 pm

13th warrior
Chads93GT
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby GroundquestMSA » Aug 1, 2013 9:08 pm

trogman wrote:That was the first one that popped in my mind, Phil. Of course I remember reading the book long before I ever saw it in a movie. In fact, it was probably part of what helped get me interested in caving in the first place.

If I am not mistaken, isn't the cave in the story actually based on a real cave that Mark Twain knew about?

Mark Twain Cave, in Marion County, Missouri was visited by Clemens as a child. It's a big network maze that is accurately described in The Adventures of Tom Sawyer, "The cave was but a labyrinth of crooked aisles that ran into each other and out again and led nowhere. It was said that one might wander days and nights together through its intricate tangle of rifts and chasms and never find the end of the cave."

Interestingly, Mark Twain Cave has a twin across the valley, Cameron Cave. These were evidently a single cave before the formation of the valley.
GroundquestMSA
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby The Seeker » Aug 1, 2013 9:09 pm

Letters from Iwo Jima (2006) - several cave scenes throughout the movie which serve a strategic role for the soldiers during the war.
The Seeker
Infrequent Poster

Postby Scott McCrea » Aug 2, 2013 5:28 am

Clint Eastwood uses Prusik knots in The Eiger Sanction.

Barney does a cave rescue on the Andy Griffith Show.
Scott McCrea
SWAYGO
Scott McCrea
Global Moderator

NSS #: 40839RL
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Flittermouse Grotto

Postby graveleye » Aug 2, 2013 7:43 am

Clan of the Cave Bear was all about caves as they were so important to prehistoric man.

Terrible terrible movie, but the book series is fantastic.
ad astra per aspera

http://www.myspace.com/jamthecontrols

The views expressed in this post are not necessarily those of any organization I am affiliated with.

Become a sustaining member of the SCCI
graveleye
Global Moderator

Name: Kevin Glenn
NSS #: 57238RL

Postby msm0711 » Mar 1, 2014 10:44 pm

Found this old thread while searching for something else, but...... in Prometheus, Elizabeth raps from the crashed alien space ship at the end of the movie using, if I remember correctly, a Petzl ID.
msm0711
Frequent Poster

Name: Michael McBride
NSS #: 65541

Return to Open Talk Forum