How to argue online

Topics and issues of interest to cavers which are not related to caving. No political or religious discussions, please.

Moderator: Moderators

Re: Here's another

Postby Wayne Harrison » Apr 26, 2006 6:43 pm

erebus wrote:Handling Porcupines, Trolls, and Other Online Vermin
There are descriptions of troublesome forum users, and techniques for dealing with them.

Thanks for that link. It was an interesting read, although I wouldn't refer to the group as "vermin." They're just another facet of the Internet. If everyone was the same, how boring it would be.

Here's just a snippit, for those who didn't click on the link:

[quote]Zealots: Members of this relatively rare and benign species of online vermin are generally fine until engaged on the topic of their particular obsession. A zealot’s obsession may be religious, political, social, technological, historical – in fact, related to any sphere of life or intellectual endeavor. They confuse their opinions and perspectives on this topic with “the ultimate truth.â€
Wayne Harrison
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

NSS #: 18689 FE
Primary Grotto Affiliation: unaffiliated

Re: Here's another

Postby erebus » Apr 26, 2006 7:24 pm

Wayne Harrison wrote:It was an interesting read, although I wouldn't refer to the group as "vermin." They're just another facet of the Internet. If everyone was the same, how boring it would be.

I agree that "vermin" is kind of harsh. I guess that Ms. Gahran (the author) is very passionate about the subject (although I am hesitant to call her a zealot).
erebus
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

NSS #: 6752

Previous

Return to Open Talk Forum