Long time, No Post

Topics and issues of interest to cavers which are not related to caving. No political or religious discussions, please.

Moderator: Moderators

Long time, No Post

Postby self-deleted_user » Apr 26, 2012 5:52 pm

Well I guess some of you noticed I wasn't posting here anymore. Surprisingly, I've gotten an email here and there recently, as well as meeting a forumite ( :waving: ) at the recent Wedding of the Year of two dear caver friends of mine. Sadly I didn't get a chance to cave with him & his family but weddings are more important! I have caved with his awesome wife before a few times already =) Anyway...yes, some of you noticed right...I signed off back in December and honestly haven't looked back. The attitudes and rudeness I was constantly having to deal with just wasn't worth it. You know who you are, and if you were around, you know what I'm talking about. I don't need that shit in my life, so I just left, and went to a non-NSS cave forum where people are cordial and helpful without being condescending.

Also, I've been busy in real life. With real caves and cave-related activities. I moved to Huntsville in January and am an active member in both the Huntsville Grotto and the Huntsville Cave Rescue Unit. I am enjoying caving every weekend...or more than once a weekend...or during the week....maybe most of those "ors" are "ands"... Additionally, the chance to get on-rope multiple times a month has gotten me somewhat addicted to vertical caving - and long rope - and I am training with the V-Bats with the goal of Golindrinas later this year.

Speaking of caving and vertical work, ridgewalking has been another fun activity especially when we find virgin caves! Recently we found a new pit. I did the sketching and drew up the map, and it has been accepted by the Alabama Cave Survey.

Photography is also going extremely well. I have joined a local photographer guild which has given me a great segway to share techniques and get tips. I am seeing great improvement due to the supportive local photography community. In fact, I was contacted the other week by the editor of a peer-reviewed scientific journal for use of a cave photo I took to be on the cover of the next issue.

Additionally I have been designing and making custom cave gear, for myself and others. It's been fun, I can make it so it fits and works how I want it to, and in the colours I desire. I don't see this turning into a large-scale thing, but I've started making things for Huntsville grotto members and doing patchwork for them as well.

So yes. I've not been posting. I've been busy doing. Doing everything I wanted to do, with people who are supportive and willing to share their knowledge. It's too bad this forum had (has?) people too busy with their egos and being rude and disheartening to show this REAL world of caving to the Internet.

If there is one thing I could thank this forum for though, it would be the results of my "twue wuv" thread I made such a long time ago...a PM I received in response to my creation of that thread blossomed into a friendship and then a relationship, and I am very, VERY happy. ;)
Self-deleted due to large troll population on the forum, and absence of moderation.
self-deleted_user
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Re: Long time, No Post

Postby Marduke » Apr 26, 2012 6:01 pm

;-)
Warning: Don't use this forum! Only armchair cavers and trolls reside here.
Marduke
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby wyandottecaver » Apr 26, 2012 7:23 pm

Sounds like a phone call I once made to my ex-girlfriend. :big grin:

Glad your doing well and happy Amy. I didn't always agree with you but at least the conversations were interesting. :tonguecheek:
I'm not scared of the dark, it's the things IN the dark that make me nervous. :)
wyandottecaver
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby cavercrane97 » Apr 26, 2012 10:13 pm

:waving: Finally some Huntsville Grotto people on here! I felt all alone for a while. :grin:
cavercrane97
Occasional Poster

Name: Brandon Crane
NSS #: 62866
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Huntsville Grotto

Postby NZcaver » Apr 27, 2012 1:07 am

Welcome back! :waving: You can update the location in your profile now. :wink:
NZcaver
Global Moderator

Name: Jansen
NSS #: 50665RL

Postby Indymonkey » Apr 27, 2012 8:16 am

:rofl:
Indymonkey
Occasional Poster

Postby tncaver » Apr 27, 2012 9:50 am

That same attitude you mentioned Amy, is probably why there are 50,000 former NSS members rather than 60,000 plus current members. I'm glad Huntsville
Grotto has come through for you. :kewl:
tncaver
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby self-deleted_user » Apr 27, 2012 10:47 am

cavercrane97 wrote::waving: Finally some Huntsville Grotto people on here! I felt all alone for a while. :grin:

Never alone! See ya at vertical practice tonight!

And because I can, my two current favourite photos to show what I've been up to some... Classic pits you might have seen at least in photos, but probably not like this. And yes, I still just use a simple point and shoot. No ultrazoom, no dSLRs, no interchanging lenses, nothing fancy at all. I hate carrying gear.

Self-deleted due to large troll population on the forum, and absence of moderation.
self-deleted_user
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby BrianC » Apr 27, 2012 3:56 pm

Glad to see you have gone vertical.
BrianC
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby shibumi » Apr 30, 2012 10:56 am

Indymonkey wrote::rofl:

Having deja vu all over again?
shibumi
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby PYoungbaer » Apr 30, 2012 3:20 pm

Welcome back - and lovin' the photos!
PYoungbaer
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

NSS #: 16161 CM FE
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Vermont Cavers Association

Postby Indymonkey » May 8, 2012 9:33 pm

shibumi wrote:
Indymonkey wrote::rofl:

Having deja vu all over again?

It was good for a laugh. :doh:
Indymonkey
Occasional Poster

Postby Jeff Bartlett » Jul 3, 2012 9:34 pm

self-deleted_user wrote:No ultrazoom, no dSLRs, no interchanging lenses, nothing fancy at all.

Except the obvious HDR effect.
"Although it pains me to say it, in this case Jeff is right. Plan accordingly." --Andy Armstrong
Jeff Bartlett
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Jeff Bartlett
NSS #: 59325
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Tennessee Cave Survey

Postby Chads93GT » Aug 2, 2012 8:56 pm

I should get that camera because the photos I take with my olympic stylus tough SUCK fat balls. Hell even my Iphone has HDR............even the one I dropped in suprise pit had HDR.............................
Chads93GT
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Return to Open Talk Forum