phpBB

Topics and issues of interest to cavers which are not related to caving. No political or religious discussions, please.

Moderator: Moderators

phpBB

Postby bigalpha » Apr 3, 2006 6:23 pm

Is there a website that will allow you to practice/learn phpBB.....perhaps giving you a phpBB board that you can access the actual coding so that you can re-code and practice the phpBB? Or maybe just a site that will allow you write some code then display it? Sorry for the wrong terminology -- my brain is slow right this instant. :panic: <--- it's my fav.
bigalpha
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby Wayne Harrison » Apr 3, 2006 7:25 pm

You can DL phpBB at http://www.phpbb.com and play around with it on your own computer. I can't answer your other question as I am not aware of a site that lets you play around with it, unless you pay a monthly server fee. Many web site servers offer phpBB already installed.
Wayne Harrison
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

NSS #: 18689 FE
Primary Grotto Affiliation: unaffiliated

Postby bigalpha » Apr 3, 2006 8:09 pm

If I play around with phpBB, is there something that I can open it with that actually does what the code says? i.e. if you do html, you can save it as a .htm file and open it with IE, then you can see how it looks/
bigalpha
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby Wayne Harrison » Apr 3, 2006 8:28 pm

It's not html. It's primarily php (along with database stuff -- mySQL). If you're interested in learning more about php try http://www.phpfreaks.com . Otherwise, I'd suggest joining the phpBB community forum and posting your questions there so that someone with more knowledge than I can answer.
Wayne Harrison
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby bigalpha » Apr 3, 2006 9:41 pm

I know it's not html -- i was trying to say that when you code something using php, is there a specific program to use to see what the code looks like.

If you were to use php to code the colors of a webpage.....is there a certain program that you'll need to see what the colors look like as you have them coded?
bigalpha
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby Wayne Harrison » Apr 4, 2006 6:19 am

Yeah, there is, but I can't remember what it is at the moment. I bought "php For Dummies" and it had a CD that had the program that you can run on your computer to simulate an Apache server.
Wayne Harrison
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby bigalpha » Apr 4, 2006 7:51 am

gotcha .. maybe I'll try to find Apache and see if I can have it for free. If all else fails, perhaps I'll buy the 'for dummies' book and just from there.
bigalpha
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby Lava » Apr 4, 2006 12:20 pm

You don't have to know how to code php to use PhpBB. My host control panel has an easy Fantastico installer for PhpBB, just click and it's installed. From there it's easy to customize your board by going to the settings area.
Lava
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Bruce White
NSS #: 39223
Primary Grotto Affiliation: San Francisco Bay Chapter

Postby Wayne Harrison » Apr 4, 2006 1:02 pm

Well, for the many modifications, it's a lot of cut and paste but what the original question was, was "Is there a website that will allow you to practice/learn phpBB.....perhaps giving you a phpBB board that you can access the actual coding so that you can re-code and practice the phpBB?"

My responses were to that question.
Wayne Harrison
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby bigalpha » Apr 4, 2006 2:00 pm

I'd like to try my hand working with a DB board first, just cuz it's what I'm most familiar with -- and I haven't found anything that will let you host a DB, and let you play with the code.
bigalpha
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby Wayne Harrison » Apr 4, 2006 2:54 pm

Try some of these: http://tinyurl.com/rx2ql

They offer free phpBB forums.
Wayne Harrison
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby bigalpha » Apr 4, 2006 3:54 pm

Yeah, I went ahead and got a free phpBB forum
Here

Though, it only allows access to the GUI to customize the forum...not the coding. Is that how the NSS DB is too wayne?
bigalpha
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby Wayne Harrison » Apr 4, 2006 4:24 pm

No, it's not. In order to impliment the modifications you see on this forum I have had to sftp in to the server and modify both the phpBB files and the database (in some cases). The upside is, the NSS forum has a lot of bells and whistles you won't find on a "out-of-the-box" phpBB Web site. The downside is it's a bear to deal with when phpBB comes out with a new version because you have to re-code all your modifications from scratch.
Wayne Harrison
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby bigalpha » Apr 4, 2006 4:30 pm

Wow, that sounds like a real hassle. Surely, you don't take care of all that stuff by yourself, do you?

I guess the free sites don't allow you to sftp into the code and modify things. It shows paths for the smilies, etc.....but no option for anything else :(
bigalpha
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby bigalpha » Apr 4, 2006 4:32 pm

It says this:
Path under your phpBB root dir for pre-loaded images, e.g. images/avatars/gallery
The drag is there is no place to access the root dir.
bigalpha
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Return to Open Talk Forum