Funding Your Caving Projects

Topics and issues of interest to cavers which are not related to caving. No political or religious discussions, please.

Moderator: Moderators

Funding Your Caving Projects

Postby David Grimes » Mar 19, 2012 2:53 pm

I wanted to spread the word, I am working on a crowdfunding website for cavers to raise money for caving related projects. The site will be open to projects by individuals or organizations/groups for any caving related project. You could raise money for anything from cleanup projects all the way to purchasing a cave. Projects will be free to post for everyone including organizations. I do want to add that this is my personal project and is not affiliated with the NSS.

I hope this will help many people fund their projects and help get the word out about projects many cavers have going. You will optionally be able to offer perks if you desire. If you are not familiar with crowdfunding it is a simple concept, you ask for donations from people to help your project or cause and they choose to donate to your project. The site will feature many ways for you to get the word out including automatic sharing options for most social networking sites. As with anything else you must be willing to put in a little work to fund your project by spreading the word and as the sites membership grows more people will see your project with less work (but you should still spread the word yourself). There are similar sites for many different topics but one of the biggest is kickstarter.com, you could go to their website and learn more about crowdfunding.

I hope this website will be a success and help my fellow cavers pay for their projects. I should have the site live in the next few weeks, currently I am still testing everything and making last minute tweaks.

Please feel free to make suggestions, I enjoy getting input from everyone. Ideas for other crowdfunding sites are welcome too, I plan to make sites for other topics not related to caving.
David Grimes
Admin

NSS #: 59533
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Indiana Underground Society

Re: Funding Your Caving Projects

Postby WVCaver2011 » Mar 22, 2012 7:47 am

That is a REALLY cool idea!! Along with donations maybe we could offer some things for sale that the group could profit off of. Donations help but to really get people interested in coming to the site (besides cavers) we should have some sort of fundraising products available. Just an idea.... Thanks for putting the time and effort along with money to produce the site! I'm sure it will work out wonderfully!
There's nothing that makes me more excited than finding a place underground that no one has ever seen or been in!

NSS#60861
wvcaver2011
WVCaver2011
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Allen Dove
NSS #: 60861
Primary Grotto Affiliation: WVUSG

Postby David Grimes » Mar 22, 2012 1:52 pm

Thanks for the suggestion, I will look into it. I assume you mean something similar to the websites that allow you to sell t-shirts and stuff with your logo or do you mean more like a swap meet where you sell anything.
David Grimes
Admin

Postby David Grimes » Mar 22, 2012 9:58 pm

Any suggestions on a name for this website?
David Grimes
Admin

Postby NZcaver » Mar 22, 2012 10:20 pm

Cash for caves? :tonguecheek:
NZcaver
Global Moderator

Name: Jansen
NSS #: 50665RL

Postby WVCaver2011 » Mar 23, 2012 8:38 am

David Grimes wrote:Thanks for the suggestion, I will look into it. I assume you mean something similar to the websites that allow you to sell t-shirts and stuff with your logo or do you mean more like a swap meet where you sell anything.

Anything that would raise money. There are a lot of companies out their today who offer fund raising opportunities. I think some actually offer free shipping but that could be for bulk orders only.

Okay, also I think some people would be more interested in just donating an item instead of cash. Perhaps we could sell that item in exchange for cash on ebay or somewhere. I would be willing to sell any item on ebay although for some items their are much better options to increase cash revenue. :wink:
There's nothing that makes me more excited than finding a place underground that no one has ever seen or been in!

NSS#60861
wvcaver2011
WVCaver2011
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby WVCaver2011 » Mar 23, 2012 8:39 am

NZcaver wrote:Cash for caves? :tonguecheek:

:laughing: :funny post: but I like it!!

NSS#60861
wvcaver2011
WVCaver2011
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Return to Open Talk Forum