Info needed from you LED experts

Topics and issues of interest to cavers which are not related to caving. No political or religious discussions, please.

Moderator: Moderators

Info needed from you LED experts

Postby Squirrel Girl » Dec 15, 2011 10:51 am

I have noticed that Christmas lights that are LED lights have some sort of flicker to them. I notice it when driving by some of them and I noticed it when putting up a string around my door. It only seems apparent when there's movement between me and the lights.

It's weird to me because it seems like the flicker is maybe 60 Hz? I don't see it with incandescent lights, so it doesn't make sense that it's related to the power supply.

Any of you smarties able to "enlighten" me? <pun intended>
Barbara Anne am Ende

"Weird people are my people."
Squirrel Girl
Global Moderator

NSS #: 15789

Re: Info needed from you LED experts

Postby Marduke » Dec 15, 2011 11:04 am

They at controlling brightness with pulse width modulation (PWM). Inexpensive systems may just use reversed diodes to limit reverse current as the AC duty cycle reverses, which gives you an abhorently low visible PWM frequency.

PWM is used in MANY lights, including many caving lights, but you want to keep the frequency well above visible levels, definitely >500Hz, >2kHz is even better.
Warning: Don't use this forum! Only armchair cavers and trolls reside here.
Marduke
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby Squirrel Girl » Dec 15, 2011 11:13 am

Marduke wrote:They at controlling brightness with pulse width modulation (PWM). Inexpensive systems may just use reversed diodes to limit reverse current as the AC duty cycle reverses, which gives you an abhorently low visible PWM frequency.

PWM is used in MANY lights, including many caving lights, but you want to keep the frequency well above visible levels, definitely >500Hz, >2kHz is even better.

I knew someone (probably you :waving: ) could answer my question. Sadly, I only kind of understood your answer. Could you explain what the heck you were saying? I'm electrically challenged!
Barbara Anne am Ende

Squirrel Girl
Global Moderator

Postby LukeM » Dec 15, 2011 12:23 pm

Basically, the average current (and therefore brightness) is limited by switching the power to the LEDs on and off really quickly. If it wasn't doing this and just stayed on they would be brighter, or they'd see too much power and burn out.
LukeM
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Luke Mazza
NSS #: 59317
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Syracuse University Outing Club

Postby NZcaver » Dec 15, 2011 3:03 pm

NZcaver
Global Moderator

Name: Jansen
NSS #: 50665RL

Postby Squirrel Girl » Dec 16, 2011 7:36 am

OK, well, that sort of explains it.

Thanks!
Barbara Anne am Ende

Squirrel Girl
Global Moderator

Postby JR-Orion » Dec 22, 2011 3:20 pm

Someone on our block has outdoor Christmas lights that seem to be flashing at a seizure inducing rate. I thought maybe they were set that way on purpose, but now I'm wondering if I'm seeing PWM. Interesting stuff.
Letting the days go by / water flowing underground
Into the blue again / in the silent water
Under the rocks and stones / there is water underground.
JR-Orion
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Jasen Rogers
NSS #: 61613
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Iowa Grotto

Postby Mudduck » Dec 22, 2011 3:25 pm

Back in the day we used to simply wire a 330ohm resister inline with one lead or the other to drop 12-14 volts DC to a something an LED can handle. Given that this was 20 years ago what is different about LED's now that this wouldnt apply?
I think I can...I think I can...I think I can
Mudduck
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Bill Reed
NSS #: 60046
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Currently a Lone caver

Postby Marduke » Dec 22, 2011 3:30 pm

Mudduck wrote:Back in the day we used to simply wire a 330ohm resister inline with one lead or the other to drop 12-14 volts DC to a something an LED can handle. Given that this was 20 years ago what is different about LED's now that this wouldnt apply?

You could, but most LED christmas lights are running straight off AC current without being converted to DC. You just put a couple extra diodes reversed from eachother to power on both portions of the AC cycle. That's the simplest, cheapest way to do it, and produces the worst (and very noticeable) PWM flicker. Better lights up the PWM frequency to something far beyond what humans can see, or use a constant current source instead.
Warning: Don't use this forum! Only armchair cavers and trolls reside here.
Marduke
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby MoonshineR DavE » Dec 23, 2011 8:26 am

I was at Lowes the other day and noticed a Christmas tree with lights that would only flash while I was moving. I went to look at them and it is caused by a "lens" on the led that focuses the beam. When you move around, you get out of the line of one bunch of beams and move into others. It's like staring directly at a flashlight and then moving off to the side so your only seeing the light in the reflector.
MoonshineR DavE
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby Squirrel Girl » Dec 23, 2011 9:23 am

MoonshineR DavE wrote:I was at Lowes the other day and noticed a Christmas tree with lights that would only flash while I was moving. I went to look at them and it is caused by a "lens" on the led that focuses the beam. When you move around, you get out of the line of one bunch of beams and move into others. It's like staring directly at a flashlight and then moving off to the side so your only seeing the light in the reflector.

You mean the faceted covers over some of the LED Christmas lights? That *seems* to be a source of flashing that occur with the lights I have hanging around my front door. But it doesn't seem to be the issue with the lights I drive by that are hung on a fence near my home (which don't have those "bulb covers.") And after seeing the problem with the lights along that fence makes me wonder if there's more to the flickering facet lights than just the facets.
Barbara Anne am Ende

Squirrel Girl
Global Moderator

Return to Open Talk Forum