5000 Cavechat Members

Topics and issues of interest to cavers which are not related to caving. No political or religious discussions, please.

Moderator: Moderators

5000 Cavechat Members

Postby MUD » Nov 6, 2011 8:46 pm

:clap: Looks like "Ivar" registered as the 5000th member!

I'd like to know what date this particular NSS forum was launched. Just wondering how long it took to reach that number of registrants.

:cavechat:
MUD
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Primary Grotto Affiliation: None

Re: 5000 Cavechat Members

Postby Andy » Nov 6, 2011 8:56 pm

Does one get subtracted from the counter when a spammer joins and gets deleted?
Andy
Frequent Poster

NSS #: 29094 FL
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Dayton Underground Grotto

Postby NZcaver » Nov 6, 2011 9:16 pm

5000 members! :woohoo:

Cavemud wrote:I'd like to know what date this particular NSS forum was launched. Just wondering how long it took to reach that number of registrants.

It took 6 years, 2 months, and a few days. This forum was born on August 31, 2005. I joined 7 days later. :waving:

Andy wrote:Does one get subtracted from the counter when a spammer joins and gets deleted?

Yes, assuming a moderator deletes the spammer account along with their spam posts. I do it that way, but not all moderators do. And we occasionally miss spam from time to time. I would expect there are at least a few hundred or more who have slipped through the cracks and skewed the member statistics.
NZcaver
Global Moderator

Name: Jansen
NSS #: 50665RL

Postby Evan G » Nov 6, 2011 9:39 pm

NZcaver wrote:It took 6 years, 2 months, and a few days. This forum was born on August 31, 2005. I joined 7 days later. :waving:

Actually the Soapbox was before that which was remodel to create cavechat and you had to rejoin to belong to cavechat......
Evan G
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: EEG
NSS #: 28685
Primary Grotto Affiliation: NRMG

Postby NZcaver » Nov 6, 2011 10:23 pm

Evan G wrote:
NZcaver wrote:It took 6 years, 2 months, and a few days. This forum was born on August 31, 2005. I joined 7 days later. :waving:

Actually the Soapbox was before that which was remodel to create cavechat and you had to rejoin to belong to cavechat......

There were previous versions of the NSS forum, but this one (forums.caves.org/cavechat.org) began on that date and therefore the membership count started then. I do not recall any requirement to belong to the previous forum before joining this one.
NZcaver
Global Moderator

Postby Evan G » Nov 6, 2011 11:01 pm

" I do not recall any requirement to belong to the previous forum before joining this one." You miss understand, everything was changed which included the php software, so you had rejoin/register aka put in username and password into the new software to be able to using the forum. Then ....well maybe... the soapbox was deleted! It might be still out there in the cloud.
Evan G
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby NZcaver » Nov 7, 2011 12:23 am

Evan G wrote:You miss understand, everything was changed which included the php software, so you had rejoin/register aka put in username and password into the new software to be able to using the forum.

When? Prior to August 31, 2005 or after?

If you mean earlier, I wasn't a member of any of the old forums and any previous member stats would not have carried through anyway. If you mean after that date, I don't recall ever having to re-register and create a new account. I can still pull up my earliest posts, and most of the 5200 posts I've made since. Except those that were deleted in the old infamous political/religious forum. Incidentally Wayne used to periodically reset everybody's post count, so my actual post count is probably a few hundred more. Scary. But I digress...

Forum member joining dates go back to the date I quoted, so that's when the forum member count starts from.
NZcaver
Global Moderator

Postby Evan G » Nov 7, 2011 5:49 am

NZcaver wrote:
Evan G wrote:You miss understand, everything was changed which included the php software, so you had rejoin/register aka put in username and password into the new software to be able to using the forum.

When? Prior to August 31, 2005 or after?

If you mean earlier, I wasn't a member of any of the old forums and any previous member stats would not have carried through anyway. If you mean after that date, I don't recall ever having to re-register and create a new account. I can still pull up my earliest posts, and most of the 5200 posts I've made since. Except those that were deleted in the old infamous political/religious forum. Incidentally Wayne used to periodically reset everybody's post count, so my actual post count is probably a few hundred more. Scary. But I digress...

Forum member joining dates go back to the date I quoted, so that's when the forum member count starts from.

Prior to August 31, 2005, I think it was called the Spelean Soapbox or just Soapbox (2003-2004), I haft ask Wayne. I wonder if the database rolled over into this one or had be tossed, probably tossed. Before it became Cavechat the forum was down for a while 4-6 months [that's when US Cavers forum was created], I think that's when Wayne was looking for better software. The phpBB software was very new at the time and basically untested but became the basis for trolls, flame wars, gamers, and actual productive conversions throughout the web. Just looked it up, the phpBB software 3.0.0 was released and updated around 2005 Aug/Sept time frame.

NZcaver wrote:Incidentally Wayne used to periodically reset everybody's post count, so my actual post count is probably a few hundred more. Scary.

That is scary!!!
Evan G
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby NZcaver » Nov 7, 2011 6:17 am

A little off-topic, but since we're talking about ancient history... isn't it amazing what you find archived on the web? :cavechat:

NSS discussion board 1999-2000

A snapshot of the NSS Forums layout from 2004
NZcaver
Global Moderator

Postby Herman Miller » Nov 7, 2011 8:28 am

yaya 5k members and another shameless post to pad my post count lol :banana_yay:
Herman Miller NSS# 55273SU BOG Candidate 2010, 2012
Herman Miller
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: herman miller
NSS #: 55273
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Permian Basin Speleological Society

Postby LukeM » Nov 7, 2011 9:23 am

NZcaver wrote:A little off-topic, but since we're talking about ancient history... isn't it amazing what you find archived on the web? :cavechat:

NSS discussion board 1999-2000

A snapshot of the NSS Forums layout from 2004

Looks like the second link is the same as the first.

Looking at the thread titles from 2000, nothing seems to have changed since then except the addition of WNS as a hot topic. We sure are a predictable bunch!
LukeM
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Luke Mazza
NSS #: 59317
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Syracuse University Outing Club

Postby Evan G » Nov 7, 2011 11:19 am

I forgot about that discussion board, Wow! Way back!

Here is the soapbox: http://web.archive.org/web/200410120324 ... g/soapbox/

I know one of those 5000 is my original sign up. I had moved in 2005 to Jackson Hole thus changed ISPs and forgot my password into Cave Chat. My old ISP would not let me into my old email account so I had to sign up again.
Evan G
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby David Grimes » Nov 9, 2011 5:33 pm

I was told the original forum was hacked and the entire database was lost. About 6 months later the new forum using phpbb was created. All the current members have signed up since the date NZ posted. He is also correct concerning the spammers, most accounts are deleted but between the inactive spam accounts and old unused accounts there is probably a couple hundred fewer than the actual member count. Cavechat does continue to grow steadily with real users every month we average between 30 - 100 new users. Out of those about 70% are legitimate users.
David Grimes
Admin

NSS #: 59533
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Indiana Underground Society

Postby Bill Putnam » Nov 9, 2011 10:16 pm

David Grimes wrote:Cavechat does continue to grow steadily with real users every month we average between 30 - 100 new users. Out of those about 70% are legitimate users.

... and the rest are BOG members.
:big grin:
Bill Putnam, NSS 21117 RL/FE
Chairman and Chief Troublemaker
The Revolutionary Hodag Party - Thinking outside the cave.

The jackal can roar,
pretending to be a lion.
The lion is not fooled.
Bill Putnam
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

NSS #: 21117
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Revolutionary Hodag Party

Postby DeanWiseman » Nov 10, 2011 7:15 am

Bill Putnam wrote:
David Grimes wrote:Cavechat does continue to grow steadily with real users every month we average between 30 - 100 new users. Out of those about 70% are legitimate users.

... and the rest are BOG members.
:big grin:

:laughing: :rofl:
DeanWiseman
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

NSS #: 32690
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Central Indiana Grotto

Return to Open Talk Forum