Working on a new website

Topics and issues of interest to cavers which are not related to caving. No political or religious discussions, please.

Moderator: Moderators

Working on a new website

Postby cavelocator » Aug 31, 2011 11:59 am

Hey everyone,
I've been interested in caves for a long time. Growing up I used to go out the lava tubes in the Idahoan desert all the time. I was thinking one day that it would be awesome to have a central map/database of caves. So after lots of research and learning a little PHP and SQL I've come up with this. http://www.cavelocator.com. Let me know what you think, any feedback is welcome, this is a work in progress.
cavelocator
Infrequent Poster

Re: Working on a new website

Postby Squirrel Girl » Aug 31, 2011 12:41 pm

Welcome to Cavechat, cavelocator. :waving:

Here at Cavechat, we don't allow the posting of cave locations to avoid undue traffic that can result in damage to the caves. However, since all your caves are show caves (i.e. commercial caves), it's no problem for me!

Nice job. I am close to a failure at PHP, myself.
Barbara Anne am Ende

"Weird people are my people."
Squirrel Girl
Global Moderator

NSS #: 15789

Postby cavelocator » Aug 31, 2011 2:40 pm

Thanks for the welcome.
My original idea included all caves both wild and show, but after reading on the NSS website and thinking about the impacts, I came to realize that in the interest of conservation the site should really only list show caves. I wish I could just put all caves on there, but I've seen too much graffiti in my caving experience and I would hate to enable more stupid people finding caves :grin:
cavelocator
Infrequent Poster

Postby Squirrel Girl » Aug 31, 2011 7:14 pm

cavelocator wrote:Thanks for the welcome.
My original idea included all caves both wild and show, but after reading on the NSS website and thinking about the impacts, I came to realize that in the interest of conservation the site should really only list show caves. I wish I could just put all caves on there, but I've seen too much graffiti in my caving experience and I would hate to enable more stupid people finding caves :grin:

Thanks for being understanding. It's a darn shame that the world works that way. But sadly, it's happened so many darn times, that that's the way we've evolved.

But good luck with your website. There's probably all kinds of stuff you can post that's "legit."
:cave softly: :grin:
Barbara Anne am Ende

"Weird people are my people."
Squirrel Girl
Global Moderator

NSS #: 15789

Postby pub » Aug 31, 2011 9:15 pm

Welcome to Cavechat Ryan...

You might want to check out http://www.showcaves.com, if you haven't yet. It has 3852 Total Entries from 133 Countries:

1222 Showcaves
823 Caves
160 Karst Features
80 Springs
689 Mines
793 Subterranea
74 Gorges

Good luck on your project :waving:
Balincaguin comes from the Zambal phrase, "Bali lan caguing" meaning "house of bats."
This was the former name of the Municipality of Mabini, Pangasinan, when it was part of the Province of Zambales (of Mt. Pinatubo Volcano fame).
pub
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: jerry rendon
NSS #: 61437
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Balincaguin Conservancy Grotto [Primary] + SoCal Grotto

Postby cavelocator » Sep 14, 2011 11:39 am

Yea I have looked at showcaves.com, it is a good resource for me to find caves to add :)
In my research of show caves I found the Grand Canyon Caverns and apparently they have a hotel room in the cavern! President Kennedy declared the caverns a bomb shelter back in '61 so that is how the room got there. It would be a pretty cool room to stay in at 220 ft below ground, but at $700 a night, ouch!! I rather go back out to the caves I camped in as a boy scout for free :)
cavelocator
Infrequent Poster

Return to Open Talk Forum