EARTHQUAKE!!!!

Topics and issues of interest to cavers which are not related to caving. No political or religious discussions, please.

Moderator: Moderators

EARTHQUAKE!!!!

Postby self-deleted_user » Aug 23, 2011 1:37 pm

Okay who here felt that sucker!??!

I'm about 30 min north of Detroit, MI, and I felt it! My first earthquake!!!
"Weird, why does it feel like i'm floating on water or something? Ooh that was a couple 'big waves' oh maybe someone slammed a door to the apartment. Wait...there was no noise...wait...it's still going on...this is an earthquake isn't it??" checked the USGS site, uh yup! Earthquake!!!!

If you don't know what I'm talking about turn on the news, everyone is talking about it :P

Edit: oh hey you can report if you felt it or not! http://earthquake.usgs.gov/earthquakes/ ... index.html
Self-deleted due to large troll population on the forum, and absence of moderation.
self-deleted_user
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Re: EARTHQUAKE!!!!

Postby Phil Winkler » Aug 23, 2011 2:03 pm

I felt the earth move under my feet here in Delaware at 1350 hrs.

A first for me, too. A definite rolling motion and our old, brick building swayed as did my monitor.
Phil Winkler
13627 FE
Phil Winkler
Global Moderator

NSS #: 13627FE

Postby self-deleted_user » Aug 23, 2011 2:25 pm

Is it bad that i thought "well if it happens again bigger, and power is cut, I have enough batteries and lights and candles and food items and water for at least a few days"? Haha (I hate paying for bottled water but I do refill bottles I have whatever it may be and put them in the fridge 'cause I like cold water not tap-cold water, and I freeze waterbottles in case it gets too hot for my rabbits so I have some huge jugs in the freezer) (and after a few days I still could boil water if needed, and could totally survive for a while!)
Self-deleted due to large troll population on the forum, and absence of moderation.
self-deleted_user
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby Squirrel Girl » Aug 23, 2011 3:27 pm

Just like VA's last earthquake, I figured it was just a jet taking off from Dulles. But it became clear, that no, that wasn't it. No, it wasn't construction work on the floor below.

I was on the phone with another geologist: "Is that an earthquake?" "I'm hanging up. We'll talk later."

I did figure that this is VA and I didn't have to go screaming for my life and run out the building! :woohoo:

But it was the largest quake I've ever felt. Much bigger than the one at 4:30 am back in Iowa a few years ago. It felt like a cat jumped on the bed, but there was not cat in that motel room!

This one lasted at least 10 seconds and was a mild vibration, then it ramped up and jolted more strongly for a few more seconds. Very exciting!
Barbara Anne am Ende

"Weird people are my people."
Squirrel Girl
Global Moderator

NSS #: 15789

Postby LukeM » Aug 23, 2011 3:41 pm

Didn't feel a thing in my place of work but everyone I know elsewhere definitely did. Why do I never feel them?! :down:

My SO was at home in a very rigid (brownstone) building and said it was enough shaking to be scary and that she was worried about the fish tank falling or breaking. Very glad it didn't.
LukeM
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Luke Mazza
NSS #: 59317
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Syracuse University Outing Club

Postby Gumby » Aug 23, 2011 4:35 pm

We were down a vent 200 ft, here in California when a 6.9 hit in 1989. We bounced off the cave walls for a good minute or two, and the only shifting that took place was in my shorts. :sadbanana:
never kick a cow turd on a hot day.
Gumby
Occasional Poster

Name: Kevin Kealey
NSS #: 63378

Postby rlboyce » Aug 23, 2011 6:02 pm

For VA and the bordering states, how much of a concern is it that the tremors affected any caves structurally? If not, what exactly does it take for things to start coming down?
Happiness can be measured in mud/in².
rlboyce
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Ryan Boyce

Postby self-deleted_user » Aug 23, 2011 7:14 pm

Talk of that happened on the UK forum while back, apparently a large quake in Mendip years back. And yet, even areas with some seemingly precarious rocks didn't move. Although I recall something about Les jumping on one to make it fall because it was a little too precarious. I should see if I can find that thread again....but anyway tl;dr apparently big shakes can happen and move absolutely nothing underground.
self-deleted_user
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby nathanroser » Aug 23, 2011 7:39 pm

rlboyce wrote:For VA and the bordering states, how much of a concern is it that the tremors affected any caves structurally? If not, what exactly does it take for things to start coming down?

Oh Ryan you're such a nerd. :grin: But one thing it might help that dig in Martinsburg collapse itself open.

I was lifeguarding at the time and thought some kid was shaking the chair.
nathanroser
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Nathan Roser
NSS #: 62848
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Syracuse University Outing Club

Postby rlboyce » Aug 24, 2011 4:53 pm

You forget Nathan, that being a nerd is a prerequisite for being a caver. :big grin: Yeah, I'm hoping if it did anything at all, it did more good than harm. I think Amy's probably right though, it didn't do much.

Them dang kids...
Happiness can be measured in mud/in².
rlboyce
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Ryan Boyce

Return to Open Talk Forum