So what else do yall do?

Topics and issues of interest to cavers which are not related to caving. No political or religious discussions, please.

Moderator: Moderators

So what else do yall do?

Postby Sierra Echo » Jan 8, 2011 10:03 pm

Besides caving that is?
I love to hike, kayak and ride my bike. I like going to flea markets, tattoo parlors, and thrift stores.
I think horror movies rock~! How about yall?
Sierra Echo
Frequent Poster

Re: So what else do yall do?

Postby Chads93GT » Jan 8, 2011 11:24 pm

Hike when I can, kayak, mountain bike, workout, lifting/running miles and miles and miles.

Im also a gear head. I currently have 3 5.0 mustangs, and I never drive them. lol. I used to be a lot worse before I found caving, but I am a major car nut. Never have to pay a mechanic to do anything to any of my vehicles no matter how in depth. I used to be into drag racing big time in the late 90's and early 00's. The guys and i would drive 2 hours 1 way every weekend to the track on friday nights to race. Great times. Tore up a lot of stuff in my old mustang at the track, very very expensive hobby! perhaps I should get back into cars so I spend more time at home (in the garage).

I also throw beatdowns to 12 year olds playing Halo on Xbox live ;) Also been a drummer forever. Played in several bands, currently bandless since I got out of college. just packed my drums up the other day for house "staging" so we can sell and move closer to st louis. bleh!
Last edited by Chads93GT on Jan 9, 2011 12:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Chads93GT
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby MUD » Jan 8, 2011 11:58 pm

I do love to cave. I also dearly love my wife, children, and being a "pappy". I enjoy owning a nice home on a nice piece of land. I love my dogs, cats, chickens, birds and horses. I hike/backpack and do trail building/maintenance. Self-employed, I build/renovate homes for others. I play/collect guitars and am really fond of the sound that comes from a Les Paul Standard plugged straight into a Marshall stack! :big grin:

I really do love to cave!
:cavingrocks:
MUD
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Primary Grotto Affiliation: None

Postby Sierra Echo » Jan 9, 2011 8:51 pm

Chads93GT wrote:Hike when I can, kayak, mountain bike, workout, lifting/running miles and miles and miles.

Im also a gear head. I currently have 3 5.0 mustangs, and I never drive them. lol. I used to be a lot worse before I found caving, but I am a major car nut. Never have to pay a mechanic to do anything to any of my vehicles no matter how in depth. I used to be into drag racing big time in the late 90's and early 00's. The guys and i would drive 2 hours 1 way every weekend to the track on friday nights to race. Great times. Tore up a lot of stuff in my old mustang at the track, very very expensive hobby! perhaps I should get back into cars so I spend more time at home (in the garage).

I also throw beatdowns to 12 year olds playing Halo on Xbox live ;) Also been a drummer forever. Played in several bands, currently bandless since I got out of college. just packed my drums up the other day for house "staging" so we can sell and move closer to st louis. bleh!

Ugh! I had a 1972 AM General jeep that i use to deliver mail out of. That jeep broke down if you even looked at it the wrong way. I learned a lot about working on cars from those horrid years. To this day I'm the only chick I know that carriers jumper cables around in my trunk!
Sierra Echo
Frequent Poster

Postby Sierra Echo » Jan 9, 2011 8:53 pm

Cavemud wrote:I do love to cave. I also dearly love my wife, children, and being a "pappy". I enjoy owning a nice home on a nice piece of land. I love my dogs, cats, chickens, birds and horses. I hike/backpack and do trail building/maintenance. Self-employed, I build/renovate homes for others. I play/collect guitars and am really fond of the sound that comes from a Les Paul Standard plugged straight into a Marshall stack! :big grin:

I really do love to cave!

Do you belong to a trail club? I'm a member of the Ga Appalachian Trail Club. We are responsible for maintaining all 80 miles of the trail in Ga as well as the Duncan Ridge Trail, the AT Approach Trail and another trail at Amicalola State Park. I'm missing the work trip this coming up weekend because I'm going to the Southern Ruck.
Sierra Echo
Frequent Poster

Postby Cody JW » Jan 9, 2011 9:01 pm

I also swim laps , some Kayaking and ride road bicycles in the summer on the endless rural paved roads here in Central Indiana. I am also into dog rescue. I volunteer with a local Siberian Husky rescue group. I do transports about every weekend to help move homeless dogs from city shelters where they likely will be put to sleep to safety with rescue groups. I am also into Indy Car racing and travel to several races in the summertime, spend all May at The Indianapolis Motor Speedway for practice , quals and the big race memorial day weekend. And like most guys follow most spectator sports.
It only takes one person to surrender a dog to a kill shelter ,but it takes many to rescue it.
Cody JW
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Jeff Cody
NSS #: 23961

Postby self-deleted_user » Jan 10, 2011 12:59 am

My other most time consuming hobby is playing capoeira.
Otherwise...breeding&showing rabbits, karate, spinning/crocheting/various fibre arts, drawing, painting...
I also love to sing
Self-deleted due to large troll population on the forum, and absence of moderation.
self-deleted_user
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby commanderzoom » Jan 11, 2011 6:04 am

I really love hiking but haven't been able to go much this winter. I like to go with another person & apparently they're all too wimpy to handle the cold. I'll be dragging people back out as soon as it warms up :clap: . I read a lot, mainly Stephen King but also many other authors. Used to play guitar & am seriously considering taking it up again. I'm a certified nurses aid & worked in a nursing home for 3 years until late September 2010. Should probably be looking for another job but I know I can't handle dealing with the death & dying right now (my grandpa died Sunday morning). In the summer, I like to go floating & swim on the river or one of the larger creeks in the area. Not much for fishing but I'll do it if someone hands me a pole that's all ready to go. Hanging out with friends is another big thing with me but sometimes I need to get away from it all & enjoy the peace & quiet.
commanderzoom
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

NSS #: 61484
Primary Grotto Affiliation: MVG

Postby rebelfirefighter » Jan 11, 2011 6:30 pm

hunting, fishing, hiking, camping, Civil War reenacting, relic hunting, search and rescue...... the list goes on and on
rebelfirefighter
Prolific Poster

Name: Andy Witt
NSS #: 63903
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Pigeon Mountain Grotto

Postby speleo » Jan 11, 2011 8:41 pm

I like to hike, travel, canoe, really anything on the water, and spend time at the beach. I also collect Civil War relics and enjoy reading, history as well as fiction.
speleo
Frequent Poster

Postby paul » Jan 12, 2011 7:20 am

Read and post on Caving Forums?
paul
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Paul Lydon

Postby MUD » Jan 12, 2011 9:27 am

Sierra Echo wrote:Do you belong to a trail club?

Not currently, although I still help maintain and build new trails.Ya gotta give back!

paul wrote:Read and post on Caving Forums?

:big grin: If I lived where I could actually cave I'd probably be non-existent on the board! :waving:
MUD
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Primary Grotto Affiliation: None

Postby tncaver » Jan 12, 2011 12:08 pm

If I lived closer to my caving area and the weather was nice, I wouldn't be posting on here much either. So everyone out there
pray for good weather and cheaper gasoline. :laughing:
tncaver
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby trogman » Jan 19, 2011 10:40 am

commanderzoom wrote:I really love hiking but haven't been able to go much this winter. I like to go with another person & apparently they're all too wimpy to handle the cold. I'll be dragging people back out as soon as it warms up :clap: .

I LOVE hiking in the cold! That's when I do my best ridgewalking. But I have the same problem-getting people to go with me in the cold, and also getting folks to get up earlier! So I usually ridgewalk alone. Maybe not the safest practice, but until I find a partner who will go with me, I will probably continue. Last weekend I ridgewalked 5.5 miles in ~3.5' of snow; the temperature that morning was around 10 degrees. I had a great time, and found a couple of new caves to boot.

In the summertime, I usually stay out of the woods. That's when I break out my bike and ride the rails-to-trails that we have nearby.

Trogman :helmet:
trogman
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Stephen Brewer
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Gadsden Grotto

Postby self-deleted_user » Jan 19, 2011 1:13 pm

Are you like retired or something? I mean, how do you find the time?
Also, I am jealous of your life being able to do that :kewl:
Not the early morning though. I am a night owl.
Self-deleted due to large troll population on the forum, and absence of moderation.
self-deleted_user
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Next

Return to Open Talk Forum