Oh WOW!

Topics and issues of interest to cavers which are not related to caving. No political or religious discussions, please.

Moderator: Moderators

Oh WOW!

Postby Sierra Echo » Dec 28, 2010 5:07 pm

LOL!
I see on this message board all it takes is one click to make someone a friend or foe~! Now I have seen where you can add people to your friend list, but not a foe list!! What is the average amount of people on the standard foe list around here? :rofl:

Ok now the question of the day. I was reading in a book that to call a caver a spelunker is derogatory. is this true?
Sierra Echo
Frequent Poster

Re: Oh WOW!

Postby self-deleted_user » Dec 28, 2010 5:12 pm

I only have one person on my foe list. Most people here are pretty cool. Foe hides their posts so you don't see them. I've never bothered making a friends list.

As to caving vs. spelunker, yes. Cavers rescue spelunkers.

Caver/Spelunker Disambiguation
Spelunking/Spelunker

Clay Perry — an American caver of the 1940s — wrote about a group of men and boys who explored and studied caves throughout New England. This group referred to themselves as spelunkers. This is regarded as the first use of the word in the Americas. Throughout the 1950s, spelunking was the general term used for exploring caves in US English. It was used freely, without any positive or negative connotations, although only rarely outside the US.

In the 1960s, the term "spelunking" began to convey the idea of inexperienced cavers, using unreliable light sources and cotton clothing. In 1985, Steve Knutson (editor of American Caving Accidents) made the following distinction:

"...Note that I use the term 'spelunker' to denote someone untrained and unknowledgeable in current exploration techniques, and 'caver' for those who are."

Caving/Caver

A caver is an experienced person at gaining access and exploring caves. It is usually considered insulting, now, to call a caver a spelunker. This sentiment is exemplified by bumper stickers and t-shirts displayed by many cavers: "Cavers rescue spelunkers" or "Spelunk is the sound of someone hitting the bottom."

A caver should be knowledgeable enough to know what kind of gear they should bring with them into a cave and should respect the cave for its intrensic beauty. Even though there is no clear cut distinguishing difference between a caver and a spelunker, it usually can be summed up in terms of knowledge, ability, and reverence for the underground environment.
Self-deleted due to large troll population on the forum, and absence of moderation.
self-deleted_user
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Re: Oh WOW!

Postby NZcaver » Dec 28, 2010 5:33 pm

Sierra Echo wrote:Ok now the question of the day. I was reading in a book that to call a caver a spelunker is derogatory. is this true?

See previous topic Spelunking derogatory term?
NZcaver
Global Moderator

Name: Jansen
NSS #: 50665RL

Return to Open Talk Forum