The Rant Thread - let it out!

Topics and issues of interest to cavers which are not related to caving. No political or religious discussions, please.

Moderator: Moderators

Re: The Rant Thread - let it out!

Postby graveleye » Feb 15, 2011 4:07 pm

Bill Putnam wrote:Also, I do not like snakes.

I'm gonna get burned at the stake for this one, but I'm not crazy about snakes either... especially the poisonous ones.

There is that occasional hapless copperhead or rattler at the bottom of a pit. And here comes some good sam caver, picks it up, bags it and takes it out of the pit so it can warm up and go bite and kill someone.

LEAVE THEM IN THE PIT. TO DIE.
ad astra per aspera

http://www.myspace.com/jamthecontrols

The views expressed in this post are not necessarily those of any organization I am affiliated with.

Become a sustaining member of the SCCI
graveleye
Global Moderator

Name: Kevin Glenn
NSS #: 57238RL

Postby Chads93GT » Feb 15, 2011 4:13 pm

I don't think many people will be offended by leaving something in the cave to die, afterall, its the natural cycle of the cave. Critters get washed in, fall into the caves, and they feed the bio life that livesi n the cave, the cycle continues.

what most have a problem with is taking it upon yourself to end the life of said critter prematurely.

If people have problems with leaving critters in caves to die they can go hug a tree somewhere and have a drum circle.
Have I saved animals? Yes. Do I save them all? Nope!
Chads93GT
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby graveleye » Feb 15, 2011 4:25 pm

I only save the cute ones.
ad astra per aspera

The views expressed in this post are not necessarily those of any organization I am affiliated with.

graveleye
Global Moderator

Postby self-deleted_user » Feb 15, 2011 5:05 pm

I like snakes. This is my snake, her name is Marmalade and she is an albino het butter corn snake :) She was born in Aug '09 and is about 40 inches long now and is the cutest little thing and loves hanging out on my head as you can tell.
This is like a year old of a photo, when I first got her:

Now she is older and with every shed her colour comes in brighter and more vibrant, she's a lovely girl!
Self-deleted due to large troll population on the forum, and absence of moderation.
self-deleted_user
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby wyandottecaver » Feb 15, 2011 5:28 pm

LOL Amy in a purple hat and with a purple flower in the snake cage.....who could have guessed?
I'm not scared of the dark, it's the things IN the dark that make me nervous. :)
wyandottecaver
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby Chads93GT » Feb 15, 2011 5:28 pm

Yeah, baby boa's are cute too. then they get huge and the owners let them out into the swamps and everglades in florida. Now the crocs are fighting for domination at the top of the food chain with them. bleh, snakes.
Chads93GT
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby MUD » Feb 15, 2011 5:55 pm

:laughing: I grew up with a very loving father who just happened to LOVE snakes...rattlesnakes inparticular! We used to "milk" them for their venom and then off it would go to some college somewhere. I've eaten rattlesnake many times growing up. NO it doesn't taste just like chicken! Its actually very tasty. I bet my mother cooked that snake over a dozen different ways...rattlesnake stew, burgers, soup, cakes, grilled, fried, boiled, deep fried, etc. I think y'all get the picture.

Anyone wanna go to my parent's place for supper? :rofl:
MUD
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Primary Grotto Affiliation: None

Postby Bill Putnam » Feb 15, 2011 6:03 pm

Sungura wrote:Really just Star Wars in general I don't get. My friends made me record myself describing what I remember of Star Wars (I saw two movies dunno which two)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uubbc51nEds

That's hysterical!
:laughing:
Bill Putnam, NSS 21117 RL/FE
Chairman and Chief Troublemaker
The Revolutionary Hodag Party - Thinking outside the cave.

The jackal can roar,
pretending to be a lion.
The lion is not fooled.
Bill Putnam
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

NSS #: 21117
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Revolutionary Hodag Party

Postby Bill Putnam » Feb 15, 2011 6:13 pm

Sungura wrote:I like snakes. This is my snake, her name is Marmalade and she is an albino het butter corn snake :) She was born in Aug '09 and is about 40 inches long now and is the cutest little thing and loves hanging out on my head as you can tell.

Yikes! No snakes for me, please. Thank you very much.

I was chased and frightened by a Black Racer I startled while playing in the woods when I was a little boy, and I still have occasional nightmares about it when I am really stressed about something (classic anxiety dream) except that the snakes in the dream are usually rattlesnakes rather than harmless ones. I'm sure they represent something, but I don't think I want to know what it is.

My daughters like snakes (and all animals) and had several as pets over the years. Thankfully, we are beyond that now. I like animals with fur. Hairless animals of any family or genus need not apply.

I have an agreement with the snakes around here - I don't bother them or go into their homes, and they don't bother me or come into mine. We have gotten along just fine for the most part, except for one large copperhead who didn't get the memo. I'm sorry to say he met an untimely end, but perhaps that was his destiny. All I know is that he should have stayed away from my basement.
Bill Putnam, NSS 21117 RL/FE
Chairman and Chief Troublemaker
The Revolutionary Hodag Party - Thinking outside the cave.

The jackal can roar,
pretending to be a lion.
The lion is not fooled.
Bill Putnam
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

NSS #: 21117
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Revolutionary Hodag Party

Postby self-deleted_user » Feb 15, 2011 6:52 pm

Cavemud wrote::laughing: I grew up with a very loving father who just happened to LOVE snakes...rattlesnakes inparticular! We used to "milk" them for their venom and then off it would go to some college somewhere. I've eaten rattlesnake many times growing up. NO it doesn't taste just like chicken! Its actually very tasty. I bet my mother cooked that snake over a dozen different ways...rattlesnake stew, burgers, soup, cakes, grilled, fried, boiled, deep fried, etc. I think y'all get the picture.

Anyone wanna go to my parent's place for supper? :rofl:
OMG yes. I've always wanted to try snake.

Bill Putnam wrote:
Sungura wrote:Really just Star Wars in general I don't get. My friends made me record myself describing what I remember of Star Wars (I saw two movies dunno which two)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uubbc51nEds

That's hysterical!
Glad you enjoyed, all my friends were cracking up with that. Who knew I was a comedian!? I should go on the road touring!

I"ll trade you dreams though! I'd rather be chased by a snake! My rant at dreams - why on earth do I have to be able to feel in dreams, including pain? I always die too. I will say that of all the ways I've died (drowning, long falls, shot in various ways, knife stabs, choked to death, crushed in the back of a garbage truck, bear attack, blown up, suffocated, shark attack) that shark attack is the most painful & horrifying way to die. Just warning ya. I hate dreaming. Always are nightmares, I always die in the most crazy painful ways possible. I will wake up in pain. It sucks. It takes a while and a lot of mental power to get my brain to calm down and realize it was a dream, I am alive and (kinda) awake now, and no, I am not actually in terrible pain. Finally the pain will die down and I'll be able to sleep again, if it's not too late to go back to sleep. I'll be chased by a snake any day instead!
Self-deleted due to large troll population on the forum, and absence of moderation.
self-deleted_user
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby NZcaver » Feb 16, 2011 2:55 am

Bill Putnam wrote:My rant for today, triggered by the post above:

Why do we have two separate rescue forums: one that requires registration and one that doesn't? It's confusing and duplicative.

We post details to the registered users only forum, and all the good stuff is there, so what purpose does the other one serve?

Thanks for sharing your rant about this, Bill. You bring up some valid concerns, along with half-answering some of your own questions.

Here's a little history about why we have dual cave rescue subforums. Initially cave rescue information was all in one place, and visible to all. But after certain incidents, members expressed concern about sensitive information (rescue reports, names of rescuers etc) being in the public domain on a discussion board. So in December 2006, the rescue forum was made private by forum administrator Wayne. In discussion with the moderators at the time, a few of our colleagues expressed the same concerns you just did. Particularly relating to general rescue information and techniques continuing to be publicly available on the forum.

Therefore a compromise was reached. Two subforums. One for rescue, the other for rescues. The cave rescue forum is a public area to discuss techniques, equipment, safety and related issues. The rescue - registered only section is a limited-access area to report and discuss cave rescues (ie specific events). These descriptions are clearly stated on the forum index page.

In my opinion hit-and-miss media reports are one thing, but as you know our specific rescue event topics commonly include posts by people with first-hand or other insider knowledge. All this at a time when the public and media and family members are often hungry for information. Sure they can sign up and get access, but if they don't know that stuff is there because it doesn't show up in a Google search - why would they? :shrug:

The system may not be perfect, but I think it mostly works the way it is. There is obviously some overlap between the two rescue forums, but "confusing and duplicative?" Well, maybe to a few people who don't quite understand which forum to post which information in (or they forget). But hey, such is life.

Incidentally there's nothing stopping somebody from starting a "lessons to be learned" or "ounce of prevention" topic in the public cave rescue section, and promoting all the good things like welcoming new cavers into the fold, getting the safety (and conservation) message out to the broader public, fighting Snobby Grotto Syndrome, etc. :shhh:
NZcaver
Global Moderator

Name: Jansen
NSS #: 50665RL

Postby graveleye » Feb 16, 2011 10:41 am

Snobby Grotto Syndrome

ad astra per aspera

graveleye
Global Moderator

Postby self-deleted_user » Feb 16, 2011 11:25 am

graveleye wrote:
Snobby Grotto Syndrome

I definitely think this should be made an official syndrome.
self-deleted_user
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby trogman » Feb 16, 2011 1:28 pm

OK, while we are ranting and talking about snakes... I can't stand folks who kill every snake they see, and then tell you "the only good snake is a dead snake." The other line I also hear frequently is "as far as I'm concerned, they're all poisonous." I mean, I get it if you want to kill a poisonous snake, after all, there is a chance it could kill you, especially around your house. But snakes in general are beneficial creatures, and they help control rodents. One more snake-related thing that drives me nuts: people who assume that every copper-colored snake they see near any body of water is a copperhead. The vast majorities of them are water snakes, and are non-poisonous. Yet these folks will argue with you to the bitter end about it, and these are the same ones that think that every small snake with a pattern is a "ground rattler." Never mind that it doesn't have rattles, and that its pupils are round.
Ahhh, this ranting does feel good.
BTW Amy, that's a pretty snake you have. I also have a pet-he's about 20" long, and is a scarlet king snake. I will post a picture soon.

Trogman :helmet:
trogman
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Stephen Brewer
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Gadsden Grotto

Postby Sierra Echo » Feb 16, 2011 5:51 pm

If you are stupid enough to write "does not live here" on a piece of mail you don't want, don't get pissed at me when you no longer receive mail at your address. YOU were the one who told me you didnt live there! :roll:
Sierra Echo
Frequent Poster

PreviousNext

Return to Open Talk Forum