The Rant Thread - let it out!

Topics and issues of interest to cavers which are not related to caving. No political or religious discussions, please.

Moderator: Moderators

Re: The Rant Thread - let it out!

Postby Bill Putnam » Feb 19, 2011 12:14 am

I don't care what rattlesnake tastes like (I had some once, and it was overcooked - dry and tough). I don't like snakes - in caves or not in caves. I have encountered rattlesnakes in cave entrances (e.g. lava cave near St. George UT) and on the trail (CA, NV) and also copperheads on the trail to the cave (Sinking Cove, TN, twice). I do not like snakes.

I do not like them in a cave. I do not like them at a rave. I do not like them in a bar. I do not like them in a car. I do not like them in the rain. I do not like them on a plane. I do not like them here or there. I do not like them anywhere. I do not like them in a pram. I do not like them, Sam-I-am.
Bill Putnam, NSS 21117 RL/FE
Chairman and Chief Troublemaker
The Revolutionary Hodag Party - Thinking outside the cave.

The jackal can roar,
pretending to be a lion.
The lion is not fooled.
Bill Putnam
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

NSS #: 21117
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Revolutionary Hodag Party

Postby graveleye » Feb 19, 2011 9:55 am

at least a cooked snake is a dead snake.
ad astra per aspera

http://www.myspace.com/jamthecontrols

The views expressed in this post are not necessarily those of any organization I am affiliated with.

Become a sustaining member of the SCCI
graveleye
Global Moderator

Name: Kevin Glenn
NSS #: 57238RL

Postby MUD » Feb 19, 2011 10:11 am

:big grin: Somewhere on old super 8 film is some video of my Mama cookin up some rattlesnake on the grill. This thing is gutted, skinned and filled with all kinds of veggie goodies and then wrapped in aluminum foil. This snake is dancing all over the grill and appears to be striking! I'll never forget the site of that as a kid. Good ol Dad says, "Relax, its just his muscles relaxing and tightening!" :laughing:

I didn't feel anything moving in my belly after I chewed it up and swallowed it. :rofl:
MUD
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Primary Grotto Affiliation: None

Postby JR-Orion » Feb 24, 2011 1:57 pm

Need to get this one out, as it's been driving me crazy lately-

Is it really that hard to get up to the speed limit? You don't need to go all wild and crazy over the speed limit, but can people just go 55 if it's a 55 zone?!? I thought everyone was in a hurry these days, yet these people are poking around doing 5 or 10 under. Closely related is how around here there are plenty of roads where it is 55 out in the open, then drops to 35 when they go through a small town. These winners will go slow out in the open, then speed through town...

:doh:
Letting the days go by / water flowing underground
Into the blue again / in the silent water
Under the rocks and stones / there is water underground.
JR-Orion
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Jasen Rogers
NSS #: 61613
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Iowa Grotto

Postby tncaver » Feb 24, 2011 3:01 pm

JR-Orion wrote:Need to get this one out, as it's been driving me crazy lately-

Is it really that hard to get up to the speed limit? You don't need to go all wild and crazy over the speed limit, but can people just go 55 if it's a 55 zone?!? I thought everyone was in a hurry these days, yet these people are poking around doing 5 or 10 under. Closely related is how around here there are plenty of roads where it is 55 out in the open, then drops to 35 when they go through a small town. These winners will go slow out in the open, then speed through town...

:doh:

Maybe they drive that slow because they are looking for caves out the window as they drive along. Can't see caves if you drive too fast. :laughing:
tncaver
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby trogman » Feb 24, 2011 3:13 pm

:funny post:

JR, I have to say dittos to your post. What bugs me is folks who are riding along at a good speed, say maybe 5 MPH over the limit, and then they see a cop. Do they slow down to the limit? HECK NO! They will all slam on their brakes and go about 10 under. Instant traffic jam results. I'm not sure why; maybe they don't know what the limit is, or they don't trust their speedometers, or they are afraid the cops will be overzelous and give them a ticket even though they are doing the speed limit. Who knows? :shrug: I have calibrated the speedometers in all of my vehicles, so if I am on a 4-lane, and a cop is in front of me going less than the limit, I have no qualms at all about passing him. But I have seen very few people who will do this.
I could rant all day about people's driving habits- why did you get me started on this?

Trogman :helmet:
trogman
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Stephen Brewer
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Gadsden Grotto

Postby Chads93GT » Feb 24, 2011 3:19 pm

You know what pisses me off? People who drive hybrids, then look down their nose at me for driving my SUV and Mustang's. A hybrid is no more clean or green than a 426 hemi cuda.
Chads93GT
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby LukeM » Feb 24, 2011 3:48 pm

Do people driving hybrids actually give you a hard time about driving those Chad?

Edit: That just made me think of my own rant. Why is it that all the most fuel efficient cars aren't sold in the US, where we drive more than any other country?! Surely with our massive mortgages, crippling debt, and all that we could use some gas $ savings. I was watching Top Gear a few nights ago and they had a contest to see who could go from Switzerland to Blackpool, England on only 1 tank of gas, and get there first. (750+ miles) The cars they were using are as far as I know not available in the US at all. For instance the VW Polo diesel, which was getting close to 80mpg for much of the trip, or the V6 twin turbo jag that was driven like mad and still ended up with enough fuel to go another 125 miles when it arrived. Are we that hard to sell fuel efficient cars to? I sure as hell know I could have used the gas $$ savings in college as I drove multiple hours to get to caves. Argh!

So yeah, I might give you (and oil company lobbyists) a bit of a hard time Chad because you're making it harder for me to buy the cars I want, but I don't drive a hybrid. :grin:
Last edited by LukeM on Feb 24, 2011 4:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
LukeM
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Luke Mazza
NSS #: 59317
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Syracuse University Outing Club

Postby Chads93GT » Feb 24, 2011 4:00 pm

Non car "aquaintences" in Kansas did when my wife was in school there. guess they never researched the production of their vehicle ;). Its a lovely debate car guys get into with people who think collecting cars is stupid. People who use vehicles for a means to get from point A to point B and only for that reason, will never understand why guys like me use them for..........pleasure and fun. Oh well, to each his own ;)
Chads93GT
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby tncaver » Feb 24, 2011 4:10 pm

Chads93GT wrote:People who use vehicles for a means to get from point A to point B and only for that reason, will never understand why guys like me use them for..........pleasure and fun. Oh well, to each his own ;)

I use my 4 wheel drive truck strictly for caving related activities (ie: FUN). Does that count? It only gets 21mpg but takes me where my 33 mpg car
can not go. I use the car strictly for going from point A to point B with out having to tow a fuel tanker truck behind me. Of course these days, even
33 mpg is not considered high fuel mileage.

So my rant is, what used to cost me $15 round trip to go caving, now costs me about $40.
tncaver
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby self-deleted_user » Feb 24, 2011 4:39 pm

I AM NOT ANOREXIC. WHY DID YOU PUT THAT ON MY CHART? IDIOT.

Definition:
Anorexia: An eating disorder characterized by markedly reduced appetite or total aversion to food. Anorexia is a serious psychological disorder. It is a condition that goes well beyond out-of-control dieting. The person with anorexia, most often a girl or young woman, initially begins dieting to lose weight. Over time, the weight loss becomes a sign of mastery and control. The drive to become thinner is thought to be secondary to concerns about control and fears relating to one's body. The individual continues the endless cycle of restrictive eating, often to a point close to starvation. This becomes an obsession and is similar to an addiction to a drug.

ME: For years I have been very cold, I can't keep my body temp up. This has actually made caving all the more interesting (as actually, I feel warmer in caves, it's weird, but probably not necessarily safe). Migraines are worse in cold months and I think the body temp drop and caves being cold may have something to do with why I tend to get them caving more than standard (the stats are starting to look funky, getting them more in caves than not).

I also rarely feel hungry. 9 hrs in Tumbling Rock? Not hungry after. Ridgewalking all day? Not hungry after. I WISH I felt hungry. I had a wake-up call few months ago where I went almost 4 days without eating because I simply forgot. I never felt hungry so I never ate. I almost passed out after capoeira class that night, and realized I'd not eaten, and from that day on I started to set timers thorughout the day. This reminded me to eat. I took to eating small meals throughout the day as the timers went off. I eat by habit now. I eat healthy (fruits veggies protein tend to stay away from carbs which I don't usually like much anyway) and regularly. Just by force of habit rather than any desire to eat or hunger telling me to eat.

That is...NOT anorexia.

I think because I complained that with all my increase of activity the last 6-8 months and I still haven't lost any weight, she put it down. "oh she's not hungry and doesn't eat and can't lose weight oh she's anorexic!" Bullshit.

Hrm let's take a look at the list, shall we?
- Low metabolism
- Always cold
- Migraines worse in cold
- Can't lose weight no matter how healthy eating habits are and how much excersize is gotten.

This paints a very easy thyroid problem picture.

At least she ordered T3 T4 TSH CMP blood workup so I should get some answers.

BUT I HATE IT THAT I GOT LABELED AS ANOREXIC.
Self-deleted due to large troll population on the forum, and absence of moderation.
self-deleted_user
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby self-deleted_user » Feb 25, 2011 1:50 pm

Looks like I have to skip vertical fundays with the SJVG tomorrow now.

Dang tetanus shot...since I got it yesterday, I've been crying a lot randomly for no good reason, I'm very tired, I am dizzy and nauseated. And I have a fever too I think. GRAH. Not to mention the standard "my arm is really painful and feels like it's on fire".

I actually blacked out last night at capoeira. First time in my life I have passed out.

My body is so pissed at me right now.

This damn crying is the most annoying part actually. WHY AM I CRYING!??! (no, it's not "that time of month" and even if it was, I've never had this happen before!)

:sadbanana:
Self-deleted due to large troll population on the forum, and absence of moderation.
self-deleted_user
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby tncaver » Feb 25, 2011 2:49 pm

deleted. :shhh:
Last edited by tncaver on Feb 26, 2011 9:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
tncaver
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby self-deleted_user » Feb 25, 2011 5:36 pm

LOL I work in a hospital, yeah I have a lot of medical access. And I tend to be a horrible patient because I know better than most doctors it seems. And I don't mean that to sound snotty. But when they are screwing up and I fix it and I'm 99% of the time right about my own care (and diagnosis in the first place) it really lowers my faith in the medical professions that a simple graduate student with a medical science background knows more than the doctors she is seeing. :doh: I see a doctor as a last resort, because it's not worth the time and copay to have them tell me what I already know, or do nothing, only time it's worth it is when I have figured out my own diagnosis and can force them to fix it. Which, it always works when they listen to me. Imagine that.
self-deleted_user
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

The Rant Thread - let it out!

Postby tncaver » Mar 1, 2011 4:56 pm

[Moderator note - post moved here from the Counterfeit Petzl Gear topic at the request of the author.]

boogercaver71 wrote:From movies to electronics, now vertical gear, the Chinese are ripoff artists, but these can kill you :boxing:

The Chinese make lots of stuff that can kill us. If people in the US were smart they would do their utmost to NOT buy Chinese crap.
Of course sometimes we aren't even aware we are buying "knockoffs" that can knock us off.

The Chinese have exported a variety of deadly items to the US. Some examples are; baby cribs that trap and suffocate babies, childrens'
toys and adult jewelry that are made of lead and cadmium, a multitude of items painted with lead paint (which has been banned in the US
for decades), pet food full of melamine to "enhance" protene yet kill pets, bolts labeled as grade 5 or 8 but are substandard and can fail
at any time.

I can't speak on the quality of the Fenix products, but I've owned several cheap Chinese LED's that were good lights for less than a year
before total failure. They can fail at an unsafe moment. I'm sure there are plenty of other examples of dangerous Chinese products on the
market. Any one want to add to the list?
tncaver
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

PreviousNext

Return to Open Talk Forum