The Rant Thread - let it out!

Topics and issues of interest to cavers which are not related to caving. No political or religious discussions, please.

Moderator: Moderators

Re: The Rant Thread - let it out!

Postby commanderzoom » Mar 20, 2011 4:32 am

Great news!!!!! My most pressing problem (the truck) is now a thing of the past!!!!!! :banana_yay: :banana_yay: :banana_yay: My husband's foster brother came out this afternoon with his Durango & come-along and hauled it back to our house, then he poked around for awhile trying to figure out why it wouldn't start. He located the problem--something do with mud being where it didn't belong combined with needing a new cable, idk for sure b/c I wasn't outside with him--and he fixed it for us :big grin:. OMG I'm so happy to have wheels again and not have to be stuck at home dependent on others for rides to the store and all that. It's SUCH a huge relief and you wouldn't believe how excited the kids are about it. We're going to drive out to one of the conservation areas this afternoon & go for a short hike to celebrate.

My other rants are minor compared to the misery of living in relative isolation out in the country with no running vehicle.
commanderzoom
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

NSS #: 61484
Primary Grotto Affiliation: MVG

Postby self-deleted_user » Mar 20, 2011 11:03 am

I've not done much work on my thesis and such as of late since I've basically been sick for 3 weeks.

4 weekends ago, I'm caving in KY and during ridgewalking trying to cross barbed wire fence got my knee jammed up in it. Realizing I'd not had a tetanus shot for at least 14 years decided I should maybe get one. Make an appointment, I get one almost a week later.

I get really dizzy and start blacking out a few days. After 5 days though, the blacking out and dizzyness is gone. Cardiologist (whom my PCP sent me too worried it was my heart going bad) agreed witht htat time frame and my heart is *fine* must be a weird bad reaction to the immunization.

But it's like killed my immune system or something. I'm over being dizzy a few days, then I start getting the flu. I have that for about a week, and then finally am ok for a few days, good enough to cave last weekend, but then this week I get sick AGAIN, this time with some sort of congestion settleinmychest coughing hacking kind of sick. Feverish too.

I am a healthy person. I've not been sick in a good 2 years before this. I wish I'd have never gotten that tetanus immunization. Of course the doc says it's just "coincidence" and "people like to blame immunizations for things". Well gee, wonder why? I've been uber healthy for *years* and then I get that and have sickness after sickness? Yeah. *something* put my immune system on overload making me pick up everything I'm slightly exposed to. The only change in anything was that tetanus shot. Seems clear enough to me.
Self-deleted due to large troll population on the forum, and absence of moderation.
self-deleted_user
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby commanderzoom » Mar 20, 2011 10:13 pm

Amy, you have at least 1 person out there who believes you about the Tetanus shot causing those problems. We went through a living nightmare due to a rare vaccine reaction that, to quote the so-called professionals, "couldn't possibly have caused that!" They were dead wrong & it was proven to them but they still refused to accept it. Last week I was digging around on Google & discovered that there's actually a name for the reaction that caused all our suffering so that means it's been researched & documented. Some people have their heads so far up their own butts they can't see the truth when it's right in front of them. I'm not anti-vaccine but I tend to sound that way because I won't vaccinate any of my children now due to that mess and because I believe in doing the research before getting the shot & keeping a close eye out for reactions.

I'm gonna shoot you a long PM explaining what I'm talking about in a little bit. You might want to put on a diaper because it could make you crap your pants it's so bad. I'd post it here publicly but I got tired of being called a liar by people b/c it's so different from their catalog of experience and b/c it's too close to the anniversary for me to handle that.
commanderzoom
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby commanderzoom » Mar 21, 2011 12:52 am

Minor rant: I wish even the public board postings didn't show up on search engines. It blows that I had to remove my real name b/c leaving it would make it easier for my stalker to find me :roll: .
commanderzoom
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby self-deleted_user » Mar 21, 2011 8:56 am

yeah bodies can do crazy unexpected things sometimes.

Last night I was so feverish and cycling between hypothermic and hyperthermic that I tossed and turned all night, and I thought I was in trouble and gonna die in a cave! For some reason I was on rope, and I totally wore myself out trying to frog in my bed because I kept thinking "I just need to get up and out of here and then things will be ok!" but then I went from shivering horribly to feeling really really hot, and I guess I stripped at some point but I do remember thinking "shit, I don't think I'm really hot, but damn I feel like I'm burning up, but arn't I just really cold or something? I can't remember" anyway woke up with my sheets all in a mess and basically off my bed from crawling, climbing, and whatever the hell else I was doing all night long. I've had a fever since Thursday night. This is getting old. I can't sleep, I can't eat, I'm almost out of juice which is the one thing I've been stomaching basically trying to stay hydrated.

And I really need to do work on my thesis since I defend in t-9 days!

I'll just be dead over here....

Oh, and I'm out of klenix but I'm not sure driving to the store to get more is a brilliant idea or not. If I go though I'll get some meds...like I said, I never get sick, all the meds I had in my cupboard were over a year expired. I know fever is usually good because it helps the WBC and tcells and depending on the cause some bacteria/viruses don't do well at the fever temps so it all helps, but I can't function like this.

The only thing not expired is my pre-med for going to the dentist (penicillian) which I would be tempted to take since it's just a broad spectrum antibiotic, but there is no sign of secondary infection so this is likely all viral caused and so antibiotic will do shit for me.
Self-deleted due to large troll population on the forum, and absence of moderation.
self-deleted_user
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby nathanroser » Mar 28, 2011 10:57 pm

I finally have a good rant that I'm going to rant like an ignorant youtube commenter about. Here goes.

So I went for a nice long 2 hour swim at the pool today and it was unusually crowded. And usually the crowds are people who cannot swim fast and do not stay in the pool very long. Usually I am pretty chill and not very aggressive. In the water is an exception, I am very territorial and aggressive when I am swimming. Anyway as soon as I go in a lifeguard approaches me and tells me I need to go shower before getting in the pool. I am a lifeguard as well (though not at that pool), so naturall I am never happy about being told what to do by another guard. Plus, there's really no point in showering before entering a pool unless you're horrendously filthy because pools are so full of chemicals nothing can really survive in them which is why your skin cells dry out and die (probably includes G. destructans, so try that for decon, it probably works), plus no one ever ever does it including guards, so they're really just being a tool of the man because the boss told them to. So I jump in the pool after soaking myself in the shower and then off like a bullet. My habit of swimming fast all the time earned me the kamikaze paper plate award one year in high school, and I am quite proud of my swimming insanity. So to continue this same lifeguard (there was another there who was a girl but didn't really care) is going around stopping people while they're swimming and asking them to change lanes and telling newcomers which lanes to swim in. There are already certain guidelines for how lap swimmers are to conduct themselves that people are pretty good at following such as the middle lanes are where faster people are supposed to swim. If there is a slow person in the middle of the pool I usually jump in the lane and start sprinting nonstop and they usually get the point and move into an empty lane as soon as it opens up. Anyway this guard stops me and the other guy I'm splitting the lane with and tells us we need to start circle swimming because a 3rd person is about to get in. I've been a year round swimmer for over 13 years and am quite able to handle crowded lanes (3 is nothing, try 8 or 10) so it's kind of like I'm in a cave and this guy is some ne'er do well flashlight wielding spelunker without a helmet telling me I don't know diddly squat about proper caving. And of course the 3rd guy who gets in the lane is quite slow, so me and the other fast guy in the lane manage to scare him off to a slower lane. And this lifeguard guy keeps doing this the whole 2 hours I'm there, it's like he is more concerned with maintaining his own personal order over the lap lanes rather than a lifeguard's 1st duty to watch over the whole pool and look for people in trouble (plenty of very bad swimmers do show up). This all being said maybe this guy was just incredibly bored, lifeguarding is an incredibly borign job if you're just watching people swimming laps who for the most part can handle themselves.
nathanroser
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Nathan Roser
NSS #: 62848
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Syracuse University Outing Club

Postby self-deleted_user » Mar 29, 2011 3:13 pm

Stress and freakingout about my thesis defense tomorrow relief method:

Tie knots.

self-deleted_user
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby wyandottecaver » Mar 29, 2011 6:41 pm

tying them or eating them?
I'm not scared of the dark, it's the things IN the dark that make me nervous. :)
wyandottecaver
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby self-deleted_user » Mar 29, 2011 10:39 pm

I got hungry...
self-deleted_user
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby nathanroser » Apr 6, 2011 5:53 pm

More of a bummer than a rant, but I tried and failed to give blood today. Usually as soon as they stick me and I get flowing I'm done in less than 6 minutes, but today was different. My trusty bleeding vein decided to be a tentacle today, so in short after 15 minutes of slowly bleeding and the staff going fishing in my arm they were required to stop with the packet only half-full :sad: Now I am feeling more silly than usual though at least now I am not about to fall asleep.
nathanroser
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby self-deleted_user » Jun 15, 2011 7:46 pm

So remember in Jan I was trying to find hiking boots for caving with and couldn't?

Well I need shoes. You know. Tennis shoes...for walking, trail hiking, that sort of thing. Shoes. Basic good shoes with support and grip. And not white, white just will get dirty, duh.

Guess what? Yup. NO stores here that sell shoes that i have checked so far sell them. Women get the following footwear options:
Heels/dress: because you know, we have to keep our sexy look in evening gowns and jazz, always looking pretty, and heels just make you walk that funny apparently sexy way
Sandles: because flip-flops are so old school and not cute enough anymore, this category also includes the beachwear sandle for cute toesies at the beach
Running shoes: ah yes, must keep our bodies in hot sexy shape!
"Shape-ups": you know, those with the rolling bottom thing meant to work your bum basically, as a cute tight arse and thighs are sexy dontcha know?

Wait...I see a trend here...I'm not freakin' allowed to have a pair of shoes for FUNCTION rather than fashion or to make myself "attractive".

Did these places have hiking shoes and boots for guys? Hell yes. Sadly, my feet don't fit the right sizes in guy's to just get a pair and deal. But even if I *could* this is the stupidist sexist thing ever. Because you know, why on earth would a women want function instead of sexytopleasetheirman/attractsomeone?

Same thing with pants, pants with good pockets for women? HA! Nah have to get guypants if I want that, which I usually feel like my legs *swim* in since I have to get like a freakin' 40 waist to get my arse into it (hey, I have curves!) because they aren't *built* for having hips/a bum! Yeah yeah "that is what a belt is for" no, I shouldn't need to get like 2-3 sizes UP or whatever that is for guys, they should make them in the right cuts for WOMEN.

Even our REI is like this. At least the REI in Atlanta is where I found my boots back in January. But REI has the downside of being uberexpensive for clothes so I've never looked closely at pants there, since I see price tags of $60 and up which is too steep for me.
self-deleted_user
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby nathanroser » Jun 15, 2011 8:28 pm

I used to have a problem when I was littler and way taller than most people my age but still skinny. So going to pick out pants from the grown up section meant that everything with long enough legs for me was designed for people with much thicker waists, same deal for shorts. And of course back in the day all the other kids made fun of you if your shorts went above the knees or pants above the ankles. Of course nowadays I wish it was still easy to find short shorts for guys like back in the 80's, so then I could go around looking like Magnum P.I. Then again I haven't bought new clothes in over 2 years with the exception of some new synthetic pants after I tore a massive hole in my old pair while sliding on some giant mud slope or sharp rocks in Culverson Creek Cave. Maybe things have changed though and booty shorts for men are easy to find.
nathanroser
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby LukeM » Jun 16, 2011 8:49 am

Amy, are you looking for a good basic pair of shoes or hiking shoes? I've found that running shoes make great multi-purpose shoes, being light-weight, (sometimes) well made, and giving good support. Also, they make great light-weight hikers if the trail is dry.
LukeM
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Luke Mazza
NSS #: 59317

Postby self-deleted_user » Jun 16, 2011 9:40 am

I want to be able to wear them hiking. I have hiking boots I use for caving (go over my ankles) but I don't want to hike above ground in them...they are comfy enough but not for being above ground in heat and such. The running shoes they are selling aren't grippy at all, I want traction.

I ended up getting a pair from Sierra Trading Post...gotten shoes from them before and liked them. Colombia brand (same as my current shoes) and well I guess they are under the "trail runner" category but that's cool - look comfy and lightweight but really good looking soles on them. Other websites put them under hiking shoes. $40 including postage since there was a 20% off coupon code =) Columbia Kaibab Trail Shoes
self-deleted_user
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby LukeM » Jun 16, 2011 10:32 am

Hey, sounds like you found what you need! :kewl:
LukeM
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Luke Mazza
NSS #: 59317

Previous

Return to Open Talk Forum