need a book recommendation

Topics and issues of interest to cavers which are not related to caving. No political or religious discussions, please.

Moderator: Moderators

Re: need a book recommendation

Postby wendy » Jan 22, 2008 4:28 pm

Well I just bought my 3rd book, will start it on Friday, "The Nasty Bits" by Chef Anthony Bourdain.
"Blessed are they who learn from their mistakes. For they shall make, if not necessarily fewer of them, different and more interesting ones."

"It's the good girls who keep diaries; the bad girls never have the time." - Tallulah Bankhead
wendy
Global Moderator

Name: Wendy
NSS #: 53923
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Flint River Grotto

Postby Ernie Coffman » Jan 26, 2008 8:50 pm

Wendy, since you like California and you probably drove up to Yosemite a couple of years ago, I would highly recommend Shattered Air by Bob Madgic, who lives near Redding, CA. This is a true account of catastrophe and courage on Yosemite's Half Dome. The cover gives you the idea what it's all about, but the praises for this book will give you a better idea: Jim Snyder NPS Historian, Yosemite (retired) says "In this gripping anatomy of a tragic accident, Bob Madgic shows not only how it happened, but why. This book is better than a hundred signs or a thousand leaflets. Nobody who reads it will ever dare lightning to strike on Half Dome or anywhere else." Out of a five star rating, it gets my 5.5 stars. It's great! :exactly:
Ernie Coffman
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby wendy » Jan 27, 2008 2:39 am

Ernie,

Good timing on your post, I just finished the Anthony Bourdain book tonight. I'm on a roll. If any of you have ever worked in the food and beverage/resturant industry, read The Nasty Bits.

btw I normally don't read 3 books in 3 weeks time, I guess I am just in the mood to read. It's a phase, it'll pass, I won't read books for awhile, and then feel like it again.
"Blessed are they who learn from their mistakes. For they shall make, if not necessarily fewer of them, different and more interesting ones."

"It's the good girls who keep diaries; the bad girls never have the time." - Tallulah Bankhead
wendy
Global Moderator

Postby wendy » Feb 3, 2008 2:57 pm

Ernie Coffman wrote:Wendy, since you like California and you probably drove up to Yosemite a couple of years ago, I would highly recommend Shattered Air by Bob Madgic, who lives near Redding, CA. This is a true account of catastrophe and courage on Yosemite's Half Dome. The cover gives you the idea what it's all about, but the praises for this book will give you a better idea: Jim Snyder NPS Historian, Yosemite (retired) says "In this gripping anatomy of a tragic accident, Bob Madgic shows not only how it happened, but why. This book is better than a hundred signs or a thousand leaflets. Nobody who reads it will ever dare lightning to strike on Half Dome or anywhere else." Out of a five star rating, it gets my 5.5 stars. It's great! :exactly:

Hey Ernie,

I just finsihed Shattered Air last night and it was good, but I hated how the author would spend 5 pages talking about how lightning was formed. Too much science int here, he just needed to tell the story. I guess that was the school teacher in him coming out.

So now I am on book 5. I bought Between a Rock and a Hard Place, bought the guy who had to cut his arm off.

Thanks guys for all the recommendations.

wendy
Global Moderator

Postby Ernie Coffman » Feb 3, 2008 3:26 pm

Don't want to belabor this anymore than all the book recommendations you've already gotten, but...had to respond to your five pages of science about lightning, Wendy. :bow: Guess, you've never read Hawaii by James Michner, huh? Talk about a science/geology trip on getting around to the story. Wow! :exactly:

Best regards and you're really going through the books. What a huge discussion you brought up. :kewl:
Ernie Coffman
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Previous

Return to Open Talk Forum