Topo software...

Topics and issues of interest to cavers which are not related to caving. No political or religious discussions, please.

Moderator: Moderators

Topo software...

Postby graveleye » Oct 19, 2006 8:29 am

I was in Micro Center the other day and was looking at some of the topo discs they have for sale. They arent cheap really. One that caught my eye was the National Geographic 3D software. Has anyone tried this?

In fact, I'll take any recommendations, and will forward them directly to the North Pole.
ad astra per aspera

http://www.myspace.com/jamthecontrols

The views expressed in this post are not necessarily those of any organization I am affiliated with.

Become a sustaining member of the SCCI
graveleye
Global Moderator

Name: Kevin Glenn
NSS #: 57238RL

Postby batrotter » Oct 19, 2006 9:08 am

I use National Geographic State Series. It's TOPO Indiana and has all the 1:24000 scale maps of the state with 10 foot contour intervals. I think the 3D series only has the 1:100000 scale maps with 50 foot contour intervals. The state series are much more usable, but my caving is only in Indiana.
batrotter
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Bruce Trotter
NSS #: 27849RL
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Indiana Cave Survey

Postby graveleye » Oct 19, 2006 9:55 am

so you are saying the individual state maps are more detailed correct?
ad astra per aspera

The views expressed in this post are not necessarily those of any organization I am affiliated with.

graveleye
Global Moderator

Postby Squirrel Girl » Oct 19, 2006 12:35 pm

A few years ago I got the Mid Atlantic (VA, MD, ?DE?) Topo. Back then they didn't have 3D. I thought I was supposed to be able to get an upgrade that gives me 3D enhancement, but I didn't follow thru. So if someone knows for sure about this stuff, I'd be interested in learning.
Barbara Anne am Ende

"Weird people are my people."
Squirrel Girl
Global Moderator

NSS #: 15789

Postby batrotter » Oct 19, 2006 12:38 pm

graveleye wrote:so you are saying the individual state maps are more detailed correct?

Yes, they are far more detailed. The state TOPO series have seamless topo maps like the 7.5 minute(1:24000) topo maps. The whole US series has the 1 degree by 2 degree(1:100,000) detail maps.

The TOPO series works well with your GPS too. You can transfer waypoints, routes and tracks from your GPS to TOPO or the other way. You can also import masses of waypoints from Excel or Access files. You can print out detailed customized maps too.
batrotter
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Bruce Trotter
NSS #: 27849RL
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Indiana Cave Survey

Postby graveleye » Oct 19, 2006 1:02 pm

batrotter wrote:
graveleye wrote:so you are saying the individual state maps are more detailed correct?

Yes, they are far more detailed. The state TOPO series have seamless topo maps like the 7.5 minute(1:24000) topo maps. The whole US series has the 1 degree by 2 degree(1:100,000) detail maps.

The TOPO series works well with your GPS too. You can transfer waypoints, routes and tracks from your GPS to TOPO or the other way. You can also import masses of waypoints from Excel or Access files. You can print out detailed customized maps too.

Thats a BIG difference, so I am glad I asked. I'll have to go online to price them out, as I havent seen any in any ofthe retail places I have been to.
ad astra per aspera

graveleye
Global Moderator

Postby hewhocaves » Oct 19, 2006 5:25 pm

I use the delorme state series. Scans of the topo maps with a fair amount of ability to overlay stuff onto it. You can also copy everything to the HD and then put the disks safely away.

http://shop.delorme.com/OA_HTML/DELibeC ... tion=10052

This semester, I've been using the area functions for my hydrology classes (calculating drainage basin sizes).

The only downside is that on slower computers it sometimes crashes when it tries to print multiple maps (i.e. 3x3 8.5x11 sheets together). But there are ways around it.

The other downside is the price - $100- / state. But you get the actual topo maps and not just computer generated versions of it.

John
The NSS and WNS: Cooperation, not confrontation.
hewhocaves
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: John Tudek
NSS #: 36021
Primary Grotto Affiliation: MonGrotto

Postby FiddleCaver » Oct 19, 2006 5:30 pm

MapTech Terrain Navigator is more expensive but from my experience much more powerful than many other topo programs. If you look around online, you can get a 3 state bundle for cheap. Just make sure and download all the updates to get the all the new functionality. It's got seamless 7.5 topos, and all the usual GPS stuff. I really like this program because you also get the 1:100000 maps, and the maps aren't converted to vector graphics like a lot of other programs.
Allen NSS#57424
FiddleCaver
Prolific Poster

Postby FiddleCaver » Oct 19, 2006 5:33 pm

Oh, Terrain Nav also has pretty good 3d capabilities, however a vector graphic based program like Delorme Topo USA will always be best at the 3d views.
Allen NSS#57424
FiddleCaver
Prolific Poster

Postby Tom Gilleland » Oct 22, 2006 4:08 am

I've been using Topo for quite awhile now and I really like it. Though it was pretty expensive at $100 per state. I've been using just the Arizona State Topo and I've plotted many caves. I really like looking at the trends of cave locations so that I can make educated guesses on where to go ridgewalking. A friend of mine traced all the limestone outcropping in the state as routes, so now I have all these areas marked with the cave points. It is interesting that many times caves will only be located along one side a limestone outcroping area. The other big advantage for me is that the program will run on my Mac with it's 30 inch display. That's about 3/4 the size of 7.5 minute quad sideways! So to see a digital version of the map, with cave locations, and limestone outcrops is pretty cool.
Tom Gilleland
Prolific Poster

NSS #: 26508
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Southern Arizona Grotto

Postby graveleye » Oct 22, 2006 8:38 am

very good information. I really appreciate it. I'm thinking that $100/state is pretty high, but I'll only need three: T - A - G. :-)
ad astra per aspera

graveleye
Global Moderator

Postby Scott McCrea » Oct 22, 2006 9:18 am

http://www.topozone.com/ does just about everything I need. And it's free!
Scott McCrea
SWAYGO
Scott McCrea
Global Moderator

NSS #: 40839RL
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Flittermouse Grotto

Postby graveleye » Oct 23, 2006 3:29 pm

Scott McCrea wrote:http://www.topozone.com/ does just about everything I need. And it's free!

thing about topozone is that even with a quick connection they are still sooo slow. If you could scroll it the way you can do with Google Earth, it wouldnt be so bad.
ad astra per aspera

graveleye
Global Moderator

TOPO PROGRAMS

Postby Tony Anders » Nov 8, 2006 11:41 am

I have Delorme 3 and 5 as well as Terraign Navigator 1 for KY. Delorme 5 isn't as accurate as 3 is. I also have NG for Kentucky. It is very accurate but the data is from the old US Topo maps and some of the roads that are marked unimproved are now very good roads and such.

The live time tracking with the GPS works best with the NG program I have. I mean you stay right on the road on the map.

All in all I would like try Delorme topo 6 and see if it is as accurate as 3 especially since I can add our caves graphic in the delorme easier than I can in the NG :caver:

Hope this helps.
Tony Anders
NSS # 58346
Southeast Kentucky Speleological Club
See ya around, in the underground
Tony Anders
Occasional Poster

NSS #: 58346

Postby caverbill » Nov 8, 2006 4:15 pm

Although I use GIS software almost daily in my job, I use Map Tech Terrain Navigator at home and for teaching land navigation. I'm sure much of it is what you get used to using. There was a time where I think terrain navigaor was clearly the best for the money, many others companies have moved up.

The map tech technicial support is really good, it's gps and 3D features are excellent. I recomennd it on a regualr basis.
caverbill
Occasional Poster

Return to Open Talk Forum