SWAYGOgram #5

Buy or sell cave gear, speleo-publications.

Moderator: Moderators

SWAYGOgram #5

Postby Scott McCrea » Dec 14, 2005 9:45 am

Below is the email newsletter we send out to update cavers on what's happening with SWAYGO. Hope you like it.:grin:

Howdy,

Welcome to the 5th edition of the SWAYGOgram. Below you’ll find some of the latest news and information from SWAYGO. Enjoy!

* HAPPY HOLIDAYS FROM SWAYGO!
Check out the 2005 Holiday Card above or at http://www.swaygogear.com/holiday2005.htm. SWAYGO wishes everyone a safe, healthy and happy holiday season.

* 3 PACKS = FREE T-SHIRT!
Buy 3 or more SWAYGO packs, get a free SWAYGO t-shirt. Colors are gold, grey and white. Sizes are M, LG and XL. Offer only applicable if purchased through swaygogear.com.

* PACKS IMPROVED!
All SWAYGO packs now include two 1/8" closed-cell foam pads, for improved comfort and gear protection. These can be removed and used as a seat cushion, dinner table in the cave, padding for a sling in an emergency, and the list goes on…

* SWAYGO DONATION!
Each year SWAYGO will donate $1 for every pack sold to an organization that is dedicated to the conservation of cave and karsts resources. For 2005, the West Virginia Cave Conservancy (WVCC) has been selected. For more information about the WVCC, go to http://www.wvcc.net.

* SWAYGO TESTIMONIALS!
Are you still unsure about SWAYGO pack performance? Read the SWAYGO testimonials from our customers. To view – go to http://www.swaygogear.com/testimonial.htm .

* ARTICLES OF INTEREST!
Check out these caving related articles:

- Hot knife through butter! http://www.swaygogear.com/hotknife/default.html

- DANGER! Don't feed the micro-rack! http://www.swaygogear.com/micro/default.html

- Truck Camping 101 http://www.swaygogear.com/articles/truc ... fault.html

- Hidden dangers of short, static falls. http://www.swaygogear.com/articles/stat ... fault.html

As always, keep it simple and cave safe.

Kevin Quick, kevin@swaygogear.com and Scott McCrea, scott@swaygogear.com

SWAYGO, http://www.swaygogear.com
Scott McCrea
SWAYGO
Scott McCrea
Global Moderator

NSS #: 40839RL
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Flittermouse Grotto

Postby Lava » Jan 10, 2006 12:11 pm

Scott,

Why did you start including padding with your packs? I haven't ever used a cave pack with padding, and don't really see it as being necessary. Did you get a lot of requests for that feature?
Lava
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Bruce White
NSS #: 39223
Primary Grotto Affiliation: San Francisco Bay Chapter

Postby hank moon » Jan 10, 2006 1:17 pm

Lava wrote:Scott,

Why did you start including padding with your packs? I haven't ever used a cave pack with padding, and don't really see it as being necessary. Did you get a lot of requests for that feature?

I pad all my cave/canyon packs with thin closed-cell foam. Helps keep its shape while carrying on the back (makeshift frame), and keeps poky gear from wearing holes in the pack. Also makes the pack float better ('course that's no issue with the swaygo closure...). No holes in my packs since foamin' em.

hank
hank moon
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby Cheryl Jones » Jan 10, 2006 2:47 pm

:yeah that:

I've always carried a piece of closed cell foam in my caving packs to sit on to help stay warm when I'm sitting for any length of time in the usual cold cave. If everyone on the caving trip carried one, then the pads could be placed end on end under an injured caver to help ward off hypothermia.

I have a piece of soft 1/8 inch ensolite about 4 feet long that I carry at times instead of the butt-sized thicker piece, which takes up the same space when folded. It works well for me to nap on on long trips, and would provide torso-length thermal insulation for an injured caver awaiting rescue.

Cheryl
Cheryl Jones
Global Moderator

Name: Cheryl Jones
NSS #: 14479 FE OS
Primary Grotto Affiliation: BATS

Postby Scott McCrea » Jan 10, 2006 2:49 pm

Lava wrote:Why did you start including padding with your packs? I haven't ever used a cave pack with padding, and don't really see it as being necessary. Did you get a lot of requests for that feature?

Well, we originally intended to include padding with the packs, but it took a lot longer than we thought to get suppliers and the details worked out. Finally, we are able to deliver.

Hank is right. The pads improve the abrasion resistance of the packs. They also protect the stuff you have in the pack. They provide a little cushion between your back and the pack. They are white, making it less dark inside the packs. You can pull them out to sit on, sleep on, etc. You could draw a checker board on one if you get trapped or lost. They could pad a splint. Or you can take them out and leave them at home--they are not necessary, just nice to have.

They are multi-purpose, very useful items that don't weigh anything and take up very little space. They make me a more efficient caver.

We only got one request for pads... From Hank. :laughing: :waving:

Hope that answers your questions. If not, keep asking and I'll keep trying. :kewl:
Scott McCrea
SWAYGO
Scott McCrea
Global Moderator

Postby arkcaver » Jan 11, 2006 9:42 am

Scott, are you going to offer the pads for sale seperately for those of us who already have a Swaygo pack?
arkcaver
Infrequent Poster

Postby Scott McCrea » Jan 11, 2006 8:44 pm

arkcaver wrote:Scott, are you going to offer the pads for sale seperately for those of us who already have a Swaygo pack?

Yes, we do. You get a pair of pads cut to fit whatever size pack you have for $5.00, including shipping. If you can pick them up from us at a caving event or where ever, they are $2.00. Email me if you would like a set. :kewl:
Scott McCrea
SWAYGO
Scott McCrea
Global Moderator

Postby Lava » Jan 12, 2006 7:42 pm

Scott,

Was any extra material added to the packs to keep the foam in place? Or are they just held in place by the shape of the pack?
Lava
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby Scott McCrea » Jan 12, 2006 8:19 pm

Lava wrote:Scott,

Was any extra material added to the packs to keep the foam in place? Or are they just held in place by the shape of the pack?

Yes, they are just held in place by the shape of the pack. They line most of the inside of the pack. The only part that isn't covered by the pads is the 4 or so inches that rolls down.
Scott McCrea
SWAYGO
Scott McCrea
Global Moderator

Postby Lava » Jan 13, 2006 2:17 am

Scott McCrea wrote:Yes, they are just held in place by the shape of the pack. They line most of the inside of the pack. The only part that isn't covered by the pads is the 4 or so inches that rolls down.

Ah, I see. No biggie then. I can still have my Swaygo pack just the way I like it! :-)
Lava
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Return to Speleo-Marketplace