Auction, Last one Available: CAVES AND CAVING IN TAG

Buy or sell cave gear, speleo-publications.

Moderator: Moderators

Auction, Last one Available: CAVES AND CAVING IN TAG

Postby tagkycaver » Jun 6, 2014 6:24 am

Just in time for the NSS Convention! Caves and Caving in Tag, Guidebook to 1989 Convention in Sewanee, Tennessee. (William O. Putnam, Editor). Original, mint, proof copy obtained directly from the printer! 240 pages, tons of detailed maps and explicit cave descriptions with detailed directions; countless famous TAG classics; including full size fold-out maps of Sinking Cove and Wet Cave and more, interviews and photos of Bill Torode and others. This book is in absolutely perfect and pristine condition. No marks or tears of any kind.

Auction starts 8am central time 6-6-14, and ends 8am central time 6-16-2014.

Bidding will start at $200, and supplemental bids must be in $10 increments. I will pay postage; no international shipments.
tagkycaver
Frequent Poster

NSS #: 17845
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Nashville

Re: Auction, Last one Available: CAVES AND CAVING IN TAG

Postby DawgsgoCaving » Jun 6, 2014 9:56 am

$200!? I hope it comes with permits to get to some of those caves since a lot of them are closed now
DawgsgoCaving
Prolific Poster

Name: Josh Schultz
NSS #: 65630RE
Primary Grotto Affiliation: CTG SCCi 3501

Postby BrianFrank » Jun 6, 2014 1:00 pm

$210
All TAG cavers join http://www.SCCI.org. A small price for a GREAT resource.
BrianFrank
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Brian
NSS #: 52121
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Dogwood City Grotto

Postby Caving Guru » Jun 6, 2014 5:05 pm

$200 is a pretty insane amount of money to start the bidding for a convention guidebook. I guess I am lucky that I got the 1998 NSS Convention Guidebook for Sewanee, TN for $50 and the 2005 NSS Convention Guidebook for Huntsville, AL for $30 winning the bidding here on Cave Chat. To me the 1989 Convention Guidebook is just not worth 200+ dollars.
Caving Guru
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby BrianFrank » Jun 6, 2014 9:25 pm

Greg, not nice to try and ruin the markability of a great product that someone is selling on Cavechat....just saying you wouldn't want someone to do that to you :shrug:
BrianFrank
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby Caving Guru » Jun 6, 2014 10:45 pm

BrianFrank wrote:Greg, not nice to try and ruin the markability of a great product that someone is selling on Cavechat....just saying you wouldn't want someone to do that to you :shrug:

BrianFrank, my intentions were never to try and ruin the markability of the NSS Guidebook. When I make a post on Cave Chat or anywhere for that matter, the only thing that I focus on is writing what my mind is thinking in my head. I am sorry that it may have seemed like from my previous post that I was trying to ruin the markability of the 1989 NSS Guidebook. I would love to have the 1989 NSS Guidebook but there is no way that I am paying over $200 for it. It seems like a lot of Cave Chat users criticize me for my thoughts when my only intention is to speak my mind. And how would I be ruining the markability of the 1989 NSS Guidebook by speaking my mind anyways? I don't think my thoughts are going to prevent anyone from bidding. And if no one else bids it is to your benefit, BrianFrank, since you are currently the highest bidder.
Caving Guru
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby BrianFrank » Jun 7, 2014 12:10 am

Greg, I just don't think its top quality etiquette to speak negatively when it may cost someone $$$ and you have no "skin in the game" on this offering. We are all here to work together for a positive experience on Cave Chat. You asked "how would I be ruining the markability", well, I think when you said 1.) "$200 is a pretty insane amount of money to start the bidding for a convention guidebook" and 2.) "the 1989 Convention Guidebook is just not worth 200+ dollars". I'm sure tagkycaver doesn't appreciate those comments on the same page that he is detailing how great the book is at the starting price of $200.

You mentioned that you are receiving a lot of criticism from others on Cave Chat when you speak your mind, I'm sorry about that.

Anyway, this is for sure a great book and well worth the $200. I have owned this book before, but gave it to a buddy who caves more than I do. With dozens of maps and descriptions of great caves in my area, it is a one of a kind resource that I doubt will be available to the public again.

BrianFrank
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby Caving Guru » Jun 7, 2014 4:14 am

Never mind then. I guess it has a lot more cave descriptions and maps and is rarer than the 1998 and 2005 NSS Guidebooks so I guess that makes it worth it. Sorry again about my comments. It seems that I was most likely wrong about what I said. I really had no previous knowledge about the 1989 NSS Guudebook so I really didn't know much about it. I just assumed that it was similar to the $50 1998 Guidebook and $30 2005 Guidebook. And you are probably right, BrianFrank, that many of the comments that I make on Cave Chat have no positive effect and are just me typing what I am thinking at the moment when I see a post and that I don't think of the effects of my posts.
Caving Guru
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby tagkycaver » Jun 8, 2014 3:47 am

There is a small but passionate group of cavers that get great joy in collecting cave books and in building personal caving libraries. (We are especially fond of old, rare, and hard to find items; Depths of the Earth, The Life of the Cave, Caves of Tennessee, etc.) A basic premise of economics is that rarity (scarcity) increases value. When lots of people want something and only a few exist, the price goes up. (Check out the price of carbide lamps on ebay!) This particular publication is truly as classic; a comparatively few were printed, and most that survive are well used and "loved to death." A mint copy is almost unheard of. I wouldn't be surprised if the few people that own one in perfect condition wouldn't be willing to sell theirs for ANY price. (We're just that way!)
tagkycaver
Frequent Poster

Postby Caving Guru » Jun 8, 2014 3:35 pm

Now the starting price makes more sense to me.
Caving Guru
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby Anonymous_Coward » Jun 9, 2014 1:12 pm

One difference that some might not realize is that older convention guidebooks included DIRECTIONS to the caves, not just descriptions and maps.
Andy Armstrong
American Carbide Council
Anonymous_Coward
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

NSS #: 45993RL FE
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Paha Sapa Grotto

Postby DawgsgoCaving » Jun 9, 2014 4:51 pm

Anonymous_Coward wrote:One difference that some might not realize is that older convention guidebooks included DIRECTIONS to the caves, not just descriptions and maps.

I apologize for my ignorance. I had no idea this used to be the case.
DawgsgoCaving
Prolific Poster

Name: Josh Schultz
NSS #: 65630RE
Primary Grotto Affiliation: CTG SCCi 3501

Postby Mudduck » Jun 11, 2014 10:23 pm

Didnt know Caves of Tennessee was a hard to find item. I've had one for years in great condition.
I think I can...I think I can...I think I can
Mudduck
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Bill Reed
NSS #: 60046
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Currently a Lone caver

Postby Larry E. Matthews » Jun 12, 2014 8:11 pm

What is a book worth? Well.................the answer is simple.

It is worth EXACTLY what the seller AND the buyer decide it is worth.

Whatever it sells for...............that is what it is worth on that particular day.

Most of these books are surprisingly rare. Think how many still survive. Most cave books have printings of ONLY a few hundred.

Larry E. Matthews
NSS #6792-f
Larry E. Matthews
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

NSS #: 6792
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Nashville Grotto

Postby tagkycaver » Jun 16, 2014 7:58 pm

Brian Frank is the winner at $200. PM me and we'll arrange shipping.
tagkycaver
Frequent Poster

Return to Speleo-Marketplace