WTB 6 bar rack

Buy or sell cave gear, speleo-publications.

Moderator: Moderators

WTB 6 bar rack

Postby GroundquestMSA » Apr 28, 2014 9:10 pm

I'm planning my first real vertically-oriented trip to TN and VA in a month or so, and I'd like to practice on a big rack. I've been using a BMS micro, but it's a short frame and I'm light, and I don't think it'll go too smooth after I get my rope good and dirty. I had an SMC with steel u-bars, and it was stolen from the front seat of my car. Can't imagine why. I liked that one fine, but I think I would be ok with tubular or solid bars too. I would prefer an older or homemade rack if it's not too worn, just because I like old gear, but this isn't a priority.

If anyone has an unused extra or wants to trade for a short frame micro and/or crusty old Kong stop-style bobbin, give me a shout, Otherwise I'll go for a new one.
GroundquestMSA
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Re: WTB 6 bar rack

Postby snoboy » Apr 29, 2014 11:14 am

1 or 2 hyperbars on your micro?
snoboy
Prolific Poster

Primary Grotto Affiliation: BC Speleological Federation

Postby GroundquestMSA » Apr 29, 2014 10:18 pm

GroundquestMSA
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby PatB » Apr 30, 2014 7:12 pm

Would you consider just purchasing the longer rack frame and reusing your bars from your micro rack? My buddy, who probably weighs in at around 130 lb, used my spare BMS micro during our recent trip south on the longest vertical drop inside a cave in the US. He had to feed the rack a lot of the way and said it (wasn't pleasurable). I'm not sure if that was before or after he ran a lock of his hair through the rack. LOL. He can't say I didn't warn him.

Anyway, I use the long rack BMS with one hyper bar on top and that works fine for my 185 lb butt. So you might be happy with just purchasing the longer rack and putting your existing bars on it.
PatB
Infrequent Poster

NSS #: 45###RL
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Western Maryland Grotto

Postby GroundquestMSA » Apr 30, 2014 7:29 pm

That's not a bad idea. I 'll probably get a longer frame if I keep the micro, but I still want a 6-bar.

I weigh about as much as your buddy, do you think the longer frame would let me slide down a couple of hundred feet of dirty rope without too much struggle?
GroundquestMSA
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby LukeM » May 1, 2014 7:59 am

I have definitely seen people your size use a long frame micro for drops in the 200'+ range, and without any issues. Crusty 11mm? You might have to feed a little in the beginning, but I suspect it would be quite tolerable overall. You actually have some decent room to manually spread the bars on a long frame.
LukeM
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Luke Mazza
NSS #: 59317
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Syracuse University Outing Club

Postby PatB » May 5, 2014 3:32 pm

GroundquestMSA wrote:That's not a bad idea. I 'll probably get a longer frame if I keep the micro, but I still want a 6-bar.

I weigh about as much as your buddy, do you think the longer frame would let me slide down a couple of hundred feet of dirty rope without too much struggle?

You should be fine with the longer rack. It's what I use and what my buddy wishes he'd had. With two hyper-bars, you've got a lot of options.
PatB
Infrequent Poster

NSS #: 45###RL
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Western Maryland Grotto

Return to Speleo-Marketplace