Auction #91: Caves of Colorado by LLoyd E. Parris - 1973

Buy or sell cave gear, speleo-publications.

Moderator: Moderators

Auction #91: Caves of Colorado by LLoyd E. Parris - 1973

Postby Larry E. Matthews » Apr 27, 2014 7:44 pm

Oh, this is a wonderful book !!!! Hardbound, 8.75 X 11.25, and the Dust Jacket is in great shape. The book is absolutely like new, except for my name and NSS number written inside on the title page. It is a big 248 pages long.

"The fascinating account of the 265 known caves of Colorado--their history of exploration--their locations and eerie legends--by one of Colorado's foremost spelunkers. Fully illustrated with 50 maps and 158 photographs." This is the First Edition.

This book sold on eBay on September 3, 2003 for $305. Repeat: SOLD for $305. Yes, it is that rare.

This auction starts today, Sunday, April 27, and ends in two weeks on May 11 at 8:00 pm CDT.

I'll start this auction at $100, a bargain in anybody's opinion. Subsequent bids must be in $10 increments. Postage in a padded mailer will be an additional $5. No International Shipments. Don't ask.

Good luck !!!

Larry E. Matthews
NSS #6792-F
Last edited by Larry E. Matthews on Apr 28, 2014 7:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
Larry E. Matthews
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

NSS #: 6792
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Nashville Grotto

Re: Auctionb #91: Caves of Colorado by LLoyd E. Parris - 197

Postby Caving Guru » Apr 27, 2014 9:35 pm

$100 seems a little high for me since I am kind of on a budget at the moment but I will bid $50 on it even though I know your minimum is $100 just because it would be handy to have. Not sure I will ever be in Colorado though. It would be nice to have if I ever end up going to Colorado though and end up caving there.
Caving Guru
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Re: Auction #91: Caves of Colorado by LLoyd E. Parris - 1973

Postby caverdan » May 10, 2014 5:45 pm

Greg,
I've seen copies go for as much as $300.00 at our grotto auction. :kewl:

Of coarse.....Mikie was the auctioneer ........and it all goes to a good cause. :banana_yay: :banana: :banana_yay: :banana:
Member: Colorado Madrats, SoCoMoGro,CWSG.
caverdan
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

NSS #: 40262

Postby Phil Winkler » May 10, 2014 7:27 pm

That book was very controversial when it came out. Locations and all that. I remember it well and I think the NSS Office did sell copies.
Phil Winkler
13627 FE
Phil Winkler
Global Moderator

NSS #: 13627FE

Postby caverdan » May 11, 2014 11:49 am

Phil Winkler wrote:That book was very controversial when it came out. Locations and all that. I remember it well and I think the NSS Office did sell copies.

He was kicked out of the local grotto and grotto members tried really hard to get him kicked out of the NSS. Every one of those cavers have a copy of his book or have used it to find caves. It is still heavily used today, and a lot of the misinformation in it has been corrected in our Madrat guide books.

Larry,
I'll start the bidding at $100.00. :kewl:
Member: Colorado Madrats, SoCoMoGro,CWSG.
caverdan
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

NSS #: 40262

Postby Caving Guru » May 11, 2014 8:07 pm

"You've been outbid. I thought I'd let you know, just in case you wanted to bid again.

Thanks.

Larry

Greg Jones wrote:
$100 seems a little high for me since I am kind of on a budget at the moment but I will bid $50 on it even though I know your minimum is $100 just because it would be handy to have. Not sure I will ever be in Colorado though. It would be nice to have if I ever end up going to Colorado though and end up caving there.
Larry E. Matthews
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster"

Thanks for letting me know Larry but I was caving all day so I wasn't able to see your message until now. I wouldn't have bid any higher anyways. $50 seems too high for me to spend now that I think about it because I don't plan on being in Colorado anytime in the near future.
Caving Guru
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby Caving Guru » May 11, 2014 8:34 pm

caverdan wrote:Greg,
I've seen copies go for as much as $300.00 at our grotto auction. :kewl:

Of coarse.....Mikie was the auctioneer ........and it all goes to a good cause. :banana_yay: :banana: :banana_yay: :banana:

caverdan, this makes sense seeing that this auction took place in Colorado. I live no where near Colorado and do not plan on going to Colorado in the near future. I am not sure that a $100 caving book on Colorado that I might never use would be worth it for me.
Caving Guru
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby Larry E. Matthews » May 11, 2014 9:19 pm

Caverdan is the winner !!! I am sure he will enjoy this book.

At one time, I think I had every State book on caves that was available. Made a nice collection, but now I am selling them off, one at a time.

Larry
Larry E. Matthews
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

NSS #: 6792
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Nashville Grotto

Return to Speleo-Marketplace