New Fern Cave Book

Buy or sell cave gear, speleo-publications.

Moderator: Moderators

New Fern Cave Book

Postby trogman » Apr 13, 2014 11:33 am

Jennifer Pinkley has a new book about Fern Cave that will be available soon. If you pre-order, you will be able to choose from several available “thank you” gifts. Here is an excerpt of what she said about the book on her website:

“This book will be a quality paperback book, 8 inches tall by 6.5 inches wide with excellent quality paper. There are numerous photos inside the book and they will be printed in black and white. The book is not laid out yet, but it will likely be between 300 and 350 pages. The cover will be in color and will feature about 18 images of the cave and its explorers. Visit my website for sample chapters and much more information about the book. “

The website is: https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/fern-cave-the-discovery-exploration-and-history-of-alabama-s-greatest-cave#home

I have pre-ordered mine, and would encourage others to do so as well. Can’t wait to see this book!

Trogman :helmet:
trogman
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Stephen Brewer
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Gadsden Grotto

Re: New Fern Cave Book

Postby Larry E. Matthews » Apr 13, 2014 8:10 pm

The book hasn't been laid out yet, and is going to be ready for sale in July?

Good luck !!!
Larry E. Matthews
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

NSS #: 6792
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Nashville Grotto

Postby Pippin » Apr 14, 2014 11:39 am

Thanks for posting this, Trogman! Yep. We're working on the layout now. It's going to the printer in early June. A fantastic graphic designer is creating a really gorgeous cover as well as interior layout. I'm not on CaveChat very often, but if anyone has any questions, just send me an email at pinkleyj@gmail.com. I'm also setting up an informal reception at convention this year with a lot of the people mentioned in the book who were/are involved in the exploration and mapping of Fern. I'm self publishing instead of going through the NSS because I want to split a large percentage of the profits between the NSS and the SCCi (and I'm also going to offer ebooks and the NSS said they can't do that). As a result, I'm funding the printing myself. If you think you might want to get this book, I'd like to ask that you pre-order. That will help cover the printing costs and it will also give me a better idea of how much interest there is in the book and how many I should order. I can either give you the book at convention or just mail it to you in July. Thanks!

Jennifer
Pippin
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

NSS #: 22545

Postby Larry E. Matthews » Apr 14, 2014 11:57 am

Well, I for one look forward to seeing the book at the Convention. It is certainly an amazing cave that needs a new, up-to-date book written about it.

Bill Torode's book was good, but has been out-of-print a LONG time and, obviously, is not up-to-date.

Larry
Larry E. Matthews
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby Phil Winkler » Apr 14, 2014 12:01 pm

Larry, you mean the one with Bill on the cover? I think Donal Myrick wrote it.

Or did Bill write one, too? I don't remember seeing it.
Phil Winkler
13627 FE
Phil Winkler
Global Moderator

NSS #: 13627FE

Postby Pippin » Apr 14, 2014 1:21 pm

Don Myrick wrote the 1972 book about Fern. Bill Torode is on the inside cover. That photo will be in the new book! :-)
Pippin
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby Pippin » Apr 14, 2014 1:26 pm

Oh, and I'm scheduling an informal reception for the book at convention. I'm inviting everyone who was involved in the discovery and exploration of Fern back in the 60s and 70s, as well as people involved in more recent years. I'm sure they will all sign books too! Steve Pitts will be there to show off the new map he's working on (surveying is not complete since FWS shut down the project, but he's drafted what we have). Anyone interested in the cave or the book can stop by!
Pippin
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby Larry E. Matthews » Apr 14, 2014 4:25 pm

You're right...........Don Myrick wrote it and Bill Torode is on the Front Cover. My mistake.

Larry
Larry E. Matthews
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby Larry E. Matthews » May 22, 2014 9:07 am

I hear this book is already out. Is that true?

Larry
Larry E. Matthews
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby trogman » May 28, 2014 10:08 am

Larry E. Matthews wrote:I hear this book is already out. Is that true?

Larry

No, at least not according to Jenner's recent posts on FB. It won't be long, though!

Trogman :helmet:
trogman
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Stephen Brewer
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Gadsden Grotto

Return to Speleo-Marketplace