1st Edition Caves of Tennessee & Desc. TN Caves

Buy or sell cave gear, speleo-publications.

Moderator: Moderators

1st Edition Caves of Tennessee & Desc. TN Caves

Postby tagkycaver » Jul 14, 2013 9:10 am

Original, FIRST EDITION HARDCOVER SET, Tom Barr, "Caves of Tennessee," and Larry Matthews "Descriptions of Tennessee Caves."
Both are ex-library copies, with shelf numbers on outside spine cover. Both are used, contain the complete maps in the rear pockets, and in are very good to excellent condition. Both copies were obtained legally.

The 'Caves of Tennessee" is the extremely rare (and almost impossible to find) First Edition, (1961) with original hard blue cover. It has "Hamilton College Library, Clinton, NY" stamp inside the front cover, has original library-tape reinforced spine and corners, and has that nostalgic "old library smell." There are no markings or tears anywhere in or on the book that I have been able to find; (the "check-out card" envelope has been removed, and paper remnants of it remain inside the rear cover.) This book is in such pristine condition it appears as if it may never have been checked out. As Larry Matthews has previously noted, after this book was printed in 1961, the original plates were lost, so all later reprints (1972 etc.) are "copies of copies." Few of these original printings seem to survive.

The "Descriptions of Tennessee Caves" is also in very good condition with the original hard cover. It has "The Cumberland Museum and Science Center" stamped inside the front and rear covers, still has the "check-out card" envelope inside the back cover, and has "Douglas W. Albaugh" (previous owner) stamped inside the front cover. There are no markings or tears anywhere in or on the book that I have been able to find; the book shows almost no wear and tear.

$350 plus $10 shipping
tagkycaver
Frequent Poster

NSS #: 17845
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Nashville

Re: 1st Edition Caves of Tennessee & Desc. TN Caves

Postby GroundquestMSA » Jul 14, 2013 11:58 am

I had the chance to get both of these books for free a while back when an older caver was giving away much of his library. The Barr was a first edition but it was a bit battered. I felt guilty just taking such a rare book. I spent some time looking through them and then left them for someone else. (I did take both Douglas' Caves of VA and Holsinger's Descriptions of VA caves)

Anyway, I love old books, and am sorry I can't afford these.
GroundquestMSA
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Return to Speleo-Marketplace