Auction #40 - 4 Issues of the Journal of Spelean History

Buy or sell cave gear, speleo-publications.

Moderator: Moderators

Auction #40 - 4 Issues of the Journal of Spelean History

Postby Larry E. Matthews » May 13, 2012 9:11 am

Here are some duplicate issues of The Journal of Spelean History that I have accumulated over the years. All are in perfect, like-new condition.

Volume 18, Nos. 3 & 4 (July-December, 1984). Contains an article by Charles Clark on the first trip to the bottom of Bull Cave, the deepest cave in Tennessee. Other topics are Hellhole, West Virginia, Natural Well, Alabama, Jingle Hole, Tennessee, Frenchman Knob, Kentucky, Conley Hole, Tennessee, Red Barrell Pit, Tennessee, The Devil's Sinkhole, Texas, and Mystery Falls, Tennessee. As you can see, this is a Pit Oriented issue. 71 pages long !!!

Volume 23, Nos. 1 & 2 (Jan. - June, 1989). This issue is labeled "Special Show Cave Issue" and consists of one article by Gary K. Soule identifying all the known Show Caves in the United States. Very good reference item. 34 pages long.

Volume 30, No. 4 (October-December, 1996). Great article by Joe Douglas on the use of caves as Fallout Shelters during the Cold War, an article by me on Shelah Waters of Cumberland Caverns fame, and an article on Howe Caverns in New York. 22 pages long.

Volume 40, No. 1 (January-June, 2006). Great listing of US Post Office with cave names, an article of Nickajack Cave, Tennessee, Albert Tissandier's Drawings of Mammoth Cave, and The Carver's Cave of Minneapolis. 36 pages long.

These make for fantastic reading and are great reference material. I'll start this auction at $8, which is only $2 per copy, plus $2 postage. All bids must be in even dollar amounts. No International Shipments. Auction starts today, Sunday May 13 and ends Sunday May 27 at 5:00 pm.

Good luck !!!

Larry E. Matthews
NSS #6792-F
Larry E. Matthews
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

NSS #: 6792
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Nashville Grotto

Re: Auction #40 - 4 Issues of the Journal of Spelean History

Postby UnderGroundEarth » May 21, 2012 7:24 am

$8

Kelly
^V^
Unearthly Beauty Lies Underground for those who Venture In!
www.flickr.com/undergroundearth
UnderGroundEarth
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Kelly Smallwood
NSS #: 58745 RL,FE
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Sewanee Mountain Grotto

Postby BSnyder » May 23, 2012 1:53 pm

$10
BSnyder
Occasional Poster

Name: Bruce Snyder
NSS #: 46254
Primary Grotto Affiliation: South Carolina Interstate Grotto

Postby UnderGroundEarth » May 23, 2012 3:11 pm

BSnyder wrote:$10

Larry, I want to thank you for bringing these publications to my attention and I really enjoy the first lot I purchased. In fact, I sent in a check this week to join the American Spelean History Association as well. I also went ahead and ordered 8 other back issues of the Journal from them that features articles in the TAG region. I would love to be able to purchase these additional ones from you but BSnyder has already went above what they would cost if I just ordered them direct from ASHA. :shrug: I look forward to more auctions from you and continuing to build my own library.

Kelly
^V^
Unearthly Beauty Lies Underground for those who Venture In!
www.flickr.com/undergroundearth
UnderGroundEarth
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Kelly Smallwood
NSS #: 58745 RL,FE
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Sewanee Mountain Grotto

Postby Larry E. Matthews » May 27, 2012 8:29 pm

Bruce Snyder is the winner!

Thank you.
Larry E. Matthews
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster