WANTED: Purple dynamic

Buy or sell cave gear, speleo-publications.

Moderator: Moderators

WANTED: Purple dynamic

Postby self-deleted_user » Sep 24, 2011 2:55 pm

I want purple cowstails! I've looked all over. Only way to buy dynamic /at all/ seems to be in these huuuuuge coils of it. Purple is made. It's all over the place! Petzl has it, Beal Edlinger has it, etc! The rope-makers MAKE IT. So why am I told 'oh purple is a hard dye that's why it doesn't exist". Uhm...it DOES exist, and there are actually quite a few!

I know I can get it in the UK, I've seen it. But shipping would be a PITA and way too expensive for a bit 'o rope.

It exists...so why can't I find it in the US?

Any climbers out there buying some new rope wanna get purple and I'll pay for a bit of it, maybe? I'll be at TAG.
Self-deleted due to large troll population on the forum, and absence of moderation.
self-deleted_user
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Re: WANTED: Purple dynamic

Postby Bob Thrun » Sep 25, 2011 12:53 am

At OTR, On Rope 1 was selling short lengths of dynamic rope for use as cowstails. I did not pay much attention to color since I would not be buying it. I see on the OR1 websites that multiple colors are available. The rope is listed as a 10 foot piece of 10.6 mm dynamic.
Bob Thrun
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby self-deleted_user » Sep 25, 2011 12:57 am

Yeah I called they said they've never seen purple dynamic rope. I've asked IMO and Karst Sports as well. :/
Self-deleted due to large troll population on the forum, and absence of moderation.
self-deleted_user
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby batrotter » Sep 25, 2011 11:36 am

Amy, I have 50 meters, I think, of 11 millimeter dynamic purple rope. It has been in the top of my closet for maybe 7 or 8 years now. It has hardly seen the light of day, except for the occasional incandescent closet light. Another caver, Steve Collins now living in Tennessee bought a 100 meter coil but only wanted 50 meters of it. I bought the rest of it. The rope has never been used. I think I payed $50 for it. If you want it for $50 and shipping it's yours. I can send you a picture.
batrotter
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Bruce Trotter
NSS #: 27849RL
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Indiana Cave Survey

Postby self-deleted_user » Sep 25, 2011 3:11 pm

Sorry I don't need 50 meters, I only need like...3meters.
self-deleted_user
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby Chads93GT » Sep 25, 2011 5:27 pm

so you dont want 140 feet of extra rope to play around with so you dont have to rely on other people to practice rope rigging in your living room, yard, garage, whatever? That is SUPER cheap, and it means you can tie 15 cowstails with it ;)
Chads93GT
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby self-deleted_user » Sep 25, 2011 5:41 pm

I have 200ft of PMI pit rope now.

Just have to find somewhere to USE it. That's still a problem. Can't even convince my mom to let me use a tree at the house...and we have a lot of nice trees that would be super easy to rig.

Also flights to TAG just went up three days ago and I don't have mine booked yet. Right now it's looking like no cave-in or bridge day for me, it's gonna cost too much to get there. What happened to the $69 flight 3 weeks ago? >_< Which reallllly sucks because I already paid for TAG and I refuse to miss it! But...I refuse to rack up credit card debt to attend, as well. I would try something crazy like give back massages to cavers at TAG for cash or something, but then I'd have to hang out above ground so then...what was the point of going? I do give seriously amazing back massages though so if anyone wants one they should toss me some cash for one.

I was hoping for like $5 for a bit of rope not $50 lol. If I had $50 I would get some things I need for an overnight cave trip next month that I'm also not prepared for.

Sucks being skint. I almost want to be a grad student again. I made a heckufalot more money on my stipend than I do now. However that shit works. Seriously, what went wrong there?
self-deleted_user
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby batrotter » Sep 25, 2011 7:28 pm

Sungura wrote:I was hoping for like $5 for a bit of rope not $50 lol.

Yea,"lol". I'm not not laughing chick. Sounds like you want someone to give it you. Why did I even bother? Geez.
batrotter
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Bruce Trotter
NSS #: 27849RL
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Indiana Cave Survey

Postby self-deleted_user » Sep 25, 2011 7:30 pm

Nonono, I was looking for a few feet, I'd not expect 50ft for $5. But I don't *need* 50ft. Make sense?
self-deleted_user
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby caverdan » Sep 25, 2011 8:20 pm

Lowes and Home Depot have purple rope for $5.00. We bought a bunch for the 2011 NSS convention banquet......(we too were cheap like you :grin: ) I might still have some of that around I can sell you. :big grin: Makes good loaner rope. :kewl: :laughing:
Member: Colorado Madrats, SoCoMoGro,CWSG.
caverdan
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

NSS #: 40262

Postby self-deleted_user » Sep 25, 2011 9:09 pm

HAHAHHAHA no thanks CaverDan

I'm sorry if I'm wrong - I was assuming that since static is like $0.60/ft, that expecting similar for dynamic makes sense, and only needing about 10 ft, it should be around $5. Make sense now? Sheeeeeesh! I'm not trying to be like "cheap way to rappel" person, I just don't want more than I need, and I was hoping someone had a end-of-spool scrap or something like that, or maybe wouldn't mind cutting 3m (since it seems the dynamic likes to be sold in m) off. A pre-tied dynamic rope cowstail from OR1 is $10, so I was definitly not expecting more than $10. Or, ok, so 60m of dynamic seems to be around $170. So basically 200ft. that's less than $1/ft. So again, talking $5-$10.

Does the pricing make sense now? If I am wrong correct me but I don't think expecting to get 3m/10ft something like that of rope for $5 ($10 at most) is crazy...considering that is the retail price for it. I am really confused at why people are taking offense and thinking I am being cheap...I'm thinking in terms of retail value with my $5-$10 expectation, and I thought I made it clear in the OP I only wanted enough for a cowstail.
self-deleted_user
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby LukeM » Sep 26, 2011 7:54 am

Contact manufacturers who have purple rope and ask if they have any "shorts" of that type laying around that they could sell you.Try to find an email or phone number for that company better than "customerservice@...". Someone at Sterling was willing to do that for me, and I see that they have some dynamic ropes in purple.
LukeM
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Luke Mazza
NSS #: 59317
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Syracuse University Outing Club

Postby jharman2 » Sep 26, 2011 2:46 pm

batrotter wrote:Amy, I have 50 meters, I think, of 11 millimeter dynamic purple rope. It has been in the top of my closet for maybe 7 or 8 years now. It has hardly seen the light of day, except for the occasional incandescent closet light. Another caver, Steve Collins now living in Tennessee bought a 100 meter coil but only wanted 50 meters of it. I bought the rest of it. The rope has never been used. I think I payed $50 for it. If you want it for $50 and shipping it's yours. I can send you a picture.

Send me a picture. At $1/meter that is a steal!
John Harman (Pantin apologist)
http://www.wvunderground.net/
jharman2
Prolific Poster

Name: John Harman
NSS #: 58082
Primary Grotto Affiliation: WVUSG

Return to Speleo-Marketplace