Landjoff Packs

Buy or sell cave gear, speleo-publications.

Moderator: Moderators

Re: Landjoff Packs

Postby self-deleted_user » Apr 9, 2011 1:07 pm

Yeah. I mean, that sounds like it would fit my 1 L nalgene bottle perfect...and nothing else.

Ok, so then, what is the size of the 21 L? maybe we could get dimensions on all these things because clearly the L system doesn't mean much at all.
Self-deleted due to large troll population on the forum, and absence of moderation.
self-deleted_user
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby NZcaver » Apr 9, 2011 4:17 pm

Sungura wrote:Yeah. I mean, that sounds like it would fit my 1 L nalgene bottle perfect...and nothing else.

:laughing: I know what you mean (says he who carries a ton of shite when he goes caving...) :big grin:

Ok, so then, what is the size of the 21 L? maybe we could get dimensions on all these things because clearly the L system doesn't mean much at all.

Liters is the international standard measure for pack volume, and many manufacturers use this to identify the different models they make. But I agree, dimensions are far more useful than simple volume to most of us.

John posted photos earlier in this topic using Darren drums for scale. For those who don't carry Darren drums, diameter (and height) measurements might be appreciated.
NZcaver
Global Moderator

Name: Jansen
NSS #: 50665RL

Postby self-deleted_user » Apr 9, 2011 4:54 pm

Yeah I saw that, but that was just 2 sizes. And I don't know what a Darren drum looks like (size-wise, I mean, I can see it in the photo of course). It looks like the big bottles of Sucrose we get from Sigma.

And yes, I'm good with liters, I work in a freakin' lab. I sometimes use celcius without thinking about it and confuse friends/family. But I do know how big a liter should be, and I can't see those dimensions holding 5 liters, when it sounds like it will hold 1 liter waterbottle and nothing else, and 1 liter =/= 5 liters, last I checked. :tonguecheek:

Okay I did a bit of research.

dimentions of landjoff packs for those of us who care!
H x D x W
2.54 cm = 1 inch, approx after b/c I'm lazy and don't want a calculator when cm makes perfect sense to me :P
I could not find specs on the 5L but thanks to EvanG
5L: H 12.6 in X W 5.7 (dia)
15L: 50сm х 15сm x 20cm (20 x 6 x 8)
21: 55сm х 22сm (diameter, circle) (22 x 9)
28: 60сm х 24.5сm (dia) (25 x 10)
33: 60см х 20cm x 30сm (25 x 8 x 12)
42: 65сm х 20.5сm х 34сm (27 x 8 x 13.5)
Self-deleted due to large troll population on the forum, and absence of moderation.
self-deleted_user
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby Tenzin Beck » Apr 9, 2011 8:27 pm

Liters makes much more sense to me than dimensions... dimensions can be deceptive. Volume is what really tells you how much stuff you can squeeze in there. Just gotta learn the scale.
Darkness is impossible to remember. Consequently, cavers desire to return to the unseen depths where they have just been.
Darkness never satisfies. Darkness cannot satisfy. Especially if it takes something away, which it almost invariably does.
Tenzin Beck
Frequent Poster

Primary Grotto Affiliation: Sandia Grotto

Postby self-deleted_user » Apr 9, 2011 10:03 pm

Tenzin Beck wrote:Liters makes much more sense to me than dimensions... dimensions can be deceptive. Volume is what really tells you how much stuff you can squeeze in there. Just gotta learn the scale.

Sorry Tenzin, I would agree, but when the 5L pack really only holds 1L, there is obviously a volume issue.
self-deleted_user
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby NZcaver » Apr 9, 2011 11:53 pm

Sungura wrote:... I would agree, but when the 5L pack really only holds 1L, there is obviously a volume issue.

From what you (and Evan) say, the 5L Landjoff pack measures 5.7 inches in diameter by 12.6 inches high. This converts to 14.478cm in diameter x 32.004cm high. If my fuzzy memory serves me correctly, the area of a cylinder is determined by pi r^2 h.

That's 3.142 x 7.239 squared x 32.004 = 5270.916 cubic cm = just over 5 LITERS! You did just get a master's degree in science - right? :shrug:

Of course this pack is too small (and the wrong shape) to physically fit five 1-liter water bottles. This is just a grab-bag, something for keeping your lunch/drink or vertical gear separate inside your pack.
NZcaver
Global Moderator

Name: Jansen
NSS #: 50665RL

Postby self-deleted_user » Apr 10, 2011 12:29 am

Yes, exactly, shape issue. Volume is great but if in reality due to shapes of things going in it's not the right shape, not much help for me.

Math works, sure! I didn't mean to sound like an idiot! haha. But as determined for the *shape* of it being wrong (for me anyway), it's gonna be hard to actually make *use* of 5 L, so calling it simply 5L without knowing dimentions is annoying to me. It could be a tall narrow tube for all I know! (I mean, likely not since this is a cavepack, but you get my drift). Volume doesn't necessarily say anything about the use of the packing. I can fit a lot of stuff into smaller spaces if the size is right to easily make use of said space!

And I"m totally sad that didn't work at the fall tag cavein to win the entire vert gear setup. It was guess how many little cylinder thingies were in a jar. I counted down the side and across the bottom a few times and averaged the numbers I got (since, cylinders aren't going to pack in the jar the same) and then used the formula to determine how many were in there. I was off by a couple hundred. If I hadn't averaged, if I'd have gone with my highest counts for both, I would have had it (or been really close, I don't know what number won it). That was a bummer.
self-deleted_user
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby jharman2 » Apr 12, 2011 9:41 am

Thanks for the interest in the packs! The 5L personal is, as NZ said, handy for compartmentalizing things inside a larger pack. I use it to carry extra gloves, pantin, wrench, bolts, hangers ect ect. It also works well as a side pack while surveying or when you want to drop your main pack and explore. Because it is not a primary caving pack, it is made of lighter weight PVC.

Sungura wrote:Yes, exactly, shape issue. Volume is great but if in reality due to shapes of things going in it's not the right shape, not much help for me.

I can attest that you won't have any problem fitting "normal" caving gear into the 21-42L packs. I've been using the 28L pack for 4 day camp trips. I find that I can fit everything including my vertical kit if I pack judiciously. Of course, this doesn't count sleeping bags and pads that are all ready in the cave.

kevinm wrote:So...what happened to the cave suit photos you mentioned in December? :doh:

I have decided not to carry the cave suits at this time. If you'd like more info on the suits please send me a PM and I will give you details.
John Harman (Pantin apologist)
http://www.wvunderground.net/
jharman2
Prolific Poster

Name: John Harman
NSS #: 58082
Primary Grotto Affiliation: WVUSG

Previous

Return to Speleo-Marketplace