Lint Removal

Cave conservation issues, techniques, questions. Also visit the NSS Cave Conservation and Management Section.

Moderator: Moderators

Lint Removal

Postby wendy » Feb 6, 2006 3:10 pm

Does anyone know of any upcoming lint removal projects? I am looking for a trip somewhere and would like to learn about lint removal.
wendy
Global Moderator

Name: Wendy
NSS #: 53923
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Flint River Grotto

Postby NZcaver » Feb 6, 2006 9:56 pm

Shop-vac, dustpan and brush, and a good dust mask! :big grin:

That's my recollection of lint removal from a southern Arizona cave last year. This was a little show cave, so having the shop-vac available was a good bonus - even with the hassle of running all the extension cords. And talk about working in a haze of fine dust/dirt!

I don't know about current projects, but maybe the NSS Conservation Co-chairs could point you in the right direction?
NZcaver
Global Moderator

Name: Jansen
NSS #: 50665RL

2006 Black Hills Restoration Camp

Postby ReneOhms » Feb 7, 2006 12:18 pm

Wendy,

The Black Hills Cave Restoration Camp is being held May 8-12, 2006. Here's the announcement. Note that the deadline to sign up is April 14th. Hope you can make it!

Rene Ohms
Physical Science Technician
Jewel Cave National Monument

2006 Black Hills Cave Restoration Camp

Wind Cave National Park and Jewel Cave National Monument will host the Black Hills Cave Restoration Camp May 8-12, 2006. You are invited to be one of up to 20 volunteers who will be assisting with this conservation project.

The goal of the project is to restore the cave's natural condition along the public tour routes. This year’s camp will focus on removing lint and dust accumulations at both caves.

We are soliciting help from anyone interested in resource protection and restoration. No previous experience is required. There is no registration fee, and housing will be provided. Two days will be spent working at each cave, with Wednesday as a “day offâ€
ReneOhms
Infrequent Poster

Return to Conservation Forum