Construction and cave laws.

Cave conservation issues, techniques, questions. Also visit the NSS Cave Conservation and Management Section.

Moderator: Moderators

Construction and cave laws.

Postby anthonytsi » Nov 15, 2008 3:26 pm

Where can I get information on the laws that construction companies have to abide by when they encounter a cave.
I did several searches on here but nothing came up. Thanks in advance.
Lets go caving !
SCCI # 2763
anthonytsi
Prolific Poster

Re: Construction and cave laws.

Postby Phil Winkler » Nov 15, 2008 7:20 pm

Hi, Anthony,

I doubt there are any specific laws about this. In general, encountering a cave during construction is seen as a real inconvenience usually. As word spreads interested parties might force a study to see if artifacts or endangered species mgiht be at risk, etc.

Best bet? Ask your local zoning board or county government. It starts as a local issue, normally.
Phil Winkler
13627 FE
Phil Winkler
Global Moderator

NSS #: 13627FE

Postby mgmills » Nov 15, 2008 8:30 pm

anthonytsi wrote:Where can I get information on the laws that construction companies have to abide by when they encounter a cave.
I did several searches on here but nothing came up. Thanks in advance.

I'm not a Chattanooga grotto member but know several members. I'm pretty sure that several of them are pretty active in the construction industry.

Like Phil says, I'm pretty sure the "rules" vary from city to city, county to county and state to stats.
Martha Mills
NSS 39864
mgmills
Global Moderator

Name: Martha Mills
NSS #: 39864
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Dogwood City Grotto

Postby anthonytsi » Nov 15, 2008 8:40 pm

Thanks guys.
Lets go caving !
SCCI # 2763
anthonytsi
Prolific Poster

Postby mae » Nov 17, 2008 12:20 am

Construction covering more than 1 acre require NPDES storm water construction permits. Part of getting a permit requires a SWPPP (storm water protection prevention plan), in which case the cave should have been noted before construction began and actions taken to keep storm water from getting into the cave and potentially ground water. If the cave is discovered after construction began, the SWPPP should be updated and actions taken accordingly.

If you are finding violations and would like to report it as a concerned citizen, you can contact TDEC WPC (if in TN) or Chattanooga's storm water department (if in Chattanooga). If the construction is under 1 acre, which would normally be exempt, it can still be reported if it is polluting groundwater.
mae
Frequent Poster

Return to Conservation Forum