To dig, or not to dig?

Cave conservation issues, techniques, questions. Also visit the NSS Cave Conservation and Management Section.

Moderator: Moderators

To dig, or not to dig?

Postby superc » Jun 26, 2007 1:01 pm

I live in a Karst area somewhere in VA. At the base of rocks on my land, in my forest, there are some openings, apparently made by untold centuries of water run off. I have found at least eight of them. The pictures below pretty much describe the scenes. The area in front of them seems to be just mud, in that a grounding rod is easily pounded in and hits no rocks. The shovel handle will go all the way into the opening, and it extends back further and deeper than I can see.

Clearly, there is a temptation to excavate one or two of the openings and see just what it is I own. I could just drag over the backhoe and start digging, but archaeological concerns make me pause. Is there a right way to do this? Does anyone have any web links to a good how-to webpage?

[url=http://upload9.postimage.org/5846/photo_hosting.html][img]http://upload9.postimage.org/5846/typical.jpg[/img][/url]

[url=http://upload9.postimage.org/5878/photo_hosting.html][img]http://upload9.postimage.org/5878/deep.jpg[/img][/url]
superc
Infrequent Poster

Postby superc » Jun 26, 2007 1:02 pm

Why can't I see the pictures I uploaded?
superc
Infrequent Poster

Re: To dig, or not to dig?

Postby Ralph E. Powers » Jun 26, 2007 1:18 pm

superc wrote:Image

Probably because you need to put a space in the right places... :grin:

You're right in being careful as far as archaeological concerns but you need to check the history of the area first. If it's significant then you'd want to be careful. Otherwise dig normally as you would do but keep an eye out for anything unusual in your digs. Casually taking a shovel full and chucking it over your shoulder isn't the best way... it's the quickest but not the best... especially if you're concerned about relics being buried where you're digging.
Just remember that safety is tantamount to any digging project. Watch everything, ceiling, walls, floors ... everything. You're disturbing that which was not previously disturbed and wouldn't have moved for another million years if you hadn't gone and hit it with your shovel, hammer, whatever.
Take breaks in between digs (I'm talking days here not hours), it will allow for any loose rock/dirt to fall on it's own and not on top of you (and your co-diggers).
Make sure you're attentive to slight breezes coming from the point of digging. It could be a large rock or clump of dirt that is blocking the main air-flow to more passages beyond. It happened in Lechuguilla. :grin:
Just be careful and have fun.
:grin:
Last edited by Ralph E. Powers on Jun 26, 2007 1:51 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Without the possibility of death, adventure is not possible. ~ Reinhold Messner

http://ralph.rigidtech.com/albums.php
Ralph E. Powers
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

NSS #: 37616

Postby Scott McCrea » Jun 26, 2007 1:40 pm

Can you tell us what county you are in? That will help us know what geologic features you may be close to.

First guess, just looking at the pictures, is that they are ground hog holes. Rows of holes (escape hatches) is a common construction method for whistle pigs. The dirt in front of the holes looks like tailings from the dig. But, I could be wrong.

If it is a cave, there may be some air flow at the holes, either in or out. It may be faint. In the winter, snow usually does not stick immediately around an entrance.

The best way to know for sure is to have an experienced caver take a look. The Virginia Speleological Survey (VSS) has a director assigned to each county that contains caves. Your county's VSS director will probably be very excited to take a look or at least get you in touch with a capable caver.

We should all be so lucky to have a back-hoe to check leads. But, it is a destructive way to explore. A good caver can probably tell what you have just by looking around. If they think it might be a cave, a little hand digging will probably get them in.

There isn't much of a how-to for cave digging because each dig will be different. Most cave digging knowledge is learned by watching and trial and error and then passed down amongst cavers. Find a good caver and they will happily advise you on what you have there.
Scott McCrea
SWAYGO
Scott McCrea
Global Moderator

NSS #: 40839RL
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Flittermouse Grotto

Postby superc » Jun 26, 2007 2:15 pm

Yup, that's them, thanks.

It is in northern Clarke County. North of the Skyline Caves. Most of the holes here are pretty much bare earth in front of them. I have looked during rain storms and there is a pretty good swirl of water coming off the rocks going into some of them. I haven't gone back there after a snow fall. I usually stay out of the woods then. Too messy (a little dangerous too). I interpreted the swirls of water and the lack of debris by most as hole evidence, but what do I know? You could be quite correct as I have several families of groundhogs elsewhere and have spent many an hour attempting eradication of them. [Carbon Monoxide seems to work well.] Got coyotes, foxes and rabbits too, and they also burrow.

Backhoes are cheap enough to rent for a day or two, and usually don't cost that much to buy when old and well used, if you don't mind doing a little bucket tooth or hydraulic line replacement after the purchase. Cheaper than a new Ford Explorer anyway.

I agree as to the destructive nature of digging that way and indeed the simple act of getting the backhoe to the spots would be destructive by itself (cutting trails, etc.). Since I am in an area where several armies moved back and forth during the Civil War, that too is a consideration. I will check out the link you provided, thanks.
superc
Infrequent Poster

Postby Scott McCrea » Jun 26, 2007 2:40 pm

Try contacting Chris Woodley. He is director of Highland County but lives up your way somewhere.
Scott McCrea
SWAYGO
Scott McCrea
Global Moderator

NSS #: 40839RL
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Flittermouse Grotto

Postby SofaKingCool » Jun 26, 2007 4:31 pm

I'd love to come take a look. I've always wanted to do something in Clarke County. I'll send you a private message with my email address so you can contact me directly.
Chris Woodley
SofaKingCool
Occasional Poster

Postby Komebeaux » Jun 27, 2007 6:29 am

I am in Martinsburg, just up the road. Let me know if you ever need help.
Komebeaux
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Danny Cumbo
NSS #: 58430

Return to Conservation Forum