Have you ever skipped caving to save gas?

Cave conservation issues, techniques, questions. Also visit the NSS Cave Conservation and Management Section.

Moderator: Moderators

Postby JoeyS » May 30, 2007 12:32 pm

I might cut back trips if the price goes to a point I deem too high, but not for reasons of guilt. There are plenty of people out on the lake burning up hundreds of dollars of fuel every weekend (lots of boats measure fuel efficiency in gallons per mile). Why should I feel bad for using 20 gallons for a weekend trip?

NSS #: 57719
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Nashville Grotto

Postby Jason » May 30, 2007 1:11 pm

What tallgirl said.

Carpooling weekend trips - get more done with less.
Jason
Infrequent Poster

Postby tncaveres » May 30, 2007 4:38 pm

I have three caves that I would like to hit right now but have been holding off because of tight funds.

I sure hope the gase prices drop soon. :hairpull:
Can't get enough!!
tncaveres
Frequent Poster

Postby CaveGimp » May 30, 2007 5:40 pm

Well I'm out west (Arizona) and heading up to the dig at Grand Canyon Caverns. Its a 4-5 hour drive each way in my Jeep that gets 14 mpg. I'm still going, but the cost will suck. Likely we will camp instead of get a room to save some funds.

It can be hard to burn a tank of gas to go caving, but then again running around town all weekend will burn the same amount of gas. At least with caving I have somethign to show for it. :)
CaveGimp
Frequent Poster

Name: Glenn Tooley
NSS #: 54570
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Central Arizona Grotto

Postby Anonymous_Coward » Jun 1, 2007 10:13 am

Be responsible, but don't beat yourself up. If you can afford it, go caving and leave the guilt at home.

Carpool when you can, conserve when you can, but keep things in perspective. I once heard that a B-52 burns 100,000 dollars worth of jet fuel on a single mission. That coal burning power plant next to Mammoth Cave will do more damage in one day than you will do all year. ( I guess that's one good reason to turn off all your electric lights at home and go caving for the weekend!)

Be responsible, but don't let people scare or guilt you out of living your life!
Andy Armstrong
American Carbide Council
Anonymous_Coward
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

NSS #: 45993RL FE
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Paha Sapa Grotto

Previous

Return to Conservation Forum