Need help with algae.

Cave conservation issues, techniques, questions. Also visit the NSS Cave Conservation and Management Section.

Moderator: Moderators

Postby Teresa » Jan 29, 2007 11:04 pm

Both algae and moss are aesthetic issues. I'm not sure cavers should really *want* to entirely sterilize the formations (especially if it is a wet cave), considering the geomicrobiologists have made a pretty good case that bacteria, and nanobacteria may indeed provide nucleation sites for future calcite formation. The algae, although unnatural, don't do much damage to the formations, the way moss can. And, one has to take into account what lives in the cave. I've been in one show cave (I will not name) where the salamander population is artificially high, because of the gnats and other tiny insects which live in the moss. Pink salamanders basking under tiny suns in green moss--what a photo op!! While on a strict basis, the salamander population should be smaller, on the other hand, they could be seen as a tourist attraction, allowing non-cavers to see some critters they otherwise wouldn't.

I guess it just depends what the cave management is up to.
Teresa
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby fuzzy-hair-man » Jan 29, 2007 11:10 pm

SpelunkerBoB wrote:As I mentioned earlier in this thread, I have used a small hand-held steamer to clean off moss (in small areas). We have plans to experiment with a larger industrial sized steamer, but just haven't gotten to it yet.The small steamer works pretty well, but doesn't permanently eradicate the moss, so it's an on-going issue.

:oops: You did too, :oops: my mistake the threads getting longer so I forget what was said at the start.
fuzzy-hair-man
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Primary Grotto Affiliation: NUCC

Postby BrianC » Jan 29, 2007 11:14 pm

SB's Right on! Then Just work on the lighting issue and you're set!
BrianC
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Previous

Return to Conservation Forum