Cave Formation on Sale on EBay

Cave conservation issues, techniques, questions. Also visit the NSS Cave Conservation and Management Section.

Moderator: Moderators

Postby NoRegrets » Dec 17, 2007 5:32 am

:doh: BOO!!! All caves should be protected!!!
Mike
NoRegrets
Frequent Poster

Name: Mike
NSS #: 61142

Postby ArCaver » Dec 17, 2007 8:00 am

Be grateful the feds only protect caves they think are "significant". They have a tendency to close those caves and cavers never see them again.
ArCaver
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby Cheryl Jones » Dec 17, 2007 2:24 pm

I thought that most if not all caves were government protected in some way. Is this not the case?

Those on federal property are protected under the Federal Cave Protection Act http://www2.nature.nps.gov/geology/cave ... _fcrpa.htm

Others are protected by whatever state laws exist.
http://www.caves.org/committee/conserva ... index.html Click on "Cave Laws and Policies" in the sidebar TOC.

Cheryl
Cheryl Jones
Global Moderator

Name: Cheryl Jones
NSS #: 14479 FE OS
Primary Grotto Affiliation: BATS

Postby NoRegrets » Dec 18, 2007 6:50 am

Thanks for the info!
Mike
NoRegrets
Frequent Poster

Name: Mike
NSS #: 61142

Re: Cave Formation on Sale on EBay

Postby sundame » Nov 20, 2012 3:12 am

The laws on the sale of speleothems seems to me to be based entirely on a state to state basis for sale of privately owned or mine speleothems. At least when I looked up sale of speleothems for VA the wording sounded like it was state by state basis.

I know most people will look down on me for saying this but there is a creek called Cedar Creek and there are lots of very small rock shelters on the sides that have lots of cave formations and giant stones in the river that actually look like the once were in a cave (don't try to look up photos cause there are none online). Anyways so we go canoeing on this river and of course since it is a river it floods and a lot of the speleothems have actually fallen and I have taken a few. I realize this amoral at best but honestly these were really shallow overhangs and I would never ever ever ever ever take a speleothem that was still attached to the cave formation because I know how long they take to form and in situ they are so wonderfully amazing.

Just wanted to get some of the guilt over taking it off of my chest.
sundame
Infrequent Poster

Previous

Return to Conservation Forum