First Nations raise alarm over damage to area's significant

Cave conservation issues, techniques, questions. Also visit the NSS Cave Conservation and Management Section.

Moderator: Moderators

First Nations raise alarm over damage to area's significant

Postby Wayne Harrison » Jun 2, 2006 7:12 am

There is a strong potential that culturally significant First Nations sites exist on the side of Skirt Mountain, says Grant Keddie, curator of archaeology at the Royal British Columbia Museum.

Keddie, a 34-year veteran at RBCM, has a particular interest in the Songhees First Nation and authored the 2003 book Songhees Pictorial. He's personally explored Skirt Mountain, which rises above the one recorded archaeologically significant site - an inland shell midden - on Florence Lake, in Langford.

"That's definitely an important site. We know people were using Florence Lake," Keddie said.

On the slopes directly above that site, Keddie has observed a number of rock shelters. Given the existence of the one recorded midden, Keddie says there's a "strong potential" those shelters may have been used by First Nations, and are near other burial sites or middens.

But without an archaeological assessment, it's difficult to know for sure, so for now, "it's simply potential," Keddie said.

While local First Nations allege cultural sites are in jeopardy due to encroaching development from Bear Mountain Resort, Keddie says without a survey, it's difficult to know if potential sites are anything more than potential, or if they're even on Bear Mountain property.

"There's all these unknowns and people just need to get in there and find out what's known."

Bear Mountain CEO Len Barrie is adamant there is nothing anywhere on his sprawling 1,300-acre development that should cause concern among local First Nations.

If there is anything, it's more likely on the neighbouring four properties lower on the mountain, he said.

Langford Mayor Stew Young stepped into the dispute last week, asking that an archaeological assessment of the road corridor off Bear Mountain to Spencer Road be completed within 30 days.

While Barrie says that survey was already in the works, Young said once that's complete, the interested parties will be dealing with facts.

"If there's any issues ... we'll resolve them," Young said, adding the assessment results will go to the Songhees Band first.

If anything of archaeological significance is discovered, Young said he'll mediate what course of action needs to be taken.

"I'm not opposed to preserving any archaeological sites," Young said Monday.

In a press conference at the resort Thursday, Barrie said his own workers have covered virtually every inch of the site during the past five years of construction, adding that he's personally covered much of the site while planning the golf course. Prior to that, the property was mined, logged twice and burned, he said.

<snip>

The First Nations have made reference to a number of caves on the mountain slopes, with one in particular housing a large, underground lake or pond.

Keddie said he's seen pictures of the cave, but added that any concerns would most likely be environmental.

Young, a lifelong Langford resident, said he's aware of caves on Skirt Mountain, noting that he explored a number of them as a kid. He said he believes most are a result of mining activity.

Full Story
http://www.goldstreamgazette.com/portal ... 8333&more=
Last edited by Wayne Harrison on Jun 4, 2006 8:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Wayne Harrison
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

NSS #: 18689 FE
Primary Grotto Affiliation: unaffiliated

Postby Amemeba » Jun 2, 2006 12:45 pm

No offense, but what the hell is a First Nations?
And why does not the possessive form of the term carry an apostrophe?

Are these prissy folks referring to the Indian tribes that ran off the original Indians and built scattered dinky villages on the once pristine lands?

Cute words suck.
Amemeba
Frequent Poster

Postby hewhocaves » Jun 2, 2006 2:11 pm

Amemeba wrote:No offense, but what the hell is a First Nations?

this the hell is a 'first nations'
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/First_nations

because it is plural, not possessive.

Are these prissy folks referring to the Indian tribes that ran off the original Indians and built scattered dinky villages on the once pristine lands?

You appear to be using a very primitive form of neanderthal-speak there. But if I understand you correctly, the answer is yes and no, depending on the "prissy folk" and the "pristine lands". In either case, they're a heckuva lot more respectful than you. So take the potty mouth farther down the forum if you want to go off on how those (expletive deleted) NAs had the nerve to get in the way of us exterminating them.

Cute words suck.

they feel the same way about you.
hewhocaves
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: John Tudek
NSS #: 36021
Primary Grotto Affiliation: MonGrotto

Postby Mike Cato » Jun 2, 2006 2:32 pm

hewhocaves wrote:
Amemeba wrote:No offense, but what the hell is a First Nations?

this the hell is a 'first nations'
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/First_nations

because it is plural, not possessive.

You appear to be using a very primitive form of neanderthal-speak there. But if I understand you correctly, the answer is yes and no, depending on the "prissy folk" and the "pristine lands". In either case, they're a heckuva lot more respectful than you. So take the potty mouth farther down the forum if you want to go off on how those (expletive deleted) NAs had the nerve to get in the way of us exterminating them.

Cute words suck.

they feel the same way about you.

Well done, John. Squish that bug!
Mike Cato
Mike Cato
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

NSS #: 51489
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Huntsville SCCi

Postby jonsdigs » Jun 4, 2006 8:05 am

I was just talking to my sister-in-law and used the PC reference "Native American." She is Chippewa of the Bad River Band and stated that she never heard an Indian use any other reference than "Indian" to another tribe member unless they were speaking Objibwe. Indian is a perfectly acceptable, neutral connotation, general American English reference to all my Indian friends. The term in the article is a Canadian usage and I doubt if their Objibwe speakers use it either. It was new to me.

Jon
jonsdigs
Frequent Poster

Postby Tubo Longo » Jun 4, 2006 6:21 pm

jonsdigs wrote:The term in the article is a Canadian usage and I doubt if their Objibwe speakers use it either. It was new to me. Jon

I have heard/read of First Nations in the Puget Sound area of WA state, mainly with reference to Native living on the coast than not into the mainland. Don't know if is only a Canadian term or if is used to designate Natives of the coastal area of the Pacific NW
Tubo Longo
Prolific Poster

Name: Renato
NSS #: ex 29271
Primary Grotto Affiliation: CGEB SAG CAI of Trieste [Italy]

Postby hewhocaves » Jun 4, 2006 11:23 pm

First Nation appears to be a Canadian equivalent to the term Native American. Apparanltly, it's biggest usage is in legal and government documents. Governments, of course, can't use the same language that we do - they have to be careful of the many ethnic and special interest groups that they represent.

There is also some value in a group being able to determine for itself the name people call it. Names attached to groups by other groups often have pejorative meanings (intentionally or not) that accrue over time. Thus, for African-Americans we have gone from ni--er to negro to colored to black to Afro-american to african american with a whole bunch of side tracks (people of color, etc...) NAs have gone through a similar metamorphosis: savage to red man to indian to NA (I may have missed one or two there).

Of course, most people still use the term 'black' and 'indian' and it seems to cause little harm.
hewhocaves
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: John Tudek
NSS #: 36021
Primary Grotto Affiliation: MonGrotto

Postby Sean Ryan » Jun 5, 2006 2:56 pm

I use the term Native American whenever it's not clear if I'm referring to the Indians that were always here or the Indians that came from India.
Sean Ryan
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby JD » Jun 5, 2006 3:48 pm

Of course Native American is also a government invented term, from about 1970. Most of the Native Americans I've met call themselves Indians.

If Canada's indigenious people want to call themselves First Nations they have that right. Naming is a form of power and control in some ways. I think some also prefer First Nations because it would include Inuits and Aleuts as well as "Indians." As you know the ancestors of Inuit came later, by boat, not overland through Beringia, as opposed to, say, Athabascan speaking peoples.

The only problem I see with First Nations is that it might be confusing in the sense that these were not modern "nation-states," a relatively recent form of political organization. It may also suggest static as opposed to dynamic societies. When you reach back into history though the term First Nations becomes problematic.

As long as they keep an eye on the caves...
JD
Frequent Poster

Return to Conservation Forum