Waitomo wishing well feels poorly

Cave conservation issues, techniques, questions. Also visit the NSS Cave Conservation and Management Section.

Moderator: Moderators

Postby Wayne Harrison » May 23, 2006 4:54 pm

Wednesday May 24, 2006

A naturally formed pool in New Zealand's Waitomo Glow-worm Caves which tourists have been using as a wishing well for over 60 years has been cleaned out after scientists found the coins were impacting on the caves ecosystem.

A Groundwater Ecosystems programme by the National Institute of Water and Atmospheric Research (Niwa) found "extremely high levels" of copper and nickel in Aranui Cave, one of the three main tourist caves around Waitomo.

Despite staff removing as many coins as possible over the years to discourage tourists from adding more coins to the water, the levels of metals were found to be "highly toxic to aquatic life".

Niwa freshwater ecologist Mike Scarsbrook said contaminated sediments had been removed and it was hoped that over time the metals levels would drop.

While staff had not encouraged tourists to add money, it took only one tourist to add a coin for others to follow, he said.

"The work we were doing was aimed at wanting to show that what people were doing was having a potentially adverse impact."

Niwa had worked with the Department of Conservation (DOC) and cave management to clean up the pool and remove the sediments.

The biodiversity values of the pools were being examined through the research, Mr Scarsbrook said.

"We know these pools are habitats for various endemic or native species such as snails and shrimps.

"Those animals would be highly sensitive to heavy metals, as most aquatic organisms are.

"Our concerns were if the metals were left in the pool then that pool becomes a habitat that isn't attractive to aquatic life."

The physical features of the cave would not have been affected but the biological features of the cave potentially could have been, he said.

One of the reasons for the research was that very little was known about the biological features of cave systems, he said.

Waitomo caves manager Robert Tahi said about $20 to $30 of coins, weighing in at 1.7kg - some dating back to the 1940s - were now in DOC's possession.

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/section/story ... D=10383257
Wayne Harrison
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

NSS #: 18689 FE
Primary Grotto Affiliation: unaffiliated

Postby wendy » May 24, 2006 1:35 am

Easiest way to keep tourist from dropping coins is making them empty their pockets of change before entering the cave.
wendy
Global Moderator

Name: Wendy
NSS #: 53923
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Flint River Grotto

Postby Buford Pruitt » May 24, 2006 5:24 pm

Finally, some good info on heavy metals leaching into cave waters.

Not so long ago a group of cave divers explored some underwater passages in Climax Cave in SE Georgia. They needed lots of lead to submerge. (I'm not sure why, as I never had to use lead to submerge in freshwater caves). Lugging the lead in and out of the cave was a real drag; in fact, it was a real horror story of a death march.

Later, on the Florida Cavers Yahoo Group, some of them discussed leaving the lead weights in the cave after their next dive. I brought up the motto of "leaving nothing behind," and pointing out that lead in caves is really not a good idea as it is quite harmful to aquatic invertebrate life. I was mildly rebuked for my post and it was demanded that I proffer scientific literature proving my case. Imagine!

I am definitely going to post the nickel and copper story on that board. Thanks Wayne.
Buford Pruitt
Frequent Poster

Return to Conservation Forum