New Cave Conservation discussion board

Cave conservation issues, techniques, questions. Also visit the NSS Cave Conservation and Management Section.

Moderator: Moderators

New Cave Conservation discussion board

Postby Jep » May 15, 2006 8:55 pm

Okay folks. Tired of wading through topics of little interest to get to conservation issues? A new discussion board specifically for cave conservancies and conservation issues has been launched in conjunction with the Second National Cave and Karst Conservancies Forum. Check out http://caveconservation.org.

Please feel free to distribute this link to caving list servers.

Jep.
Jep
Prolific Poster

Postby RT » May 16, 2006 9:17 am

http://caveconservation.org

A very silent forum :whistle:
RT
Infrequent Poster

Postby Teresa » May 16, 2006 9:34 am

Thanks Jep.

I presented the same idea to the CCMS last year, and even set up a blog style list for that purpose as a demonstration, and was voted down in favor of using this DB for such notifications, issues, etc. Obviously many of the conservation minded people of the NSS never got 'the message' to use this DB as their communication method--probably because of the signal to noise ratio around here. I hope this one flies. We've not had a good communication method since Rob Stitt's CCMS webpage.
Teresa
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Just launched

Postby Jep » May 16, 2006 10:31 am

Thanks RT. I realize that this new board isn't heavily used. That's because yesterday was the launch date for the board. I hope to see everyone's ideas and comments soon.

Teresa. The NSS needs to also realize that not every cave and karst conservancy is a member of the NSS. For example, Bubble Cave LLC is a limited liability corporation that was set up to save caves through ownership. It is not affilated with the NSS but instead supports the NSS through various fund raising methods. This new board was set up by individuals as another method to exchange ideas.

Save the caves. Jep.
Jep
Prolific Poster

Postby Teresa » May 16, 2006 10:48 am

Which was exactly my point. They need to get off the dime, or they're going to be like the wolf whose sheep left without him. Our local conservancy isn't NSS affiliated, because saying you are with the NSS is a deal-killer around here. Many members are NSS, but we see the advantage in being independent, as I am sure Bubble Cave does.

I've got your site bookmarked.
Teresa
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Return to Conservation Forum