The SCCi buys Stephens Gap

Cave conservation issues, techniques, questions. Also visit the NSS Cave Conservation and Management Section.

Moderator: Moderators

The SCCi buys Stephens Gap

Postby Pippin » Dec 14, 2014 2:56 pm

The Southeastern Cave Conservancy, Inc. (SCCi) is excited to announce that we just bought Stephens Gap in Jackson County, AL! This cave is a favorite destination for cavers, hikers, and photographers and we're really thrilled that this cave will now be protected for future generations. We'll soon announce how you can contribute to this project. Thank you to all of the cavers who support the SCCi, you're the reason we were able to buy this amazing cave! The name of the new preserve is the Stephens Gap Callahan Cave Preserve.

http://www.scci.org/the-scci-buys-stephens-gap/
Pippin
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

NSS #: 22545

Re: The SCCi buys Stephens Gap

Postby graveleye » Dec 15, 2014 8:39 am

This is the one I have been waiting for! I love that cave and the whole area there.
ad astra per aspera

http://www.myspace.com/jamthecontrols

The views expressed in this post are not necessarily those of any organization I am affiliated with.

Become a sustaining member of the SCCI
graveleye
Global Moderator

Name: Kevin Glenn
NSS #: 57238RL

Postby hank moon » Dec 16, 2014 9:09 pm

Fantastic news!

hank
hank moon
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby DawgsgoCaving » Dec 17, 2014 5:59 pm

Truly a landmark acquisition. I went to the preserve Sunday with several members and people on the board. We had fun bouncing the pit and exploring some of the other entrances. It's great we can visit that place regardless of hunting season.

Just one thing: MAKE SURE TO GET A PERMIT if you go! Contact the preserve manager for information. This is not a lengthy process at all. It is necessary for maintaining an area with such a high visitation level. Other than that, enjoy it! The SCCi just gave all of us another reason to be proud members of the conservancy.
DawgsgoCaving
Prolific Poster

Name: Josh Schultz
NSS #: 65630RE
Primary Grotto Affiliation: CTG SCCi 3501

Postby graveleye » Dec 18, 2014 8:42 am

Any idea who the preserve manager is going to be?
ad astra per aspera

The views expressed in this post are not necessarily those of any organization I am affiliated with.

graveleye
Global Moderator

Postby DawgsgoCaving » Dec 18, 2014 1:46 pm

Aaron, I think. Milton was honored at the Christmas party having had taken upon himself to manage the cave for the last 20 years. I believe the new Stewardship Chair is working with Aaron on getting issues like parking squared away now, but I'm not certain.
DawgsgoCaving
Prolific Poster

Postby graveleye » Dec 18, 2014 2:01 pm

We've always just parked along the road. It would be nice to have a little more space.
ad astra per aspera

graveleye
Global Moderator

Postby DawgsgoCaving » Dec 18, 2014 2:54 pm

Yeah, right now I think it could hold several car, but more space would be good, especially for the sake of nearby landowners.
DawgsgoCaving
Prolific Poster

Postby BryantG » Dec 19, 2014 10:25 am

I am truly excited to hear of the SCCi purchasing Stephens Gap. It is one of the most iconic caves in the southern United States and to have it owned by cavers is truly a blessing. The conservation that the SCCi has applied to their other preserves while still providing for recreational purposes, research, etc is to be applauded. I'm sure Stephens Gap will be no different. The folks who are behind this acquisition should be revered for their hard work.

This truly makes me proud to call myself a member of the SCCi.

Bryant
BryantG
Infrequent Poster

Return to Conservation Forum