Smokers in a cave

Cave conservation issues, techniques, questions. Also visit the NSS Cave Conservation and Management Section.

Moderator: Moderators

Postby graveleye » Oct 20, 2006 8:16 am

I dont see how anyone would enjoy being stoned in a cave but thats just me. I sure wouldnt enjoy it. I would either freak out, or become so lethargic I would have to fall asleep somewhere.

That being said, if I have a choice, I would much rather be in a cave with a stoner, than someone who's been drinking. To me, the joy and accomplishment of completing a cave trip would make the beer taste better afterwards.

About smoking, I guess if everyone else in the party was smoking I would, but its not a problem for me to go hours and hours without it.

Intoxicants... well, if you cant wait til you get back to camp to drink or get high, then you may have a problem.
ad astra per aspera

http://www.myspace.com/jamthecontrols

The views expressed in this post are not necessarily those of any organization I am affiliated with.

Become a sustaining member of the SCCI
graveleye
Global Moderator

Name: Kevin Glenn
NSS #: 57238RL

Postby Dane » Oct 25, 2006 5:57 pm

As you know, I am new to caving, but not to LIFE!
I went to the TAG cave-in, and enjoyed meeting and socializing with folks I had only met on-line.
To your point, when we cave, we cave hard. When we socialize, we socailize with the same abandon.
While the two don't go together, I certainly enjoy the company of cavers when doing either.
Dane
"Happiness comes of the capacity to feel deeply, to enjoy simply, to think freely, to risk life, to be needed."
http://www.myspace.com/daneinchattanooga
Dane
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Dane
NSS #: 57919
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Chattanooga

Postby MUD » Oct 25, 2006 7:15 pm

To your point, when we cave, we cave hard. When we socialize, we socailize with the same abandon.

:exactly:
MUD
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Primary Grotto Affiliation: None

Postby NZcaver » Oct 27, 2006 3:29 am

Cavemud wrote:To your point, when we cave, we cave hard. When we socialize, we socailize with the same abandon.

:exactly:

Certainly both common traits amongst cavers. :big grin:

However there's a subtle difference between socializing with abandon, and caving with abandon. Perhaps some substances are best left outside the cave...
NZcaver
Global Moderator

Name: Jansen
NSS #: 50665RL

Postby MUD » Oct 27, 2006 7:35 am

Actually, Dane wrote that....I was just agreeing! While I'm a hard core caver, I do it safely! That means...NO SMOKING in the cave! Afterwards...that's another tale! :flammable:
MUD
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby Dane » Oct 29, 2006 11:14 am

Thanks Cavemud. My point is that there is nothing wrong wth socializing hard or caving hard - just not at the same time. And the cavers I have met are great people to do both with - but not at the same time.
What I failed to mention is that I am a smoker - 2 packs/day for 30 years. Not proud of it and wish it wasn't true, but there it is.
Having said that, I have never taken my cigarettes in a cave with me.
I'm certainly not going to haul in a keg or a kilo!
You may not want to park or change next to me, because I wil light one up then, but not when I am "almost out" or standing over the entrance.
I am new, but I take the NSS motto and guidelines very seriously - so I don't smoke to minimize my impact and I don't do anything else that would jeopardize my own safety or the safey of my fellow cavers.
Seems pretty simple.
Dane
"Happiness comes of the capacity to feel deeply, to enjoy simply, to think freely, to risk life, to be needed."
http://www.myspace.com/daneinchattanooga
Dane
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Dane
NSS #: 57919
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Chattanooga

Camp fire in the cave

Postby hardcorecaver » Nov 8, 2006 4:09 pm

i FOUND A FIRE REMAINS IN A CAVE. it WAS BAD AND THE PEOPLE SPRAY PAINT THE CAVE. around CARLSBAD NM. I cleaned it up for my eagle project. But what i was getting at was the cave smelled like smoke for a week afther it happend. aslo the fire was by the entrance.
Life good when you carbide caving.
hardcorecaver
Occasional Poster

Name: Lucas Middleton
NSS #: 56420
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Pecos Valley Grotto

Postby kvgrits » Nov 21, 2006 1:40 pm

I am a smoker and I have never smoked in a cave. I don't agree with smoking in the caves. What about the bats & all the other things in caves??
kvgrits
Infrequent Poster

Postby MUD » Nov 21, 2006 4:16 pm

I don't think bats smoke in the caves either! :laughing:
MUD
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Re: Smokers in a cave

Postby GroundquestMSA » May 19, 2012 5:52 pm

I read this old thread just a few days ago, and had to deal with the issue in a minor way today.
I dug open a little sink and found an 8' vertical slot. Since I was alone I decided not to jump in right away. I told the landowner what was up and he wanted to check it out with me. He brought a handline and I went in first, finding only a 8' x 15' passage, plugged with mud at one end and way too tight at the other. The owner wanted to have a look so he came down and squatted in the entrance, cursing in amazement and smoking two cigarettes. After recovered from his initial surprise, he became very excited over the prospect of growing weed down there, or hiding stuff, or hiding from the cops :roll: .

Of course there wasn't anything down there he could harm, except me. The smoke filled that little hole up entirely and I couldn't get past the guy to breathe. It's pretty amazing how much a little smoke can effect people who are never around it. I'm miserable still, and that was a few hours ago.
GroundquestMSA
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby SuckinOnSodaStraws » May 19, 2012 8:01 pm

GroundquestMSA wrote:I read this old thread just a few days ago, and had to deal with the issue in a minor way today.
I dug open a little sink and found an 8' vertical slot. Since I was alone I decided not to jump in right away. I told the landowner what was up and he wanted to check it out with me. He brought a handline and I went in first, finding only a 8' x 15' passage, plugged with mud at one end and way too tight at the other. The owner wanted to have a look so he came down and squatted in the entrance, cursing in amazement and smoking two cigarettes. After recovered from his initial surprise, he became very excited over the prospect of growing weed down there, or hiding stuff, or hiding from the cops :roll: .

Of course there wasn't anything down there he could harm, except me. The smoke filled that little hole up entirely and I couldn't get past the guy to breathe. It's pretty amazing how much a little smoke can effect people who are never around it. I'm miserable still, and that was a few hours ago.

That's terrible! On one of our cave trips, someone had just peed in a crawlway... And was obviously in a group just feet away smoking cigs. Luckily there was a bypass, and after a few very very dirty looks we proceeded. Of course they were no where to be found when we returned.

I quit about half a year back now, motivated almost entirely by hiking and caving. Boils down to: A)Respect for the cave B)Respect for the caver

If the cave is obviously active, I would not smoke. If the cave was primarily dry, I don't see too much harm. But then again, even a hardcore smoker would probably not enjoy a cloud filled cave chamber. It certainly is hard to breathe.

It's obvious if the group you are caving with are not smokers, you may offend them. I'd just be sure to get my fix around the corner before the cave.

Either way, it's gonna hurt your caving! Don't do it!
Alex Hesler
Crawlaholics
Colorado Springs Deep Caving Team
SuckinOnSodaStraws
Prolific Poster

Name: SLIM TROG [Alex Hesler]
NSS #: 64412
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Colorado Crawlaholics Anonymous

Postby Chads93GT » May 19, 2012 10:11 pm

Dry caves have life too. Why should the presence of moisture dictate your smoking habit underground.
Chads93GT
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby Jon » May 20, 2012 2:05 am

As an ex smoker I am not one of those "I'm allergic" (read that I just don't like) people. I find smoke in a confined area tempting. I carry around what is often called "Chick dip" those cute little tea bag like pouches. The drool is swallowable (think time released nicotine) and the little do-hicky is pocketable. The answer is CARBIDE. Take a hip flask half filled with carbide in the cave. If you encounter a smoker simply pour some water in the flask and then offer him or her a swig. Seriously, smoking in a cave is about as inconsiderate as going to a chile cook off before leading a trip in a LONG crawlway. Nicotine is a hard habit to kick, but there is "chick dip" (so named because you can kiss your girlfriend without giving her flavor bits....not some sexist reason), there are also patches you can use, in this day and age there is no excuse to light up in a cave unless you own a super primo cave and everybody who begs a trip knows you are an inconsiderate boob.
Jon
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

NSS #: 60164
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Cochise County Cavers

Postby SuckinOnSodaStraws » May 21, 2012 7:58 am

Chads93GT wrote:Dry caves have life too. Why should the presence of moisture dictate your smoking habit underground.

It def should not! I don't condone smoking. I don't smoke. And I'm no professor of geology, so I actually thought of dry caves to be dead/decomposing. Not that it means it's a better place to be neglected either!! Good point though, I mean just smoke outside jeeez...

Sometimes I'm having so much fun with caving I begin neglecting food and water intake. But I suppose if you will be underground a long time and know you'll be craving a ciggarette, bring some nicorette gum. A patch. Both. There is even "spitless" tobacco pouches that can be discarded into your cave pack to be brought out later.
But I don't smoke anymore :grin: Haven't in months, never goin' back to it. So plz don't paint me with that brush, ya know? :laughing:
Alex Hesler
Crawlaholics
Colorado Springs Deep Caving Team
SuckinOnSodaStraws
Prolific Poster

Name: SLIM TROG [Alex Hesler]
NSS #: 64412
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Colorado Crawlaholics Anonymous

Postby Mudduck » May 21, 2012 6:39 pm

My first smoker in cave experience was at Tumbling Rock in suicide crawl while coming back out from climbing Mt Olympus. It was in the first little"room"/ junction u come to after entering suicide crawl. There were two guys in there puffing away. Just seemed to me like something that could've waited. Stunk up the whole crawl. :down:
I think I can...I think I can...I think I can
Mudduck
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Bill Reed
NSS #: 60046
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Currently a Lone caver

PreviousNext

Return to Conservation Forum