Smokers in a cave

Cave conservation issues, techniques, questions. Also visit the NSS Cave Conservation and Management Section.

Moderator: Moderators

Postby CKB69 » May 9, 2006 9:16 pm

I have fought this damn addiction for years.
I even tried the nicotine gum.
Started back smoking and I am up to 2 packs a day :hairpull: .
Back in my formative caving years,it was just a minor annoyance to most,but has become almost as bad as spraypainting,or,taking formations.
I remember many occasions where the group rested after a near-sump,and the most popular person was the one with a carbide and semi-dry cigarettes. :tonguecheek:

I no longer smoke in caves,but,the entrance area may be a bit hazy..
Slide. Slide on the ice...
CKB69
Frequent Poster

Postby Cheryl Jones » May 9, 2006 11:12 pm

Within the context of cave conservation, how does smoking in a cave differ from leaving litter or graffiti? Or peeing in a passage? Or building a fire at the entrance of a cave? And other such deliberate activities that upset our sense of cave conservation.

And given the toxic fumes from a cigarette (or whatever is being smoked) should't we prefer the cavers simply wrote their name on the wall or dropped a piece of paper? At least the next caver in could pick up the litter, but s/he can't clean the air.

Just something to think about. :question:

Cheryl
Cheryl Jones
Global Moderator

Name: Cheryl Jones
NSS #: 14479 FE OS
Primary Grotto Affiliation: BATS

Postby Evan G » May 10, 2006 12:16 am

And given the toxic fumes from a cigarette (or whatever is being smoked) should't we prefer the cavers simply wrote their name on the wall or dropped a piece of paper? At least the next caver in could pick up the litter, but s/he can't clean the air.

Hmmm, No! I know it is just something to think about. Just thinking the amount of fumes (which are not toxic to the cave because it is not alive, I think they have been through worst) are small in comparson to an aerosal can (aka. wrote their name with what). The sad thing about caving is that we are the intruders and just breathing affects the environment (CO2 + orgainics). Smoking in a cave, I feel is just all round not a good idea ... in a cave or not.

I quit smoking not because I wanted too but because I want to grow old. I love life and want to experience it to the fullest. I saw how it affected my friendships, relationships and also my daily life. I was surprised by the daily habit on how much it took out of my life. So one day I said no more and thru it out of my life and mind. Anytime I had an urge, I worked out or consired it my enemy. I wanted it out of my body. Well, I should stop rambling. Good luck to all with the habit. But remember this: a chemical has more control on your body than your mind does. I think that piss me off the most.
Evan G
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: EEG
NSS #: 28685
Primary Grotto Affiliation: NRMG

Postby Wayne Harrison » May 10, 2006 8:40 am

CKB69 wrote:I no longer smoke in caves,but,the entrance area may be a bit hazy..

I ran into this problem with a smoker once. He was in a hurry to get out of the cave and we trucked for the entrance (probably regular speed for him but "trucking" for me). I thought he was getting claustrophobic. He was up and out of the final climb to the entrance while I was still negotiating the gate.

As I walked toward the entrance (still in the cave) I detected the heavy smell of cigarette smoke, which ruined the boost I get when I first smell the green earth after hours in a cave.

It turns out, he was near the cave entrance but the cave was blowing in... sucking all the cigarette smoke into the cave. I had never run into that problem before. I suppose nicotine gum could help in that type of situation.
Wayne Harrison
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

NSS #: 18689 FE
Primary Grotto Affiliation: unaffiliated

Postby chh » May 10, 2006 9:25 am

I smoke, but not in caves. Smoking in caves really bothers me actually. I'm an electric caver as well. We already do enough just being there surveying, or just enjoying the cave. Why increase the impact? I've been on overnight trips in caves too. Didn't smoke then either. I don't buy the "I can't wait" excuse. If I see people smoking in a cave, I tell them they shouldn't, and I feel very strongly about it.
Caves are definitely a "no smoking" area. If you were in the no smoking section of a nice restaurant, would you light up anyway? No. You would either be respecting the ettiquite of the place, or you would not want to deal with the other patrons being angry at you. I'm the first to give a smoker a tongue lashing for smoking in a cave, and usually the first (and often only) person to light up once we're back at the car getting out of our gear......
Your words of caution are no match for my disaster style!
chh
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: caleb
NSS #: 55745

Postby itabot » May 10, 2006 6:55 pm

Wayne Harrison wrote:I ran into this problem with a smoker once.

Oh I knew it was comming! Piss off, Wayne!
Last edited by itabot on May 10, 2006 7:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
itabot
Frequent Poster

Postby Wayne Harrison » May 10, 2006 7:29 pm

:off topic:

The topic is smokers/smoking in caves. Feel free to post your thoughts about this subject.
Wayne Harrison
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

NSS #: 18689 FE
Primary Grotto Affiliation: unaffiliated

Postby mgmills » May 10, 2006 8:13 pm

I think the "impact" of smoke on the cave probably varies from cave to cave and region to region. I do think consideration of ones caving group is important.

A number of years ago I was caving with a group of about 12 poeople. We were in a cave that had an approximately 20 tall chimney to climb. The chute was rather wide in places and my 5'4" height left me pretty "stretched out" while climbing. When I was about half way up in a wide spot I learned why they call it a "chimney climb". Someone at the bottom of the chute lit up a cigarette and the chimney was "drawing" the smoke which caused me to start coughing. Have you ever had a "coughing fit" while doing an exposed chimney climb? It isn't fun; I really thought I was about to fall. Fortunately someone else realized what was happening and had the smoker put out the cigarette. The offender later apologized for lighting up.
Martha Mills
NSS 39864
mgmills
Global Moderator

Name: Martha Mills
NSS #: 39864
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Dogwood City Grotto

Postby Lava tuber » May 10, 2006 10:57 pm

I smoke :devil: I know that is bad but never in a cave. I have been in caves that I wanted to smoke after some time but that is what the nic gum is for!!!! it works for caves, long plane rides to Africa - Israel - England - Canada

But I will admit very sadly, that when I went to Israel some time ago when I was younger I went to the Bell Caverns and I smoked a cig about 50 feet into the cave with the tour guide :doh: but I look back at that even though is was an awsome time in the caves being so young that is the moment I regret.. and will never do agian
Lava tuber
Occasional Poster

Postby Mike Rz » May 11, 2006 10:20 am

I don't have a problem with someone lighting up in a cave as long as I can stand up and not hit my head on the ceiling and they pack out the butts. I vaguely remember that in the "The Longest Cave" someone smoked a pipe. Whew!

'course then I don't have a problem with microblasting, caving in winter or putting my footprints in a virgin passage.

I do have a problem with duct tape. It always ends up on the floor.

I say its time for a poll. Microblasting vs. smoking
Mike
Mike Rz
Infrequent Poster

Postby graveleye » May 11, 2006 10:24 am

Mike Rz wrote:I say its time for a poll. Microblasting vs. smoking

:rofl:
ad astra per aspera

http://www.myspace.com/jamthecontrols

The views expressed in this post are not necessarily those of any organization I am affiliated with.

Become a sustaining member of the SCCI
graveleye
Global Moderator

Name: Kevin Glenn
NSS #: 57238RL

Postby kvart » May 12, 2006 6:08 am

graveleye wrote:
Mike Rz wrote:I say its time for a poll. Microblasting vs. smoking

:rofl:

Can we smoke it over first?

:beatinghorse:
kvart

NSS #: 32846

Postby NZcaver » May 12, 2006 6:01 pm

Microblasting wins every time. :kewl:
Unlike smoking, at least blasting HAS a practical purpose. :tonguecheek:

I have zero tolerance for smokers who selfishly pollute the air in caves (or cave entrances), and in eating and drinking establishments and public buildings etc. Most states finally seem to be getting tough on public smoking - great! Just to be clear, I have no problem with genuine considerate smokers lighting up only where and when their smoke doesn't cause offense to anyone else. Then they're only damaging their own health (and potentially becoming a burden on the health-care system, but that's another story...) :whistle:

I'd like to think that any cavers who smoke are considerate enough to hold off until they're well outside the cave again. It's interesting that smokers on multi-day expeditions (like Lech) are the fastest damn cavers I've ever seen when they're on their way back to the surface for their long-awaited "fix"... :laughing:
NZcaver
Global Moderator

Name: Jansen
NSS #: 50665RL

Postby Ralph E. Powers » May 13, 2006 4:13 am

NZcaver wrote:I'd like to think that any cavers who smoke are considerate enough to hold off until they're well outside the cave again. It's interesting that smokers on multi-day expeditions (like Lech) are the fastest damn cavers I've ever seen when they're on their way back to the surface for their long-awaited "fix"... :laughing:

:laughing: True, and at least we won't be holding up the rest of the group... still, be assurred that there are many of us who aren't single-mindedly trying to boogie on out of the cave quick as we can without safety in mind. Knowing that I got a smoke waiting for me is the motivation but I'll want to get there in one piece and alive (along with the rest of my cohorts). After all a rescue can take many hours and even days... how grouchy do you think I'll be then? Likewise with the knowledge that once I'm out of the cave I don't think the paramedics are going to let me light up and wait til I'm done before putting me into the ambulance.

No, I'll be quick but I'll be safe. :grin:

Besides I'm going to be quitting anyway so no worries 'bout that.
Without the possibility of death, adventure is not possible. ~ Reinhold Messner

http://ralph.rigidtech.com/albums.php
Ralph E. Powers
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

NSS #: 37616

Postby Buford Pruitt » May 24, 2006 4:58 pm

Martha said, "I am one of those weird non-smokers who associates mostly with people who do smoke (haven't figured out how that happens) ...

I know how that happens, Martha: You cave in TAG. Lotsa cig smokers in TAG. Lots. Lots. Come caving down here in Florida and you'll find just the opposite. I sympathize with smokers, though, as I smoked many years ago, and even though I smoked for only 7 years, quitting was the hardest thing I ever voluntarily did.

Funny that no one has mentioned funny smoke in caves. :tonguecheek:
Buford Pruitt
Frequent Poster

PreviousNext

Return to Conservation Forum