Volunteers needed for cave digging in Goodwin Sink

Cave conservation issues, techniques, questions. Also visit the NSS Cave Conservation and Management Section.

Moderator: Moderators

Volunteers needed for cave digging in Goodwin Sink

Postby breakdown » Jul 27, 2014 11:22 pm

Goodwin Pit Sinkhole and Cave Fall Dig - Oct. 11 and 12, 2014 in Laclede County, Missouri (near center of state). Mark your calendar. We'll continue to Improve the drainage for rainwater that enters the sink on its way to Ha Ha Tonka Spring some 11 miles away and continue opening the cave that's plugged due to illegal dumping in the sink for many years. There's the potential of a large cave system if we can unplug the drain. We've been cleaning out the trash, soil and gravel trapped by the trash in the football field-sized sink since the beginning of 2012. Thus far, more than 4 million lbs. of material has been removed, plus 1,200 tires and 2.5 tons of recyclable metal.The sink is draining better than it did before we started the project, but we need your help to continue opening the drain in the cave itself. If you'd like to help with this historic dig, email goodwinmgr@mocavesandkarst.org or mokanman@att.net. Lunch will be provided each day. Limited camping on site.
breakdown
New Poster

NSS #: 21408
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Springfield Plateau Grotto

Re: Volunteers needed for cave digging in Goodwin Sink

Postby graveleye » Jul 28, 2014 7:48 am

wow, what an awesome project. I wish I lived closer. Good luck and post some pictures and updates if you can!
ad astra per aspera

http://www.myspace.com/jamthecontrols

The views expressed in this post are not necessarily those of any organization I am affiliated with.

Become a sustaining member of the SCCI
graveleye
Global Moderator

Name: Kevin Glenn
NSS #: 57238RL

Return to Conservation Forum