Anthony's Cave Closed

Cave conservation issues, techniques, questions. Also visit the NSS Cave Conservation and Management Section.

Moderator: Moderators

Anthony's Cave Closed

Postby Shane S » Aug 30, 2013 6:33 am

Last night a friend and I wanted to find Anthony’s Cave which is/was the second largest cave in Bartow Co. As any decent caver would do we made an attempt to seek permission from the property owner. We were able to contact him and he was a real nice guy. Unfortunately last year a group of people did things different. They didn't seek permission and one of the members broke their leg in the cave. The property owner was faced with a ridiculous law suit and even though such attempt failed, the landowner lost money and time hiring lawyers and fighting pure non sense. This was the final straw for him alone with the place getting trashed and littered for years. As a result the entrance has now been filled. Despite his bad experience the land owner stated that because we were responsible cavers trying to do things right, that he would have been glad to have let us have access had it not been sealed closed.
I'm not sure what the bat population may have been in that cave but if there was one there probably isn't as of now. Unfortunately this is a sad but all too familiar story as this only serves as yet another example. It would be nice if such property owners could be reached and bat friendly gates could be placed or something more conservative could be done.
To find out more about Anthony’s cave and caves of Bartow County check out Bartow County Caves by Joel M Sneed. This reference tells a little about Anthony’s cave and is available at the NSS Bookstore / Library. :cave softly:
Shane S
Prolific Poster

Name: Shane
NSS #: 64742
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Clock Tower Grotto

Re: Anthony's Cave Closed

Postby NZcaver » Aug 30, 2013 2:00 pm

I would like to find whoever tried suing that landowner, and bury them myself. Just sayin'. :doh:
NZcaver
Global Moderator

Name: Jansen
NSS #: 50665RL

Re: Anthony's Cave Closed

Postby Shane S » Aug 30, 2013 3:55 pm

I agree. Burry them in the next closed cave. :banana:
Shane S
Prolific Poster

Name: Shane
NSS #: 64742
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Clock Tower Grotto