Timpanogos Cave Restoration Camp, Sept. 26-28

Cave conservation issues, techniques, questions. Also visit the NSS Cave Conservation and Management Section.

Moderator: Moderators

Timpanogos Cave Restoration Camp, Sept. 26-28

Postby Anonymous_Coward » Aug 27, 2013 10:21 am

Help protect a national treasure! Come join us for Timpanogos Cave Restoration Camp!

Timpanogos Cave National Monument in American Fork, Utah is holding its second annual restoration camp September 26-28, 2013.

Timpanogos Cave provides a unique sub-alpine cave experience for 70,000 visitors a year, many of whom are from the local urban area and have never entered a cave or hiked up a mountain before. Visitors are treated to a cave system in a high state of preservation and protection, and are taught about the importance of preserving cave and karst resources. On-going restoration of cave features is essential in continuing to provide a high-quality visitor experience. More than ever before, the National Park Service relies on volunteer caver help to achieve cave management goals.

Work will include cleaning lint accumulations, cleaning splashed mud from walls and formations, removing and cleaning bridge sections over cave lakes, and speleothem repair. Free camping with flush toilets and a shower will be provided. A BBQ and caving presentation will be held on Friday night, and anyone that attends all three days will receive a voucher for two regular tour tickets to be used in the 2014 season.

Contact Andy_Armstrong@nps.gov (801-692-5049) to sign up or to receive more information. Please distribute this announcement to any and all that may be interested.
Andy Armstrong
American Carbide Council
Anonymous_Coward
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

NSS #: 45993RL FE
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Paha Sapa Grotto

Re: Timpanogos Cave Restoration Camp, Sept. 26-28

Postby Carl Amundson » Aug 27, 2013 11:06 am

I wish I lived closer.
I would love to come out and check out your cave.
Carl Amundson
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Carl Amundson
NSS #: 50213
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Front Royal and Tri-State Grottos

Postby Anonymous_Coward » Aug 27, 2013 12:16 pm

You're welcome any time, Carl. Maybe on the way to the Ely, Nevada convention in 2016 if not before.

And the great thing about it is it's actually YOUR cave. I just help take care of it for you. :big grin:
Andy Armstrong
American Carbide Council
Anonymous_Coward
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

NSS #: 45993RL FE
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Paha Sapa Grotto

Postby NZcaver » Aug 27, 2013 4:42 pm

Yeah, if I were a little closer I would come play too. Maybe next time I pass through You-Tah I'll have time to take a detour.
NZcaver
Global Moderator

Name: Jansen
NSS #: 50665RL

Return to Conservation Forum