US Fish & Wildlife Paint Rock River Wildlife Refuge

Cave conservation issues, techniques, questions. Also visit the NSS Cave Conservation and Management Section.

Moderator: Moderators

Re: US Fish & Wildlife Paint Rock River Wildlife Refuge

Postby tncaver » Apr 23, 2013 12:32 pm

UnderGroundEarth wrote:
The proposed refuge is a part of Obama's America's Great Outdoors 50 State Initiative. The money to fund the AGO comes from the Land and Water Conservation Fund. The Land & Water Fund receives $900 million in royalties for oil and gas produced from federal lands. The main source of funding for this fund does come from fedral offshore oil lease revenues. The Land and Water Conservation Fund (LWCF) was created by Congress in 1965. It is a bipartisan commitment to safeguard natural areas, water resources and our cultural heritage, and to provide recreation opportunities to all Americans. National parks like Rocky Mountain, the Grand Canyon, and the Great Smoky Mountains, as well as national wildlife refuges, national forests, rivers and lakes, community parks, trails, and ball fields in every one of our 50 states were set aside for Americans to enjoy thanks to federal funds from the Land and Water Conservation Fund.

For various reasons, not all recreational activities are available at every state or federal owned parks/land. You can't go caving or off roading in the Smoky Mtns National Park either.

I bet I can go offroading, camping and caving in Australia. But like the Smokey Mountains, both destinations are a bit of a long commute for my average weekend recreation. The only thing I really object to is the lack of recreation. However, the above statement says " recreation opportunities to ALL Americans". Somehow I feel like it will NOT live up to it's promise.
tncaver
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Re: US Fish & Wildlife Paint Rock River Wildlife Refuge

Postby tncaver » Apr 24, 2013 9:16 am

The money to fund the AGO comes from the Land and Water Conservation Fund. The Land & Water Fund receives $900 million in royalties for oil and gas produced from federal lands.

Payment of those royalties raise the cost of oil and gas for all Americans. Yet ALL Americans will not be benefiting from the purchase of the Paint Rock River if recreation continues to be restricted to hunting and hiking and horseback riding.
tncaver
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Previous

Return to Conservation Forum