Pettijohn cave clean up

Cave conservation issues, techniques, questions. Also visit the NSS Cave Conservation and Management Section.

Moderator: Moderators

Pettijohn cave clean up

Postby dobbyhobby » Jun 5, 2012 1:40 pm

My name is Connor and for my Eagle Scout project I am gathering volunteers to help clean trash out of the Pettijohn cave this Saturday June 9. Will also be cleaning up the camp sites and spreading new gravel on the road. We plan on dropping into the cave around 10am. We've been asked to look for batteries specifically as they poison the water system. If there is anyone interested in joining we would love to have you along! We have many volunteers who have only been in the cave maybe once, so we could really use some experienced cavers along to get trash out of the deeper areas. We will have a sign in log at the site, so please take a moment to sign in for my record and for the Georgia Department of Natural Resources.
Thank you!
dobbyhobby
Infrequent Poster

Re: Pettijohn cave clean up

Postby dobbyhobby » Jun 5, 2012 2:53 pm

We have had a problem getting the shipment of gravel and we are going to postpone the project. I will post the date as soon as I have the materials.
Thanks
dobbyhobby
Infrequent Poster

Postby NZcaver » Jun 5, 2012 10:06 pm

Kudos for your efforts! :clap:

We were using the cave a couple of weeks ago for rescue training, and participants were asked to pick up trash and pack it out with them. But there is plenty more where that came from. Just watch out for the biohazard waste. That really sucks. :roll:

Good luck with the project.
NZcaver
Global Moderator

Name: Jansen
NSS #: 50665RL

Pettijohn cave cleanup

Postby dobbyhobby » Jul 2, 2012 12:54 pm

My name is Connor and I am organizing my Eagle Scout project for this Saturday July 7th. I am organizing groups to go into the cave and remove trash and debris from the Pettijohns cave. We are especially looking for batteries that poison the water system. We are meeting at the cave around 10 to spread gravel on the road and then dropping into the cave. If you are interested in helping please come out and help us clean this great cave!
Thanks!
dobbyhobby
Infrequent Poster

Postby BrianFrank » Jul 2, 2012 5:55 pm

I appreciate your efforts. I wish I could personally help you, but I have plans Saturday.

There is an area that is full of trash about 15 minutes from the entrance. The area I'm speaking of is going toward the Volcano Room. Those who have been in Pettijohns and traveled to the Volcano Room will know where I speak of. Spelunkers (not Cavers of course) have decided that a dead end passage is to be used as a trash area with batteries, paper, tobacco and other trash. I would say that there are at least 4 or 5 bags of trash in the passage.

If you have a good map of Pettijohns and want to call me I could probably tell you on the map where the trash is located. Just PM me and I will send you my phone #.

All TAG cavers join http://www.SCCI.org. A small price for a GREAT resource.
BrianFrank
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Brian
NSS #: 52121
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Dogwood City Grotto

Postby Yahtaa » Jul 5, 2012 3:30 pm

Pettijohns (aka portajohns) serves as such a great cave for introducing new cavers too, but the trash is such a bad problem. Love this cave to death, been so many times and cleaned that I've just had to stay away so I can still appreciate it.

Wish I could help out, but I'll be working all day. Good luck and watch out for the tons of spelunkers with tennis shoes and handheld flashlights that are "heading to the waterfall." :doh:
Derrick Mull
Triforce Underground
NSS#63556
SCCi#2965 (sustaining)
"Quench and squelch! You'll get through that hole."
Yahtaa
Occasional Poster

Name: Derrick Mull
NSS #: 63556

Postby BrianFrank » Jul 5, 2012 3:55 pm

If you get more than an hour of traveling from the entrance, trash becomes almost non-existent and there is minimal damage to formations.
All TAG cavers join http://www.SCCI.org. A small price for a GREAT resource.
BrianFrank
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Brian
NSS #: 52121

Postby bennettbike » Jul 5, 2012 10:20 pm

I'll be in ellisons sat, I'll try to stop by and grab some trash... I know a few good trash filled
Dead ends people may miss...

I still can't do the loop
Backwards... Bleh
bennettbike
Prolific Poster

NSS #: 61840RE

Postby Shane S » Jul 24, 2013 1:50 pm

Pettijohns cave is actually worth exploing and going to once you get past the first waterfall, bridge room, or volcano room. It's quite a large cave system with more possible passage to be pushed toward the back parts of it. :banana:
Shane S
Prolific Poster

Name: Shane
NSS #: 64742
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Clock Tower Grotto

Postby justinmiller » Oct 11, 2015 7:01 pm

I'm looking for some simple directions to waterfall room, if any one can guild me to it...
I'm going to try going this Friday the 16th.
I haven't done much in Pettijohn's since Ellison's is my playground :grin:
anyone willing to guild me through, I'd appreciate it.
Justin Miller
NSS# 57721
SCCI# 3785 (sustaining)
justinmiller
Occasional Poster

NSS #: 57721

Return to Conservation Forum