upcoming restorations?

Cave conservation issues, techniques, questions. Also visit the NSS Cave Conservation and Management Section.

Moderator: Moderators

upcoming restorations?

Postby wendy » Apr 1, 2006 8:23 am

I am wondering if anyone knows of any upcoming restoration work in caves (other than the one in VA Easter weekend) in the southeast US? I am wanting to learn clean-up techniques, etc and figured hands on would be the best.

Thanks in advance for ya'lls help.
wendy
Global Moderator

Name: Wendy
NSS #: 53923
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Flint River Grotto

Postby graveleye » Apr 1, 2006 10:01 am

hey I'm interested in this too.... I recall back in the early 80s hauling trash out of the Kingston/Cartersville Cave in Georgia.... it was my first "wild" cave and I was horrified and disgusted at the garbage and grafitti. Bless our hearts, we were just a small handfull of kids in my high-school science club and we couldnt even make a dent in it. Somewhere, someones liver is suffering because I have never seen so many beer cans.
I didnt get to join the real clean-up project later when it was gated, so I've felt an obligation be a part of really doing something like this..

I'm keeping my eye on this thread:)
graveleye
Global Moderator

Name: Kevin Glenn
NSS #: 57238RL

Mammoth Cave Restoration Field Camp

Postby Rvanhoo » Apr 25, 2006 5:56 pm

There are still a few spots left for the weeklong summer restoration camp at Mammoth Cave National Park. Check the camp website at http://www.mcnprestoration.com for info and sign-up.
Rvanhoo
Infrequent Poster

Re: Mammoth Cave Restoration Field Camp

Postby wendy » Apr 26, 2006 12:01 pm

Rvanhoo wrote:There are still a few spots left for the weeklong summer restoration camp at Mammoth Cave National Park. Check the camp website at http://www.mcnprestoration.com for info and sign-up.

Originally I was planning on going to that, but I couldn't get away with taking that much time off of work, so now I am looking for a weekend clean-up, preferably something where I can receive some training in lint removal.

If anyone has a cave with some lint in it and wants to show me how to clean it, let me know, and maybe we can just organize our own clean-up. :woohoo:
wendy
Global Moderator

Name: Wendy
NSS #: 53923
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Flint River Grotto

Return to Conservation Forum