Blue Spring Cave Tennessee

Cave conservation issues, techniques, questions. Also visit the NSS Cave Conservation and Management Section.

Moderator: Moderators

Blue Spring Cave Tennessee

Postby Cody JW » Feb 21, 2012 7:46 pm

I have not yet seen this on this forum . I am ashamed to say that recent vandalism has been found in Blue Springs Cave Tennessee. The owner of the cave is changing the locks on the cave. Not sure what will happen to future access. Lonnie had given keys out to a trusted few and had in the past allowed access to cavers who contacted him ahead of time. Anyone who has plans on trips in the near future needs to keep this in mind. Lonnie is one of the best landowners in TAG and will do what is best for the cave.
It only takes one person to surrender a dog to a kill shelter ,but it takes many to rescue it.
Cody JW
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Jeff Cody
NSS #: 23961

Re: Blue Springs Cave Tennessee

Postby Scott McCrea » Feb 21, 2012 7:55 pm

That's terrible. What kind of damage was done and how hard will it be to fix?
Scott McCrea
SWAYGO
Scott McCrea
Global Moderator

NSS #: 40839RL
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Flittermouse Grotto

Postby GroundquestMSA » Feb 21, 2012 8:11 pm

Broken speleothems and lots of footprints over flagged and sensitive areas.
GroundquestMSA
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby mgmills » Feb 21, 2012 8:34 pm

The correct name of the Cave is Blue Spring Cave with no "s" at the end of the Spring.

Scott, from what I have read some of the formations may have been removed from the cave. The footprints in sensitive areas will be there forever. Some were in area that were flagged to keep them pristine. Some were in gypsum needle areas.

I think the formations broken were in the early part of the cave but the footprints in pristine areas were well into the cave. You have to do a lot of caving (for most people maybe 2 hours).

There is a facebook page for Blue Spring Cave fans. More information is found there.
Martha Mills
NSS 39864
mgmills
Global Moderator

Name: Martha Mills
NSS #: 39864
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Dogwood City Grotto

Postby graveleye » Feb 22, 2012 8:36 am

This isn't the first time this has happened there is it? A key getting into the wrong hands?
ad astra per aspera

http://www.myspace.com/jamthecontrols

The views expressed in this post are not necessarily those of any organization I am affiliated with.

Become a sustaining member of the SCCI
graveleye
Global Moderator

Name: Kevin Glenn
NSS #: 57238RL

Postby tncaver » Feb 22, 2012 9:25 am

graveleye wrote:This isn't the first time this has happened there is it? A key getting into the wrong hands?

It would seem that a key has been given to a trusted person or group who should not have been trusted. It would seem there
are enough clues to narrow a list down as to who or which group might have done the deed. Boot prints can be measured and photographed to determine a foot size. That won't determine who did the deed but it could perhaps eliminate people with smaller
or larger feet. The type of soul and size of the boots could be determined. Also, I would think that Lonnie would keep a record of who he gives the keys to and the dates the keys were loaned out. If damage was done recently then a list of candidates could be narrowed down considerably if the general date is known when the damage occurred. I know years ago Lonnie lent the key from his mailbox by advance reservation and a log book was in the mailbox with the key. I don't know if that is still true. If keys are now held by only a select few, then maybe it's time to re-evaluate those selected few. However, if the key is still loaned to out of state visitors, then it may be
difficult to determine exactly who caused the damage.
tncaver
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Re: Blue Spring Cave Tennessee

Postby BrianC » Feb 22, 2012 9:42 am

It seems obvious that some one didn't have a chaperon with proper instruction. Any caver worth h/er salt knows Blue Springs etiquette. Shame!
BrianC
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby Cody JW » Feb 23, 2012 10:38 am

I had just seen a FB post from Lonnie saying the cave is not closed ( I have seen others say it is) . I suspect Lonnie is just going to qualify trips on an individual basis. This same post said a group from Dogwood City was going this weekend.Limiting access is probably a good thing as some of my recent visits to the cave I have seen large groups of what appeared to me to be novice cavers. On my last trips I have also seen so many cars around the parking area I thought it was a used car lot. I was amazed at how the formations not far from the entrance were in as good of shape as it was considering the amount of traffic I had witnessed . Lonnie is a great guy and also a smart guy and I suspect he will be able to keep the cave open and be able to monitor access as needed. I am keeping my fingers crossed hoping his generosity does not come back to bite him.
It only takes one person to surrender a dog to a kill shelter ,but it takes many to rescue it.
Cody JW
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby graveleye » Feb 23, 2012 1:44 pm

I just looked at his FB page and I don't see anything about BSC being closed or open... no mention at all. Couldn't find anything in the news stream from him either.
ad astra per aspera

The views expressed in this post are not necessarily those of any organization I am affiliated with.

graveleye
Global Moderator

Postby Cody JW » Feb 23, 2012 2:18 pm

He was commenting on another persons page. You will not see it on his page.
Cody JW
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby boreholio » Feb 23, 2012 8:21 pm

It's on the Blue Spring Cave of Tennessee fans page. Find that on Facebook and join, then you can see it as well as maps, photos, etc.
boreholio
Frequent Poster

NSS #: 17337FE

Postby graveleye » Feb 24, 2012 1:22 pm

yep, I finally saw it.
ad astra per aspera

graveleye
Global Moderator

Postby Larry E. Matthews » Feb 25, 2012 10:27 pm

According to the report by Anne Elmore, someone walked all over the jaguar footprints, which were clearly flagged to prevent just that.

Also, some of the formations broken near the Entrance are missing, so you would have to assume they were carried out.

I vote for the Death Penalty !!! (But slow..........and extremely painful.)

Larry E. Matthews
NSS #6792-F
Larry E. Matthews
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

NSS #: 6792
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Nashville Grotto

Postby LukeM » Feb 27, 2012 8:44 am

Larry E. Matthews wrote:According to the report by Anne Elmore, someone walked all over the jaguar footprints, which were clearly flagged to prevent just that.

These new prints are clear evidence of a humanoid so stupid that thousands of years from now these prints will be revered as evidence of the last surviving Neanderthals.
LukeM
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Luke Mazza
NSS #: 59317
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Syracuse University Outing Club

Postby BrianC » Feb 27, 2012 9:42 am

Someone needs to fess up to what happened here, so the future can be tweaked as what to look out for when entering this world class masterpiece! If I were to guess, It would be a large group with many inexperienced spelunkers, along and not enough supervision! What else could have occurred?
BrianC
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Next

Return to Conservation Forum