Big Shakeup at TDEC

Cave conservation issues, techniques, questions. Also visit the NSS Cave Conservation and Management Section.

Moderator: Moderators

Big Shakeup at TDEC

Postby tncaver » Feb 4, 2012 2:20 pm

The Haslam administration has let go two of the top officials in the Tennessee Department of Environment and Conservation. A third official
retired voluntarily or so he said. I wonder if this will eventually have any affect on cave closures here in TN. Read about it in the following link:

http://www.newschannel5.com/story/16674 ... nistration
tncaver
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Re: Big Shakeup at TDEC

Postby BrianC » Feb 6, 2012 1:52 pm

john,
i can only hope that Tennessee realizes its responsibility to its residence, but after much corresponding with them, I won't hold my breath. The issues we seek help with are strictly on the Federal level and require states to adhere or be disqualified for federal funding. That only makes correspondence required on the federal level as well. All in all, it will make any environmental consideration well thought out in the near short term future of Tennessee. That is a good thing.
BrianC
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby Larry E. Matthews » Feb 25, 2012 10:33 pm

The person who is leaving "voluntarily" is Mike Carlton, who was head of the Parks Program.

Mike Carlton called me on the telephone at my little cubicle there at TDEC back in 2005. He said he had seen my new book on Dunbar Cave. I thought: "Gee, he likes it and called me to tell me so."

No, he told me it was a "Conflict of Interest" and threatened me over the phone. I was so shocked, I didn't know what to think !!! Of course, it was not a Conflict of Interest. I had read the State's Policy carefully. If it really had been, I'm sure they would have marched me up to the Commissioner's Office and fired me that afternoon.

But then, as now, the Big Boys hate cavers (we have challenged them in Court......and won !!!), so they thought they would take it out on me. The whole group of them are bullies........and cowards.

Larry E. Matthews
NSS #6792-F
Larry E. Matthews
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

NSS #: 6792
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Nashville Grotto

Postby NZcaver » Feb 25, 2012 10:46 pm

I dunno... that Dunbar Cave book seems very controversial. :roll: I wouldn't want my name associated with something like that. :tonguecheek:

It seems Karma may take her sweet time, but she gets there eventually. Goodbye Mr Carlton, whoever you are. :waving:
NZcaver
Global Moderator

Name: Jansen
NSS #: 50665RL

Return to Conservation Forum